Chain Saw Massacre

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

On our travels this year I noticed in some places where we moored for the night big holes in the hedgerow and by the pile of ash laying on the tow path it was obivious that boats had moored for the winter.

Whilst walking the dog the last few days I have noticed that the chainsaw massacre has started again,not cutting up timber that is laying around but actually cutting down the hedges at the side of the canal.

S5300958.jpg

I wonder if people realise that these hedgerows are a part of the heritage of the canal as some of the hedges are laid hedges, cut by hand and laid to produce the perfect fencing for livestock.

In today's mechanised world of hedge management these samples of hedge laying will disappear fast enough without boaters attacking them with chain saw's.

S5300956.jpg

Above a sample of a laid hedge.

We are currently moored at Weedon where the canal is well above the sorrounding area and the root systems of these bushes are used to strengthen the embankment but yet boater's attack them with chainsaws.

S5300959.jpg

I have noticed in other topics that people are having trouble lighting their fires, which they will do if they are using green wood from the hedgerow and not seasoned wood.

S5300957.jpg

Regards

Andy

I strongly agree with this.

We burn a lot of wood, but I would never dream of dropping any live wood; although if it's destined for an early end I'll happily stack it for a few months.

There were a couple of boaters caught red handed last year on the W&B; dropping Birch after i had had a long conversation about what would burn better green. One was naive and didn't see anything wrong in dropping timber until he was told otherwise, the other was systematically cruising to places that hadn't been hit too hard so as to prune off his fuel. I think they both should've been prosecuted.

People often say that if you can't afford a mooring think twice about ccing; I would debate that, however if you can't afford fuel it's time to ask the council for a flat.

Someone I know quite well has a length of woodland adjoining the K&A canal, and regularly has to chase boaters with chain saws off his land. He is an enthusiastic ecologist and gets furious about the way people trespass onto hs land and desecrate living trees because they are too mean to buy fuel. The irony is that if they asked, he would willingly allow them to collect dead wood and to coppice selected trees under his supervision.

I strongly agree with this.

We burn a lot of wood, but I would never dream of dropping any live wood; although if it's destined for an early end I'll happily stack it for a few months.

There were a couple of boaters caught red handed last year on the W&B; dropping Birch after i had had a long conversation about what would burn better green. One was naive and didn't see anything wrong in dropping timber until he was told otherwise, the other was systematically cruising to places that hadn't been hit too hard so as to prune off his fuel. I think they both should've been prosecuted.

People often say that if you can't afford a mooring think twice about ccing; I would debate that, however if you can't afford fuel it's time to ask the council for a flat.

And the likelihood of getting one? (flat that is)

The likelihood of a harvester being prosecuted is?

It is not necessarily about not being able to afford fuel either is it?, nor is it about not being able to afford a mooring either?

It is primarily about living as cheaply as possible and that takes no account of income or affordability. It is all about the least you have to fork out!

Some people really have no conscience!

It is not necessarily about not being able to afford fuel either is it?, nor is it about not being able to afford a mooring either?

It is primarily about living as cheaply as possible and that takes no account of income or affordability. It is all about the least you have to fork out!

And that is the real problem!

If you don't get a flat, a signpost to a deposit guarantee scheme and a crisis loan for rent in advance shouldn't be beyond most. Ideally not buying a boat to live on when you've not the initiative to keep yourself in windfall, if not coal is a start.

The harvesters were caught red handed and yet the police weren't called!

Of the two harvesters, both were people who did not have a mooring, one of them couldn't afford enough coal to keep warm; the other though the world owed him a living. The first was the naive one and barely lasted the winter on his boat before selling up.

As to forking out...

I love them, got 3 but used to work as contractor for English Nature and woodland trust on SSSI's. Like anything, in the right hands a useful tool, in the wrong hands a bloody massacare.

Couldn't agree more.

And some have no money.

Thats not an excuse for vadalism!

Quite what hedges have to do with the support of the man who holds the distinction of coaching the most wins in University of Utah history I dont know, but there is no excuse for vandalism.

It cant all be blamed on boaters , fisherman who stay out all night have a fine time with little camp fires that very soon become bonfires as the proceed to strip whatever wood they can from trees and fences.

the flashes along the leigh branch going to the bridgewater is one place you can see plenty of fires lit and the flashes at i think billinge on the trent and mersey is another place , its not one fire its several and the fisherman get the wood from somewhere , it is not all bits of deadwood.

I have yet to see a boater destroying trees but whoever does it its not on.

And the prize for dropping the most trees, pointlessly?

BW every time their scorched earth policy clears a bit more embankment.

A few years ago they dropped everything between Rugby and All Oaks and, when asked if it was alright to have some for firewood, the answer was no and thieves would be prosecuted.

Then the chippers moved in.....

And the prize for dropping the most trees, pointlessly?

BW every time their scorched earth policy clears a bit more embankment.

A few years ago they dropped everything between Rugby and All Oaks and, when asked if it was alright to have some for firewood, the answer was no and thieves would be prosecuted.

Then the chippers moved in.....

Now that's something that really makes me mad - it has happened up here, too.

Hi,I feel i have to add my ten penneth worth regarding Chainsaw damage. Oh how i wished i had taken pics of the damage to the hedge near to where we were moored which was opposite Crack hill on the Grand Union. The hedge in question was properly laid and looked realy nice,and had been done at least ten years ago,as the laid wood was about 4" across and must have been 30 ft long. Someone had cut into this living timber with a chainsaw just leaving stumps with huge gaps in the headge.This lovely hedge was now doomed to die. Why do these people do things like this???

Dave

Hi,I feel i have to add my ten penneth worth regarding Chainsaw damage. Oh how i wished i had taken pics of the damage to the hedge near to where we were moored which was opposite Crack hill on the Grand Union. The hedge in question was properly laid and looked realy nice,and had been done at least ten years ago,as the laid wood was about 4" across and must have been 30 ft long. Someone had cut into this living timber with a chainsaw just leaving stumps with huge gaps in the headge.This lovely hedge was now doomed to die. Why do these people do things like this???

Dave

I agree with you Dave a lot of long lasting damage can be done in a few minutes with a chainsaw in the wrong hands

Regards

Andy

It cant all be blamed on boaters , fisherman who stay out all night have a fine time with little camp fires that very soon become bonfires as the proceed to strip whatever wood they can from trees and fences.

the flashes along the leigh branch going to the bridgewater is one place you can see plenty of fires lit and the flashes at i think billinge on the trent and mersey is another place , its not one fire its several and the fisherman get the wood from somewhere , it is not all bits of deadwood.

I have yet to see a boater destroying trees but whoever does it its not on.

Lol yes it's standard kit in a fishermans basket, a chainsaw.

Most fishermen whom stay out at night use bivvies and have little gas stoves for tea etc.

The very occaisional bunch of lads decide to stay out fishing all night and end up cold and miserable and may use brushwood to keep a fire going but fishing clubs stamp down on this and all fishing clubs do not allow fires.

Mark

One of the many reasons why we chose to live on the canals was to escape from this type of selfish behaviour.

We were drawn to the fact that canal folk are inclined to look after and help each other should the need arise. Sadly, this tradition seems to be in the decline on dry land!

The scenes from the OP suggest that the acts were committed by inconsiderate boaters, the type of which, I hope, are not on the increase.

Heaven forbid that we begin to encounter the type of behaviour witnessed on our roads, on the canals :lol:

Someone I know quite well has a length of woodland adjoining the K&A canal, and regularly has to chase boaters with chain saws off his land. He is an enthusiastic ecologist and gets furious about the way people trespass onto hs land and desecrate living trees because they are too mean to buy fuel. The irony is that if they asked, he would willingly allow them to collect dead wood and to coppice selected trees under his supervision.

Hi, I was wondering where your friends woodland is and how I can contact him? Always need more wood :-)