Historic BW boats - so what happens now?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

So the great "Could you restore a historic boat?" offer draws to its close. http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...a-historic-boat

Now we must wait and see who is deemed "suitable" to buy these craft on offer. As you will see from the list all are correctly described ........ take "Derwent" a Northwich hopper, err isnt that a Yarwoods "River" class Leeds & Liverpool boat???

Most too are steel (thats BW slang for iron in some cases) - so I hope the interested parties have done their homework.

So who decides where these are going, does the money offered really matter? How much is this excercise costing anyway?? It seem to have started life in 2004 http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...e-for-old-boats and been on and off ever since.

Lets hope this time they actually do sell them, then all they have to do is repeat the exercise with all the others. We await with true excitment!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

So the great "Could you restore a historic boat?" offer draws to its close. http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...a-historic-boat

Now we must wait and see who is deemed "suitable" to buy these craft on offer. As you will see from the list all are correctly described ........ take "Derwent" a Northwich hopper, err isnt that a Yarwoods "River" class Leeds & Liverpool boat???

Yes it is, but a very daunting prospect.

If I were 20 years younger I'd have been sorely tempted to take it on, but maybe too realistic now :lol:

So who decides where these are going, does the money offered really matter? How much is this excercise costing anyway?? It seem to have started life in 2004 http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...e-for-old-boats and been on and off ever since.

Lets hope this time they actually do sell them, then all they have to do is repeat the exercise with all the others. We await with true excitment!

I do hope the 'right' people are making the decisions. There was one Narrow Boat on the list for which I would have made a serious offer but I knew that someone perhaps more deserving wanted it. I sincerely hope that he gets it, rather than someone else with maybe a bigger cash offer.

Tim

The Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society is having its AGM at 2pm at Foulridge on Saturday afternoon when the future of the L&LC heritage boat Kennet will be discussed. Kennet is already there and will be open to inspection before the meeting. The society has been looking after Kennet on BW's behalf for about two years, and if it is agreed by the members, will sign a five year lease. The society has already spent almost £2000 to make the hull less likely to leak, with thanks for their help to Worsley Drydocks and surveyor Mike Carter.

The hold of Kennet has been used for displays and events for around twenty years, and she is now in need of improvement, such as renewal of the steps into the hold and new displays, besides replacement of the sheets and other routine maintenance. It is expected that a Heritage Lottery Grant can be obtained, as well as looking to local authorities and canal businesses to support the project.

Next year, we expect to be at the Skipton Festival at the beginning of May, and have been invited to the Leeds Waterway Festival in July, whilst in June there is the 200th anniversary of the opening of the canal from Enfield to Blackburn. However, we do need more support from those along the canal. Can you help? Please come along on Saturday and join the society, if you are nor already a member, and support our efforts with Kennet.

Well I guess we will wait and see!! I would have loved to have aquired one, but its just the wrong time and I lack the necessary knowledge to select the right one.

So you knowlegable people, if money was no object, which would you have bought, and why, and which wouldnt you have bought and why.

Well I guess we will wait and see!! I would have loved to have aquired one, but its just the wrong time and I lack the necessary knowledge to select the right one.

So you knowlegable people, if money was no object, which would you have bought, and why, and which wouldnt you have bought and why.

Not on the list but Chiltern, because it's super sexy and not safe in their hands.

Which wouldn't I have bought....anything made of metal.

Edited by carlt

Not on the list but Chiltern, because it's super sexy and not safe in their hands.

Which wouldn't I have bought....anything made of metal.

Chiltern is now cut in two and sitting on the bank.

Edit - just seen Liams pics and other thread.

If only I had the time ........ and the money ........ and the skills........

Edited by Satellite

Edit - just seen Liams pics and other thread.

If only I had the time ........ and the money ........ and the skills........

Devils advocate here.

If you - or anyone had the time, and money did not exist or was not needed, you had the skills, but there was no-one else in the world to see the result of your efforts - would you still want to continue?

:lol:

I'd love Chiltern, it would feed my stove for the whole winter. Someone would buy the scrap metal and build a replica around it calling it Chiltern.

I photographed CHILTERN on the bank at Ellesmere Port on 07 April 1996 (and 21 August 1998 / 23 April 2000 / 20 April 2003 / 26 March 2005). I was under the impression that CHILTERN had not been out of the water for long and my photographs show it to be a complete boat. I last photographed CHILTERN on 12 April 2009 in exactly the same position as in 1996, but still as a complete boat.

Does this mean that CHILTERN has been cut in two since Easter ?

I'd love Chiltern, it would feed my stove for the whole winter. Someone would buy the scrap metal and build a replica around it calling it Chiltern.

I've tried old work boat, on the burner.

The raging inferno, coupled with thick black smoke renders it pretty unsuitable for domestic use.

I photographed CHILTERN on the bank at Ellesmere Port on 07 April 1996 (and 21 August 1998 / 23 April 2000 / 20 April 2003 / 26 March 2005). I was under the impression that CHILTERN had not been out of the water for long and my photographs show it to be a complete boat. I last photographed CHILTERN on 12 April 2009 in exactly the same position as in 1996, but still as a complete boat.

Does this mean that CHILTERN has been cut in two since Easter ?

I heard a few weeks ago that the decision had been made.

Tim

Devils advocate here.

If you - or anyone had the time, and money did not exist or was not needed, you had the skills, but there was no-one else in the world to see the result of your efforts - would you still want to continue?

Sorry Derek I may be being a bit dense (likely!) but not exactly sure what you're asking. If I had the time and skills or money (either one would do) I would definitely have a wooden boat - unless you agreed to sell me yours! :lol:

Sorry Derek I may be being a bit dense (likely!) but not exactly sure what you're asking. If I had the time and skills or money (either one would do) I would definitely have a wooden boat - unless you agreed to sell me yours! :lol:

Is it still afloat? Hope so. Van and back trouble haunting me these past months.

No, not dense Mark, I get into cryptic mode now and then. It was a bit of a philosophical question. People always want a bit more than they already have. Generally because they see it as some kind of status amongst peers. Under the current scenario my suggestion seems improbable if not impossible, but if money did not exist, and if you had all the time in the world, with the associated material and skills necessary, but more importantly - there was no-one else around to see your prized possession and handywork - would you still want 'that' boat if it was more than somewhere just to keep warm and dry?

This seems a bit off topic, but BW in auctioning off their craft were originally if I'm not mistaken, unaware of any historic 'value' of some craft (that word 'value' is relative). When the bids went in and someone alerted them to the 'historic' context, the brakes went on and they became selective. There seems to me only one reason for that - an eye for an extra buck mainly - but also a little credence amongst those who sought to maintain some disappearing heritage - face saving (bit late). For them, it looks like a win - win situation, and probably is, though there may be more work to do for someone in an office somewhere.

It all revolves around greed and fear. Greed for making a bit more, and fear of losing any. The 'value' of anything (above basic needs of food, shelter and warmth), is determined by the person wanting the item, and how he sees his status improve in the eyes of his peers.

Friendship is something greatly valued. How many would turn up at a boat gathering - say Braunston - if no-one came with a boat? Quite a few - but as many? Perhaps a silly question. Friendship should be ongoing - as should boating!

No fun Derek.

Is it still afloat? Hope so. Van and back trouble haunting me these past months.

Yup it is still afloat. Frank keeps an eye on it for me, I mean you!!! I'll (probably) be down this weekend so will take a couple of pics and email them over.

It is a good question - I would definately like a wooden boat to go boating with. They swin so much better and have a different feel. If I am honest I wouldn't have Chiltern. The Green Man is a very nice little boat and I would have something new built along the same lines.

- I would definately like a wooden boat to go boating with. They swin(m) so much better and have a different feel.

Yes they do swim & feel much better. But why? Is it because (most) wood floats anyway and steel plates sink like a stone unless made into a boat shape? If you took an empty wooden narrowboat onto a deep(say > 6ft) canal- minimum amount of iron in the knees, no engine etc., then pumped water into it , would it sink to the bottom or float ?

I can't do this experiment myself , the canal isn't deep enough.

Daft question , I know

Bill

Yes they do swim & feel much better. But why? Is it because (most) wood floats anyway and steel plates sink like a stone unless made into a boat shape? If you took an empty wooden narrowboat onto a deep(say > 6ft) canal- minimum amount of iron in the knees, no engine etc., then pumped water into it , would it sink to the bottom or float ?

I can't do this experiment myself , the canal isn't deep enough.

Daft question , I know

Bill

Having carried out this experiment, in 8' of water, I can confirm that they sink.

I would actually question whether they actually swim better than a metal boat.

A Nurser unquestionably swims better than the vast majority of clonecraft but I think a metal Josher would have the edge over a Joey.