new topics

mikevye

Featured Posts

I have received a PM from a member stating that she'd not been contributing to the forum as much as usual because quote "everythings been done to death" To some extent I have to agree, as in coronation street you could miss umpteen episodes and still pick up the thread weeks/months later so are there any undiscused topics left? For instance how would you single handedly keelhaul SWMBO for not making the tea! or paint the hull without dry docking, or have even these been discussed already?

hi I can see the point that many things that come up on the forum may have been discussed before on here and can be boring to go over them again, as a newbie there are certain things I would like to know the answer to. I have used the search many of times to see if the topic has been talked about before, But when you use the search it comes up with loads of topics and most of them nothing to do with the search you have entered. So has a newbie it is easier to just start a new topic.

Sorry if starting a new topic is making it boring for some as that may have be discussed before.

I whole this is a great site full of useful information and handy tips and yes I have found some using search. :lol:

hi I can see the point that many things that come up on the forum may have been discussed before on here and can be boring to go over them again, as a newbie there are certain things I would like to know the answer to. I have used the search many of times to see if the topic has been talked about before, But when you use the search it comes up with loads of topics and most of them nothing to do with the search you have entered. So has a newbie it is easier to just start a new topic.

Sorry if starting a new topic is making it boring for some as that may have be discussed before.

I whole this is a great site full of useful information and handy tips and yes I have found som e using search. :lol:

As a newbie also, I would agree with MrCJ. Ive learnt alot in the last few weeks. Lots of differing opinions but interestin all the same

I have received a PM from a member stating that she'd not been contributing to the forum as much as usual because quote "everythings been done to death"

A fair point - but information is passed on which may change, for example I started the 'end of week grumble' thread, ends up discussing moorings, which comes up regularly, but things are always changing, we have talked about a new marina and new moorings which may not have been available before. It does get a little repetitive at times, but it does serve as a good jungle drum too. I learnt something new plus we had a giggle over the north south divide to raise a smile. It is up to all of us to keep things alive and this forum is certainly more populated than the other two I sometimes pop into. Also, it does not have to be about boats, perhaps your friend would like to contribute something else? It is just a bit of fun.

It may be my imagination, but it seems to me that the number of daily postings have reduced significantly over the past few months, and even many of the hardened regulars are posting far less frequently, I certainly feel that my daily tally has recently gone down significantly.

Some of this may be due to the fact that people have got a bit tired of repeatedly posting the same advice/information, and a simple link will route the enquirer to an earlier thread, consequently bringing the new thread to a premature end. Again it may be my imagination, but there also appears to be an increasing tendancy for people to click on "recent posts" and ony respond to them, without tracking back through all the forum headings for unread posts, resulting in some interesting items disapearing off the first page and into oblivion. I also feel there is a lesseneing in the quality of many initiating posts, which after a few silly responses die a death.

However a far more concerning is a percieved new tendancy for people to show little or no interest in others, which is certainly making me consider whether I should forget the whole thing and spend my time on something more useful, and if people do not know what I am talking about, it proves my point.

Edited by David Schweizer

I have received a PM from a member stating that she'd not been contributing to the forum as much as usual because quote "everythings been done to death" To some extent I have to agree, as in coronation street you could miss umpteen episodes and still pick up the thread weeks/months later so are there any undiscused topics left? For instance how would you single handedly keelhaul SWMBO for not making the tea! or paint the hull without dry docking, or have even these been discussed already?

Isn't that similar to the way the late Victorian scientists declared that there was no need for science any more because they had discovered everything that could be discovered and invented everything that could be invented?

Isn't that similar to the way the late Victorian scientists declared that there was no need for science any more because they had discovered everything that could be discovered and invented everything that could be invented?

Sometimes, I think they were right.

Richard

Variety of factors I think. Certainly for me this is a "bad" boating time, it's always about now I wonder why I own one, no serious crusing for a while (I'll probably take it to Gloucester a couple of times over the winter, and perhaps to Slimbridge) and the bills come in and the hard work has to be done. Bad boating tends to result in bad posting as well.

Notice what topics do run though. The longest I've started was "Phylis Fan Club" and of my recent ones "Three little kittens" got the most mileage. I would expect to get more out of the heritage thread but I tend to be interested in canal structures while a lot of that is boats. All very laudable, and I'm glad someone preserves boats but it's not me.

At least though, this Forum has a broad range of interests, beyond boating as well. I also post on Magpies in Space, the Chorley FC forum, but I can't easily get to the matches (400 mile round trip) and thus don't post often. They are also very much only interested in Chorley FC. I am far more likely to post about Frome Town's thrilling win over Cirencester last night on this forum rather than that one, because I'd be more likely to get a response.

I do get a bit tired of the same old people banging on about the same old themes. Some do become a bit pantomime like "Oh not it isn't! "Oh Yes it is"

However a far more concerning is a percieved new tendancy for people to show little or no interest in others, which is certainly making me consider whether I should forget the whole thing and spend my time on something more useful, and if people do not know what I am talking about, it proves my point.

Know exactly where you're coming from david. I have had aspirations of getting my name on the top posting board without success, todays leader has 32 postings the input value probably around minus 86. The contributor is even discussing the solid fuel consumption on narrowboats and turned it round to her house!!!!!!!! How unrelated is that????????

Dont mince your words Mike.

I never do, my previous posting ref "don't mince yer worms Filis" was a play on shepards pie not a definitive comment but I knew you'd take it seriously. Oh and before you get another topic reply bouncing back you can have minced lamb=shepards pie as well as beef=cottage pie. x Rachel is a much nicer name.

Are well you see the more you do it the more your copy cat bully boy follows. Or maybe thats why you do it..................

Got me there filis don't know what you're on about. Are you implying that I have a follower/s on the forum? NEW TOPIC not discussed previously New Messiah forms religious canal based sect full immersion baptisms in rat infested canals a speciality!

It seems to me there is a certain clique that sometimes join forces against posters, a natural human trait I suppose, after all that's one of the things that helped us defeat our natural predators and helped us out of the jungle. But I think it's something that should be avoided as it tends to inhibit some who are not naturally group oriented (myself to a certain extent) + I think it can disguise or discourage the occasional original idea that warrants further consideration.

It seems to me there is a certain clique that sometimes join forces against posters, a natural human trait I suppose, after all that's one of the things that helped us defeat our natural predators and helped us out of the jungle. But I think it's something that should be avoided as it tends to inhibit some who are not naturally group oriented (myself to a certain extent) + I think it can disguise or discourage the occasional original idea that warrants further consideration.

You didnt come across as the shy type :lol:

It seems to me there is a certain clique that sometimes join forces against posters,

I actually think most of the members who are accused of being cliquey are happy to fight their own battles, often with each other.

I don't see much cliqueyness at all.