Regulars on London Temporary moorings.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

That appears to liken the poor to vermin.

A popular opinion these days it saddens me to say.

Some folk would just like to be able to afford to live a reasonable distance from their place of work...Not an impossible dream once.

It needn't be an impossible dream.

People just need to realise that life does not revolve around London and the South East.

It needn't be an impossible dream.

People just need to realise that life does not revolve around London and the South East.

It does if that's where you chosen profession is best practiced.

Anyway, I was just about to offer Alan a night or two against our boat on our mooring, until I realised that he started this in 2009! :)

Who do you think will staff the 1400 or so hotels in London...or the 17000 restaurants (for a start)?

To be fair, the assertion wasn't that people are required for certain jobs in London, but that there are careers that you need to be in London to pursue.

To be fair, the assertion wasn't that people are required for certain jobs in London, but that there are careers that you need to be in London to pursue.

Indeed.

Serves me right for trying to make sense of a nonsensical post.

Although, if you are in catering then it makes sense to ply your trade where the most hotels and restaurants are.

Who do you think will staff the 1400 or so hotels in London...or the 17000 restaurants (for a start)?

To a large extent, people who live behind or over the premises, so that's not a wholly typical example. I'd suggest that offices and retail shops, for example, must find it harder to get staff who live down the road.

To a large extent, people who live behind or over the premises, so that's not a wholly typical example. I'd suggest that offices and retail shops, for example, must find it harder to get staff who live down the road.

I doubt many London restaurant or hotel employees live on the premises any more but yes all the essential service and retail industries employ low paid workers.

The catering sector, as I said, was just a start.

The thing about London is that it is so expensive to live there that there will be increasing and ongoing pressures to move those things that don't NEED to be provided in London elsewhere. Those that do need to be provided in London are going to come with an increased cost.

So, Doctors and Nurses; Is there any particularly pressing reason why healthcare needs to be provided where it is currently provided?

If we compare London and the rest of the UK, then it would be quite possible to provide equal access to hospitals for Londoners by relocating all the hospitals into Outer London.

There are many organisations that maintain a London presence for no discernible reason, and they will tend to relocate outwards.

Much of London's own admin is done outside London.

Congestion Charge? Darlington! (used to be located at the side of the Ashton Canal)

Excellent suggestion

I'm pretty sure working in a hotel or restaurant is not classed as a profession.

I think you are not aware of the chambermaids and head housekeepers status, Head/commis chefs and other valuable members of the hotel industry that keeps the Capital filled with international visitors year after year. Some of these are highly prized and awarded at conferences.

One issue our country has is not recognising Waiters/waitresses, and others as a skilled profession, all the continental restaurants do.

It is people like you who complain about service from kids serving meals and not being able to deal with queries/complaints.

• Greenie 1

If I remember rightly, a professional technically is someone who has to qualify and belong to a "professional body" to be classed as such. It's a hangover from the old guilds - got nothing to do with raising standards, just a way of keeping the plebs out. I believe playing golf helps...

Pointless insult of the day...Play nicely please. Thank you.

No insult there Mike. Seemed to me there are some pretty obvious well established professions in the hotel and restaurant trade.

By inference I was also suggesting boilermanning was a profession; just perhaps a less publicly recognised one.

JP

No insult there Mike. Seemed to me there are some pretty obvious well established professions in the hotel and restaurant trade.

By inference I was also suggesting boilermanning was a profession; just perhaps a less publicly recognised one.

JP

I disagree. As Arthur says above, I think you are confusing a profession with an occupation or trade. Boilerising is a trade not a profession, as it hotelierising. Debasement of the language, my Inglish teecher at skool used to call it.

Here is more onformation, and a list of the commonly accepted professions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professions

I disagree. As Arthur says above, I think you are confusing a profession with an occupation or trade. Boilerising is a trade not a profession, as it hotelierising. Debasement of the language, my Inglish teecher at skool used to call it.

Here is more onformation, and a list of the commonly accepted professions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professions

I'm not confused. I think Arthur has a point about the origins of the professions and it's something us Brits get far too worked up about. Calling people by what they properly are is important (as in the distinction between an engineer and a technician) but what you classify it as is frankly all a bit a snobbish.

So I'm happy for you to have your trade. I have got a profession. ?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

The fact remains that there are some who take advantage of A high London wage and fail to understand the problems caused by expecting the functionaries who keep the shops open and the streets and offices clean to manage on a minimum wage. Why pass off the £6.00 pint as if it's a somehow charming feature of the city then demand human beings at a bargain rate? The advantage of being a magnet for the desperate I suppose.