Topping up the fuel

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise how important it is to top up the diesel in between cruises? I,m only going short distances at the moment, a few hours or a day from the mooring and back. How empty does the tank have to be for condensation to become a problem. Thanks in advance, you,re a helpfull bunch on here!!

Phil

Can anyone advise how important it is to top up the diesel in between cruises? I,m only going short distances at the moment, a few hours or a day from the mooring and back. How empty does the tank have to be for condensation to become a problem. Thanks in advance, you,re a helpfull bunch on here!!

Phil

Keep full in winter seems to be the golden rule.

I would have thought any air void whatsoever will attract condensation, so you might try and aim to fill to the brim from cans every trip. But then what do you do about the condensation in the cans.

My strategy is to add plenty of bug killer to the fuel and keep an eye on the fuel line water trap.

I would have thought any air void whatsoever will attract condensation, so you might try and aim to fill to the brim from cans every trip. But then what do you do about the condensation in the cans.

My strategy is to add plenty of bug killer to the fuel and keep an eye on the fuel line water trap.

What is bug killer please ? :lol:

Keep full in winter seems to be the golden rule.

Take care if you are going to fill to the brim in the winter because as the weather warms the diesel will expand and if you are full to the brim it will come out of the breather. I have seen this happens

Take care if you are going to fill to the brim in the winter because as the weather warms the diesel will expand and if you are full to the brim it will come out of the breather. I have seen this happens

Blimey, its all very technical !!! I had no idea you could get bugs in the diesel :lol: I shall top up next week, will be interested to see what my barrus mpg is?

Thanks for all your help so far, on another subject, do boaty people go on ' BLATS' together? When I had my Westfield sportscar some of the members from the owners club would meet up and go out on a run together.( although slightly faster than a NB)... Is that a boaty thing or more a 4 wheel thing?

Phil

Blimey, its all very technical !!! I had no idea you could get bugs in the diesel :lol: I shall top up next week, will be interested to see what my barrus mpg is?

Thanks for all your help so far, on another subject, do boaty people go on ' BLATS' together? When I had my Westfield sportscar some of the members from the owners club would meet up and go out on a run together.( although slightly faster than a NB)... Is that a boaty thing or more a 4 wheel thing?

Phil

Hi Phil

My Barruss 45 does between 1-1.5 Ltr's per hour.

I only keep the diesel at full in the winter whilst it is at the winter mooring to aviod condensation forming.

I use a diesel additive in the summer because I am still suffering the effects of diesel bug in my filters 2 years on. (a black yogurt in the filters)

Alex

Although I know the "keep it full in winter" theory, I am a bit sceptical, TBH.

In a typical "fuel tank in the counter" scenario, as soon as you use any significant amount, the whole of the top of the tank will not be covered, still giving a largish area on which condensation can form anyway.

Dropping the level a few more inches will expose a relatively small additional area of the counter sides, tso the overall increase in "exposed area" and presumably condensation, will also be small.

So unless you are not going to run your engine at all in winter, or constantly top up in very small amounts, I can't see it's practical to avoid an area of potential condensation completely.

The fuel heating in warmer weather is not the only thing that may make it come through a tank breather vent, either. WE managed to come up against an edge rather firmly after brimming the tank on the Oxford canal. "Sloshing" fuel spilled from the vent, and the whole counter became like a skating rink, (and was remarkably difficult to make safe again). I deliberately no longer brim our tank.

Anyway, the boat continues to be used in the winter, so some fuel will always get used as a matter of course, even if it started the winter full.

Of course if you do brim your tank, and someone syphons it, you will lose far more fuel than if it were left near emptyl!

Although I know the "keep it full in winter" theory, I am a bit sceptical, TBH.

In a typical "fuel tank in the counter" scenario, as soon as you use any significant amount, the whole of the top of the tank will not be covered, still giving a largish area on which condensation can form anyway.

Dropping the level a few more inches will expose a relatively small additional area of the counter sides, tso the overall increase in "exposed area" and presumably condensation, will also be small.

So unless you are not going to run your engine at all in winter, or constantly top up in very small amounts, I can't see it's practical to avoid an area of potential condensation completely.

The fuel heating in warmer weather is not the only thing that may make it come through a tank breather vent, either. WE managed to come up against an edge rather firmly after brimming the tank on the Oxford canal. "Sloshing" fuel spilled from the vent, and the whole counter became like a skating rink, (and was remarkably difficult to make safe again). I deliberately no longer brim our tank.

Anyway, the boat continues to be used in the winter, so some fuel will always get used as a matter of course, even if it started the winter full.

Of course if you do brim your tank, and someone syphons it, you will lose far more fuel than if it were left near emptyl!

Thanks very much guys, all useful info. 1-1.5L/ph sounds encouraging also! Off to Ireland now at stupid O clock in the morning........Not on the NB tho :lol:

Phil

I cruise with another boat (both single handed and makes life easier) I fill my tank about every 2/3 weeks my mate fill his about every 6 weeks. Well he has just found out that he has "The Diesel Bug" additives might well stop the bug but once you have it you have to drain the tank and clear all the fuel pipes. Condensation or water in the tank is the ideal breeding ground for the bug. My advice based on this experience is keep tank topped up.

Phil

Yes boaters do go out in groups. We have a group of around 8 boats going out onto the Trent tomorrow and coming back on Sunday. Suspect there will be a large amount of alcohol consumed and much silliness.

On the diesel topic, we aim to keep her at least 3/4 full and have yet to have an issue with the dreaded bug. Just check your water traps on your fuel filters, they give you a good indication as to the condition of your fuel.

I never worry about keeping the tanks topped up and never have done.

I have never suffered from excess water due to condensation or the dreaded fuel bug. Maybe I've been lucky.

I agree with Alan Fincher on this one, the largest surface area where condensation will form is the top of the tank.

Unless you genuinely 'brim' the tank (which would mean spillage when the boat rocked) the top of the tank is always exposed. The breather will always allow air to flow in and out of the tank as the fuel inside expands/contracts (that's its job).

I think surface area is only one consideration. While it is relevant, a more important factor is the volume of moisture laden air inside the tank. A half empty tank can hold a lot of wet air, a full one cant.

That said, I never bother making a special effort to stay full in winter, I use my boat too much for it to be practical to always keep it full. I just put lots of bug killer in and check the water trap regularly and I have had no problems.

Oo ok, so no racing each other down the cut then!!! I,m kiddin. I,ve only just bought my boat, just wish we could bypass winter

Oh no, winter is the best time as we have the water all to ouselves, not that I object to sharing it but less boats means easier mooring, passage etc. As for the "Bug" it actualy lives in the water at bottom of tank so each drop of condensation that runs down tank wall sinks to the bottom and increases the "Bugs" habitat.

Phil

Blimey, you just never stop learning with boats do you. I've never heard of the fuel bug! What on earth is it? (Sounds 'orrible) and what sort of products should I be shopping around for to prevent it? Thanks for any advice chaps!

It is just an additive you pour into the tank just before you refuel. You can get it at most chandlers and on the interweb thingie.

If the bug gets into your system everything stops working, engine heating. It clogs up the pipes and the fuel cant flow.

===========================================

Another little point - if you are heading out onto rough water where the boat will rock about a lot, it is a good idea to fill the tank up. There is less chance of sediment at the bottom of the tank getting picked up and blocking the fuel lines.

Edited by WJM

Hi All,

First post on here, not long got our first boat, can I ask where do I find the fuel filters and what would they look like so I can check, sorry but not very knowledgable on engines etc.

Thanks Richard

Hi Richard,

This image is on Tony Brookes website, Tony is a member on here:

Image2.gif

Your fuel filters are in the line from the fuel tank to the engine, so start by finding the fuel cut-off. There will be a label somewhere that tells you where it is. Follow the pipes to the engine and you will find the filters. One will probably be mounted on the engine itself.

Can you post pictures of your engine bay?

Richard

What is bug killer please ? :lol:

I use Fuel Set

The idea is that it kills the bacteria which grow on the water/oil interface and produce a black sludge when they die which can clog things up.

N

Oo ok, so no racing each other down the cut then!!! I,m kiddin. I,ve only just bought my boat, just wish we could bypass winter

Don't neglect the boat over winter. Put on warm clothes and go cruising. It's great!

N

I think that this is more of a boat maintenance topic, so I will move it there now...

N