When and act of kindness goes wrong

jez1954

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have an electric hook up at the marina for my boat which for the last 6 months I haven't used ( I pay the meter rental in addistion to my mooring fees). In spring a person several boats away ran a line to my hookup to run power tools while do some refit work on their boat. I didn't say anything even though my permission was not sought as I was new to the Marina and wanted to be seen as a good neighbour (I just informed the Marina to bill them and not me for any power used - but that I wasn't relinquishing the hookup to the other party).

Two weeks ago I asked the Marina to read the meter and bill the other party as I intended to start using my hookup myself and asked them to inform the other party of this (who I hardly ever see and I wanted the message to be conveyed "officially").

Last week I removed their connector and attached mine and ran the line into my boat. Yesterday I went to the boat to put the new name on found my cable had been removed and the other persons re-attached and tie-wrapped in place.

I intend to complain to the Marina as this other user must now think they have somehow assumed some sort of ownership rights over my hookup - but what can I do to stop them continuing to remove my cable when I'm not there as has already been done?

So much for trying to be understanding and helpful!

Jez

Hi,

I have an electric hook up at the marina for my boat which for the last 6 months I haven't used ( I pay the meter rental in addistion to my mooring fees). In spring a person several boats away ran a line to my hookup to run power tools while do some refit work on their boat. I didn't say anything even though my permission was not sought as I was new to the Marina and wanted to be seen as a good neighbour (I just informed the Marina to bill them and not me for any power used - but that I wasn't relinquishing the hookup to the other party).

Two weeks ago I asked the Marina to read the meter and bill the other party as I intended to start using my hookup myself and asked them to inform the other party of this (who I hardly ever see and I wanted the message to be conveyed "officially").

Last week I removed their connector and attached mine and ran the line into my boat. Yesterday I went to the boat to put the new name on found my cable had been removed and the other persons re-attached and tie-wrapped in place.

I intend to complain to the Marina as this other user must now think they have somehow assumed some sort of ownership rights over my hookup - but what can I do to stop them continuing to remove my cable when I'm not there as has already been done?

Jez

Try and speak to the chap, you never know, there may be a mix up by the marina and he also thinks he rents that meter.

If you cant get to speak with him then let the marina sort it out

Hi,

Jez

Clearly, if we assume he does not think he is renting your meter, he has stolen your electricity which is a criminal offence. You have, I think, foolishly blurred the lines by not taking immediate action to prevent this chap from using your metered supply.

I cannot imagine my power supplier being impressed if I let my neighbour use my metered electric and then expect them to bill my neighbour.

I would think that a complaint to the marina must bring forward some remedial action e.g a telephone call or letter to the chap explaining the situation. The marina should at the very least remove his hook up for you, after all the meter is their property. At the end of the day you can end the meter rental agreement and do without a hook up for a while. I am sure the marina will chase it up if they are then providing free electric.

Without any way of securing the metered outlet, anyone could use it while you are away, the prospect of some-one taking the p*** and using electric fires, battery chargers etc.... would worry me somewhat.

At the previous marina I was at I paid a supplement for electric on top of the mooring fees but this was un-metered, are you sure yours is not similar?

Approach the marina in a calm, assertive and logical way and I am sure you will get it resolved.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Since you don't see the other boat owner often and official sounding letters from a third party can often cause resentment you might consider a gentle note to the other boat owner explaining the situation with the invitation to drop round, have a cuppa, and discuss it further to clear up the obvious misunderstanding.

You can keep the action through the marina in reserve in case he doesn't respond as you want him to.

Edited by Bazza2

Since you don't see the other boat owner often and official sounding letters from a third party can often cause resentment you might consider a gentle note to the other boat owner explaining the situation with the invitation to drop round, have a cuppa, and discuss it further to clear up the obvious misunderstanding.

You can keep the action through the marina in reserve in case he doesn't respond as you want him to.

I would agree that it seems a proportional responce.

Tim

give him a copy of your rental agreement with everything blacked out apart from your meter rental and your name and address and suggest he takes it up with the marina if he thinks there has been a mistake. And make it clear that if the mistake is down to the marina you expect him to reimburse you with the last 6 months rental - politely of course

Perhaps your 'friend' is running a freezer or fridge off the mains, i doubt he would appreciate a sudden loss of power for whatever reason.

The marina manager should sort it out, that's what they get paid for.

Paul

I'd go for this action. Yes, the marina manager and staff are, ultimately, responsible, but I would have thought that this is a private misunderstanding that will cost you a dab of milk, some water and a PG tips pyramid to sort out, and to either remain on good terms, or leave open the chance of good terms in the future.

It might well be that he's running a fridge off the power from your meter, hence the cable-ties, or is just confused.

There are some things worth getting angry for, and it just seems to me that this isn't one of them, because this could easily snowball out of control and start a long dispute if not dealt with tactfully.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Cut cable ties

remove plug

remake the connection in the plug but without stripping the cable so the insulation is under the screws

replace plug and cable ties

It will take him ages to work out why his system doesn't work

Cut cable ties

remove plug

remake the connection in the plug but without stripping the cable so the insulation is under the screws

replace plug and cable ties

It will take him ages to work out why his system doesn't work

But when he does find the problem, he'll know somebody has fecked with it. FadeToScarlet has it right - don't pick a fight while it may still be a simple misunderstanding.

But when he does find the problem, he'll know somebody has fecked with it. FadeToScarlet has it right - don't pick a fight while it may still be a simple misunderstanding.

Yes but those that know me know that tact and diplomacy has never been my strong point and I have always been a devious one

Better then the previous idea is to break the live under the insulation (easy if you know how with a pair of blunt side cutters) then it looks like wear and tear :lol:

Cut cable ties.

Un plug.

Roll up lead at place back on owners boat.

Plug yours in.

Attach waterproof note saying "I pay the rental on this electric suppy. DO NOT REMOVE. Please come and see me on my boat or see the office manager to discuss".

Cut cable ties

Unplug

Roll up lead and place back on owners boat

Burn owners boat

Plug yours in

Attach waterproof note saying "See what you get?"

Youre joking of course....... :lol: ??

Some in here might not get it..

Cut cable ties

Unplug

Roll up lead and place back on owners boat

Burn owners boat

Plug yours in

Attach waterproof note saying "See what you get?"

Cut cable ties

Unplug

Cut through cable at offending boat's end

Bare ends of cable and connect to his door handle so as to make connection when it is turned

Attach waterproof note saying "If you want my electricity, here it is"

Reconnect plug at meter.

Cut cable ties.

Un plug.

Roll up lead at place back on owners boat.

Plug yours in.

Attach waterproof note saying "I pay the rental on this electric suppy. DO NOT REMOVE. Please come and see me on my boat or see the office manager to discuss".

That sounds fair enough - he should get the message!

To All,

Many thanks for your constructive, illuminating and down right devious responses - just wish I had the courage to actively pursue some of the more extreme suggestions (luv em all!).

I had a word with the marina director this afternoon and he said that XXXX knows they have no hookup and that he would sort it - you never know....the other party may also follow this site and realise what a twat they have been!

Jez

By the way, following a doubling of the price of pre-paid BW electricity cards a couple of years ago, some of us looked into the legal obligations of those supplying electricity to third parties such as landlords with meters in flats, and owners of caravan parks and marinas..

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but I believe thet one of the stipulations is that although they may recoup the cost of the electrical infrastructure, they are not permitted to make a profit on the electricity itself. The other thing is that under the law you have the right to see how any charges are calculated.

When you mentioned that you were renting your meter it reminded me. Is this a common practice?

Edited by blackrose