Fitch Fuel Conditioner

colin stone

Featured Posts

Quote: "You will always be able to find someone that thought they saw a difference or wanted to believe that what they just paid for actually works."

Sound familiar in the world of marine battery charging?

Anyone used one of these yet??

Fitch Fuel Conditioner

Many years ago I did an evaluation of a similar product for petrol engines (magnets and metallic nodules inside a tube through which the fuel was supplied) in a vehicle of mine. I could find no difference with the exhaust gases ( I had a four gas analyser and full engine tuning equipment in those days) or the economy.

Looking at the Barrus test report I see they quote a reduction in Nitrogen Oxides (NOx, to those in the emissions business) which they put down to more efficient combustion of the fuel (probably). Unfortunately for them, in the vehicle manufacturing and emissions development game you reduce diesel NOx by reducing the volume efficiency of the combustion by the controlled introduction of burnt exhaust gas via EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) via two means: 1. Internal EGR by careful selection of valve timing and 2. External re-introduction of exhaust gas via an EGR valve that recirculates gas going down the exhaust manifold into the cylinder in controlled amounts at certain conditions of engine temperature and revs. This reduces the fresh cylinder charge available for burn and hence reduces the burn temperature hence reducing the formation of NOx which mainly occurs at very high temperature (i.e. efficient full combustion in an excess of air...........a diesel engine).

I'm very wary of these devices. They've been around for years and yet not one single vehicle manufacturer has fitted them as standard in an environment where fuel efficiency and reduced emissions are mandated by European law...........does that indicate something?

Roger

Edited by Albion

Now he's making fuel conditioner..........does that mean he won't be breaking into any more boats?...

Are you thinking of Al Finch? :lol:

All these so-called fuel conditioners, improvers, refiners etc. are crap, don't believe a word they say, all you need to do to save fuel and improve emissions is to drive more carefully, don't brake harshly and then accelerate, carry only half a tank of fuel tops, empty your boot of all useless junk and tell your passengers to get the bus... :lol:

Or even better, get the bus yourself... :lol:

Edited by twocvbloke

Quote: "You will always be able to find someone that thought they saw a difference or wanted to believe that what they just paid for actually works."

Sound familiar in the world of marine battery charging?

Yes it does sound familiar, except that in the example to which you allude there will also be those who not only thought they saw a difference but were able to accurately measure that difference too.

Edited by blackrose

It seems like solidified snake oil to me! :lol:

It all sounds just like the fuel catalysts they tried to sell in the 80s/90s for cars that only ran on leaded fuel. They didn't work then ,the device relied on the build up of leaded fuel protection before you switched over which could last several 1000 miles if not driven hard. It was just a way to extract some of your hard earned if you were gullible enough.

Yes it does sound familiar, except that in the example to which you allude there will also be those who not only thought they saw a difference but were able to accurately measure that difference too.

Can we take it you have purchased one of these wonderful devices?

Possibly a good many. Snake Oil products are more often than not sold on the pryamid selling principle.

Oddly enough it would appear from looking at their website that Midlands are selling them. I am not saying that makes the things any more than snake oil though.

Over the period of a few years I was involved in testing some of these devices, The manufacturers wanted an endorsment from an internationally recognised institution to support their claims. Needless to say they all made not the slightest difference except one.......

The engine used was a 6 cylinder diesel on a test bed instrumented with extremely accurate measurement devices that were regularly calibrated. The guy turned up with this device. We warmed up the engine, ran through a series of tests without the device being fitted and recorded the data.

After lunch the device was fitted, the engine brought back up to running temperature and the exact same set of tests repeated. On examining the data from the test it was found that there had been a very slight improvement in (from memory) fuel economy. The guy was as much delighted with this as we were surprised. We checked over the equipment, the usual post-test checks to find that atmospheric pressure had risen quite considerably over the lunch hour, this accounted for the improvement.

The guy insisted that it was his device that improved matters and in his advertising used our name as an endorsement of the product, our solicitors soon stopped that!

John

Are you thinking of Al Finch? :lol:

All these so-called fuel conditioners, improvers, refiners etc. are crap, don't believe a word they say, all you need to do to save fuel and improve emissions is to drive more carefully, don't brake harshly and then accelerate, carry only half a tank of fuel tops, empty your boot of all useless junk and tell your passengers to get the bus... :lol:

Get your passengers push you and save fuel. :lol:

As for buses, not cheap and slow (March to Wisbish 16 miles return, Car 15 mins each way cost £2.00 ret, Bus £5.00 each ret

35-40 mins each way no buses after 5pm)

Firesprite

Middle Levels

As for buses, not cheap and slow (March to Wisbish 16 miles return, Car 15 mins each way cost £2.00 ret, Bus £5.00 each ret

35-40 mins each way no buses after 5pm)

And 'they' wonder why we don't use public transport...