Blocking PM's

Featured Posts

Can folks please confirm what happens when you block PM's from certain named members.

Unfortunately I have found it necessary to block PM's from certain forum members.

When this is in place what (if anything), does a blocked member get back if they send a PM?

Or do they think the recipient has seen the message sent?

Thanks all,

Hi MJG,

Can't help with the blocking of PM's as I've never had to do it or haven't tried it. However if you are having problems with the content of PM's which are being sent to you then you need to speak to either myself or another Mod who will investigate.

Liam.

When this is in place what (if anything), does a blocked member get back if they send a PM?

Not sure why it matters if somebody knows you have blocked them or not ?

Anyway, (nothing personal!), I have just blocked PMs from you as a test, so if you want to try and PM me and report back, (not by PM!), what happens, please feel free to do so!

I've posted a large number of topics which could potentially derive PMs but in all this time I have received only one which disagreed with my point of view but nevertheless was constructive and balanced. What the feck are you doing to receive suficient PMs as to want to refuse them?

Not sure why it matters if somebody knows you have blocked them or not ?

Anyway, (nothing personal!), I have just blocked PMs from you as a test, so if you want to try and PM me and report back, (not by PM!), what happens, please feel free to do so!

Thanks Alan,

I can report that posting to a member who has blocked you generates the following message:

The following Error has Occurred

This member has chosen not to be contactable by the board Messenger

This personal message has not been sent.

As for my reasons that was not the subject of the thread and with the answer to my query now provided I don't think there is anything further to add.

Having just exchanged a few PMs with the OP, who wanted to continue in private an argument he'd started in public, I can see how he's antagonised people - clearly not just me. I for one would always prefer to conduct a discussion in public, with witnesses, rather than retreating into a corner. If the OP feels this post is unfair on him I'd be happy for him to post the whole correspondence (I can't, as I didn't keep it) and let others judge.

Interestingly, I logged back on just now in order to offer to block PMs from him so that he could see what happened, but I see someone beat me to it.

Edited by WarriorWoman

I block pms from anyone who sends me abusive mail, or wishes to carry on debates that I feel should be either public or nowhere.

There are other folk who, though they have never sent me a pm, if they did so I'm sure it would be tiresome, so they're on the list.

Having just exchanged a few PMs with the OP, who wanted to continue in private an argument he'd started in public, I can see how he's antagonised people - clearly not just me. I for one would always prefer to conduct a discussion in public, with witnesses, rather than retreating into a corner. If the OP feels this post is unfair on him I'd be happy for him to post the whole correspondence (I can't, as I didn't keep it) and let others judge.

Interestingly, I logged back on just now in order to offer to block PMs from him so that he could see what happened, but I see someone beat me to it.

I too received a PM from the OP in relation to the same thread. As a result, he has joined the other two members of my block list.

Seeking to take a public discussion to PM is very very silly indeed, and I won't play that game.

My list is 10 names, 4 of which are multiple ids from the same member, who has been banned from the site on 3 occasions.

You're not on it......yet :lol:

My list has one name - the OP. I thought I ought to return the favour. I really don't want my inbox filled up by tiresome people who want to start a fight and then run away.

My list is 10 names, 4 of which are multiple ids from the same member, who has been banned from the site on 3 occasions.

You're not on it......yet :lol:

I feel a quote about not wanting to join a club that would accept me as a member coming on. Can't remember if that was Karl or Groucho, though. They're so easily confused.

My list has one name - the OP. I thought I ought to return the favour. I really don't want my inbox filled up by tiresome people who want to start a fight and then run away.

You might as well block me, too. Although I normally go straight to "run away" without passing through "start a fight", to save time.

I feel a quote about not wanting to join a club that would accept me as a member coming on. Can't remember if that was Karl or Groucho, though. They're so easily confused.

That's fighting talk!

You might as well block me, too. Although I normally go straight to "run away" without passing through "start a fight", to save time.

Come back!

Why?

If that's a "why" as in "why should you block me?", that's because I was including myself in the sub-group "tiresome people...".

If that's a "why" as in "why do you always run away", that's because I need the exercise. I am actually Very Brave. Honest.

Why block people? You can always see what they have to say and then ignore it anyway

Because I don't want the e-mail that it generates, and if I'm going to ignore somebody, it seems courteous to ensure that they know I will be ignoring them

I relish the cut and thust of spirited debate, the sillier and more surreal the better, and there are to mind mind, a number of like minded people on here. I have never had cause to block PM's from anyone, however if anyone became so abusive that I could't deal with them (a scenario I don't think would ever happen), I would have no issues with copying and pasting to a Mod. for resolution.

I relish the cut and thust of spirited debate, the sillier and more surreal the better, and there are to mind mind, a number of like minded people on here. I have never had cause to block PM's from anyone, however if anyone became so abusive that I could't deal with them (a scenario I don't think would ever happen), I would have no issues with copying and pasting to a Mod. for resolution.

It's not just PM's I'm blocking. I don't like the look of any of the Cabinet either...

Richard

That'll show him.

gordon-brown1.jpg

I've never found Nine of Hearts tiresome!

I wouldn't ever choose to block posts from anyone - as you say, it is all part of the cut and thrust of the forum.

But PMs are a different matter because there is limited storage space and if someone fills it up trying to continue an argument that I already said I didn't intend to get drawn into, I might miss a PM that is actually important and/or interesting. Blocking that someone prevents this happening. PMs aren't (IMHO) there as a means of continuing arguments away from the public gaze; they are for when you want to impart information that is confidential or too personal to post publicly, or, possibly, of incredibly minority interest.