Are all surveyors equal?

boots

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm sure this topic must have been covered many times before, so apologies up front and would be grateful if any one could point me in the right direction of a thread - or any experiences they have with a Surveyor.

We have just put a deposit on a boat :lol: and so now have to arrange the all important survey.

The boat is a 1988 Colecraft, which has had some re-plating done recently and a Lister TS3 engine. (Located in the midlands Nuneaton/Tamworth ish area)

We are therefore looking for a good surveyor to give the boat a good looking at, ideally someone who is particularly good when it comes to replated hulls and who can explain it to a Newbie!

Now, other than seeing adverts in the magazines, we have nothing by which to judge what makes a suitable surveyor?

Therefore, can any one give us any pointers in the right direction?

Any information appreciated,

regards,

Martin

Surveyors do vary unfortunately, however, I do know a very thorough one near your area, whom I would recommend without a second thought.

Paul Smith of narrowboat Surveys Ltd., Tel: 07702206240 or 01527 854039

We have used him before, and whilst I dare say he may not be the cheapest, you can rest assured he will be about the most thorough you will find. He can do surveys at different levels if you require.

Good luck with it!

Surveyors do vary unfortunately, however, I do know a very thorough one near your area, whom I would recommend without a second thought.

Paul Smith of narrowboat Surveys Ltd., Tel: 07702206240 or 01527 854039

We have used him before, and whilst I dare say he may not be the cheapest, you can rest assured he will be about the most thorough you will find. He can do surveys at different levels if you require.

Good luck with it!

I have used Paul Smith twice and can confirm he is an excellent surveyor and VERY THOROUGH which might be why a marina I bought a boat from was'nt too keen on me using him.

Best wishes

Ditchdabbler

I have used Paul Smith twice and can confirm he is an excellent surveyor and VERY THOROUGH which might be why a marina I bought a boat from was'nt too keen on me using him.

Best wishes

Ditchdabbler

Paul Smith is the surveyor for Cobbett (my new boat) recommended by everybody I know who's had dealings with him. He's been very straight forward and clear and I have every confidence in him. Warwickshire 01527 854039 or 07702 206240.

Christopher Berry did the survey on Surprise and he was really good - thorough, clear and fair - gave recommendations for BSS and for future maintenance of the boat. He's in North Bristol 01454 269696 or 07710 175871. He has a lovely dog too!

Jill

Can I add a request for a recommendation of a surveyor who covers West Yorkshire? (I'm at Sowerby Bridge, and the chap who does Shire Cruisers' boats is trying to retire and no longer taking on new work.) Just a hull survey needed.

Cheers

Mac

Mike Carter of Marine Surveys ltd is your man. http://www.marinesurveysltd.co.uk/ TELEPHONE; 07831 184495 FAX; 0870 1351423

Cheers

Ditchdabbler

Can I add a request for a recommendation of a surveyor who covers West Yorkshire? (I'm at Sowerby Bridge, and the chap who does Shire Cruisers' boats is trying to retire and no longer taking on new work.) Just a hull survey needed.

Cheers

Mac

Peter Hopley would probably cover West Yorkshire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to return to this post, but any more suggestions/good experiences (or otherwise) for a surveyor in the North West would be appreciated....

(And yes have already tried Mike Carter...but he is booked up...Guess the good one's will be!)

Please PM if you prefer,

thanks in advance,

Martin

Try Steve Hands

http://www.handsonmarine.com/contact.html

Tells it like it is.........good or bad.

Saved me a fortune last year when he surveyed a 'wreck' for me.

Mike

We used Steve too. Brilliant!! Superb written survey with lots of colour photographs and talked it all through with me. I reckon he went over every inch of our boat. Not sure of the extent of his area (we are in the Midlands). And he's a very very nice man too!! :lol:

Sorry to return to this post, but any more suggestions/good experiences (or otherwise) for a surveyor in the North West would be appreciated....

(And yes have already tried Mike Carter...but he is booked up...Guess the good one's will be!)

Please PM if you prefer,

thanks in advance,

Martin

Peter Hopley is usually regarded as a very thorough surveyor.

Christopher Berry did the survey on Surprise and he was really good - thorough, clear and fair - gave recommendations for BSS and for future maintenance of the boat. He's in North Bristol 01454 269696 or 07710 175871. He has a lovely dog too!

I also used Chris Berry and was very impressed with the quality of his service. He was very helpful and even had a stern word to the marina about them cleaning up after the work they had done. I could not recommend him higher.

Tim

i suppose as george orwell might have said "all surveyors are equal, but some are more equal than others"

or maybe not

cheers

nigel

ps i shall bookmark this thread as i shall be needing a good one soonish

cheers

nigel

edited to say sorry for the flippancy

Edited by capnthommo

:lol: The answer to the original question on this thread is a definite NO......I was badly let down by one and had to call on Paul Cooke to come to my aid . He did an excellent job and I can recommend him . I won't name the person who was so disorganised that he failed on 2 occasions to make an appearance.

Sorted now!

I used Trevor Whitling in Northants and was far from impressed.

(Mods, feel free to delete this post if it contravenes forum rules)

I used Trevor as well, when my boat was out a Braunston for blacking etc, he was absolutly brilliant. he took photos and wrote a hull survey, looked into the couple of queries about the stern gear. I can't reccommend him enough.

I bought my boat with out a survey, intending to have one when it was blacked.

Mary1