What was your greatest single lifestyle change?

Featured Posts

I have given up wearing high heels. I loved them, really loved them, but they're not really pratical any more so I have given them up and wear flats all the time now! Apart from a scabby pair I keep on the boat so the rare occasions work demands them, and a WONDERFUL pair that I keep safe and sound at Mum's, just in case I need them one day :lol:

Oh, and I really miss having a big freezer. Hope to rectify that at some point...

Don't miss the bath, the bookshelves, the central heating, the big fridge, the sofa, the off-street parking, the bright overhead lighting, the dishwasher, the big telly, the shorter journey home, the sheer space, because the benefits far outweigh the 'sacrifices' :lol:

I have given up wearing high heels. I loved them, really loved them, but they're not really pratical any more so I have given them up and wear flats all the time now! Apart from a scabby pair I keep on the boat so the rare occasions work demands them, and a WONDERFUL pair that I keep safe and sound at Mum's, just in case I need them one day :lol:

Oh, and I really miss having a big freezer. Hope to rectify that at some point...

Don't miss the bath, the bookshelves, the central heating, the big fridge, the sofa, the off-street parking, the bright overhead lighting, the dishwasher, the big telly, the shorter journey home, the sheer space, because the benefits far outweigh the 'sacrifices' :lol:

I don't miss the bath like I thought I would, either, it's a nice treat when I can have one though.

I've come to the conclusion that theres no point in wearing any shoes that you're not happy about getting trashed, which is why I seem to live in wellies or crocs or hiking boots, or anything plastic for £2 from the factory shop. I do have a nightmare if I have to get to a work meeting from the boat, especially if it's winter or raining as I think it's really hard to keep some smart clothes if you are a boater, everything I own is stained or has holes in.

Not a liveaboarder (yet) but its all in the plan.

...I seem to live in wellies or crocs or hiking boots, or anything plastic for £2 from the factory shop...everything I own is stained or has holes in.

Sounds like my wardrobe is already sorted - no adjustments required! :lol:

I wont miss decorating.

I will miss having a big freezer.

My huge herb and spice collection (100 plus post) narrowed down to about 5.

Now I pick them fresh off the roof or elsewhere.

My daily bath.

My dance practice (I now hire a hall)

I also have to wear a ridiculous ammount of woolly warm clothing. Several layers and hats in winter.

My wardrobe.

My gorgeous soft bed.

My fast electric kettle.

I also aquired lots of things. Mostly mud on my clothing. An itinerrant life style and the low opinion of some narrow minded others. A fantastic new job. And I live in a village where I could not afford to buy.

But mostly I aquired cabin fever and claustrophobia. So I'm moving out and selling up!

Guess what . I'm moving back into a house!

I also have to wear a ridiculous ammount of woolly warm clothing. Several layers and hats in winter.

My wardrobe.

My gorgeous soft bed.

My fast electric kettle.

Guess what . I'm moving back into a house!

very strange, I find the exact opposite in winter, its way too warm with the stove going to wear anything other than t-shirt and shorts.

We also have a lovely full length and width (of the boat) soft bed and a very fast electric kettle which shows a lovely blue light when its boiling.

I will admit that the wardrobe has suffered, but then again, whats the point in hoarding tons of clothes. Anything which I havent worn in the last 2 months gets cut up for Rag Rug material

Our biggest lifestyle change was not being subservient to the god of television any more. Now we read books & talk to each other (though we are going through books at rather an alarming rate of knots!)

I miss the freezer the most - washing machine and lots of room to hang wet clothes over radiators second.

Our gains are far greater than our losses

Edited for stupid speeling mistake

Edited by Ange

Missed the telly not at all - in fact it's absence is one of the biggest plusses...

I do miss my motorbike...itinerant lifestyle meant having to have a car to transport children (though I considered topboxes and foam packing for a while), so the bike had to go.

THE biggest plus was not having to "move house" when my partner got a job in another county...she worked the summer, I move Cassie over the Leeds Liverpool. Now that is a work life balance!

Ellen gave up her hairdryer and subsequently cut off her hair because it was easier, but she reckons I didn't give up anything at all, and I do seem to have a lot of stuff here ......

I did give up a partner but he didn't matter 'cos he wasn't very nice to me.

Ellen thinks she was more secure but isolated in a house, I just like being on a boat more regardless ....

I do have a nightmare if I have to get to a work meeting from the boat, especially if it's winter or raining as I think it's really hard to keep some smart clothes if you are a boater, everything I own is stained or has holes in.

God me too - we don't have an iron either so all my work clothes have to be stretchy :lol: Work are used to me turned up in my bike leathers though, so anything smarter than that is a bonus! I'm like that girl in the cold sore advert some days :lol:

God me too - we don't have an iron either so all my work clothes have to be stretchy :lol: Work are used to me turned up in my bike leathers though, so anything smarter than that is a bonus! I'm like that girl in the cold sore advert some days :lol:

Now there's an idea for a service boat.....a laundry boat...picking up, washing and ironing and delivering back again or maybe even hiring out posh frocks for special occasions.... idle fancy? or would something like that work do you reckon?

hmm...name of boat 'Idle Fancy' :lol:

bbiab

I was freelancing for Oli (home shopping fashion website), last year, I went into the West End to deliver some designs to their office and the receptionist thought I was a courier! :lol:

It's a constant nightmare trying to look vaguely tidy.

I was freelancing for Oli (home shopping fashion website), last year, I went into the West End to deliver some designs to their office and the receptionist thought I was a courier! :lol:

It's a constant nightmare trying to look vaguely tidy.

I know what you mean. I have "winter trousers" to wear to work.

They're brown, so the mud I acquire walking through the mucky field in the morning doesn't show!

I know what you mean. I have "winter trousers" to wear to work.

They're brown, so the mud I acquire walking through the mucky field in the morning doesn't show!

In the winter time, I need stilts to make it accross the marina and down the marsh to the tube station, in order to avoid the mud. Invaribly I have to wear wellies and take some clean shoes in a plastic bag.

Greatest single lifestyle change? Finally having my own place - no more flatmates.

Yup, have to agree. Having my own kitchen (galley?) was the best bit about living afloat for me. I hate sharing accomodation with anyone but close family or partner! But in terms of actual boat-related things, it was the location that I was able to afford to live in. From a dirty, nasty bit of North London to rural Cambridgeshire has been the best change.

The negative changes were, no longer being able to to spend hours online, and not being able to listen to music as much as I wanted to, cos I don't always have the inverter on!

Edited by Black Ibis

I miss flushing the loo and then forgetting about it! The biggest thing I gave up though was having plenty of money. I am now working 3 days a week which doesn't cover all my bills and for the first time in my life, I have a loan that I can't make repayments on. However I still believe it's the best move I ever made and it's worth being poor for! :lol:

Biggest lifestyle change....being able to wear a blue facepack outside....OK a bit of an insider joke, but really its abut losing inhibitions, taking a few more risks, and not give a monkeys what you look like at 5.30 in the morning.