Wooden Motor 'IAN'

riverwolf

Featured Posts

when did hardy sell for £8k surely theres something wrong in the world when a boat as beautiful as either hardy or ian sell for so little?...at least if its not me buying it.

It was sold just after I was offered it, in exchange for a bacon butty, about 3 years ago.

The under tarp conversion is now loads better than Ians and, apart from a front deck and one swim plank, is pretty much rebuilt. It'll soon have a very nice AS3 in the engine room, too :lol:

Anyone know what the condition of Don is? (Also for sale with Warwickshire Fly)

Rough but not beyond saving.

The hold has ply in front of all the shearing which won't be helping.

DSCF1644.jpg

DSCF1639.jpg

DSCF1638.jpg

DSCF1637.jpg

These are all the photos I could find, for some reason.

Rough but not beyond saving.

The hold has ply in front of all the shearing which won't be helping.

These are all the photos I could find, for some reason.

It's a bit worrying when a seller is selling a boat with pictures of an expensive engine. Suitable for a buyer planning a new shell and a bonfire?

Richard

It's a bit worrying when a seller is selling a boat with pictures of an expensive engine. Suitable for a buyer planning a new shell and a bonfire?

Richard

They're my photos but I can't find the ones I took of the outside of the boat.

I worked on a production line at Rootes once, down in a pit fixing steering boxes, drag links and shock absorbers to Commer Spacevans. We were issued hard hats, as if you stood upright you got battered on the head. But the hard hats were so tall, you ended up in a half crouch, and they still got knocked off. The solution was the woolie hat.

Surely the 'Spacevan' tag only came to the Commer PB range after the Dodge re-branding..... :lol:

Surely the 'Spacevan' tag only came to the Commer PB range after the Dodge re-branding..... :lol:

Yes, it was such an awful job I suffered it for a whole two weeks - sometime in '74 or '75, so it had just acquired the 'Spacevan' tag, but we all knew it as a Commer - most were yellow for you know who. Prior to that, I drove a PB very briefly on Enfield Borough Council with the sewer maintenance gang, but my regular chariot at that time was a Thames 10/12cwt - much more kudos (and wheelspin much to the disgust of my old mate Arthur, who's house had a roomful of cups and trophies for his racing pigeons. Good old boy was Arthur) on our regular Rat Catching tasks. (Moved in powerful circles back then).

Sorry 'Ian', drifted a bit.

Derek

Ford Thames van,I had one of them in the 70s.Wonderfull beast,think it had the same engine as the Ford Consul.I really liked the column change but thats gone right out of style now,pity.Mine was 15cwt and was maroon with pale cream top.Also had a pickup truck and a couple of Bedford CA vans.Happy days

Enjoy it Carl , just have fun . By the way whats the wierdie metal tulip sculpture in the background?

Part of a new early warning system to celebrate our advancement in communications

Load with straw and ignite with flint.

(Sorry)

Edited by Derek R.

Oh in case I catch and bite the heads off the carrier pigeons while out of my head on elderflower cordial and antibiotics.This combination soon to be made illegal by the government.

Wots this got todo with wooden boats? nothing and I dont care

Sometimes you just gotta wander off topic a bit

cheers all Madcat

I think one of the benefits of this forum (CWDF as a whole) is that threads are allowed to go off topic and meander around different subjects just the way a normal conversation would do, means you can find out about all sorts of interesting stuff from asking a question about something with barely any relationship to the final post.

I will put a 1960's picture of Ian and Chertsey on my Gallery.

Bringing this back on topic!

Thanks very much for posting a great picture Max - clearly Ian is looking shabby and waiting to be docked but I don't think this is the boat that you remember as badly hogged or the counter would be touching the water. It was after all only 12 years old in 1960 and was crewed continuously until 1968 by the Carters (IIRC) and then also the Whitlocks.

I wonder if they were given a change boat or were tied up on their butty (not sure when they changed Iona for Lucy.)?

If the pic is actually a little later in 1962 Ian could be waiting to be painted in the Blue Line livery.

Alan Faulkner lists Gort and Alec as being sold off in 1960 but there were probably others and some I know were broken up. I had a Frank Jones table (now in Phil Speight's collection) which was rescued by Aubrey Berriman from one such boat broken up.

Paul H

Bringing this back on topic!

Thanks very much for posting a great picture Max - clearly Ian is looking shabby and waiting to be docked but I don't think this is the boat that you remember as badly hogged or the counter would be touching the water. It was after all only 12 years old in 1960 and was crewed continuously until 1968 by the Carters (IIRC) and then also the Whitlocks.

I wonder if they were given a change boat or were tied up on their butty (not sure when they changed Iona for Lucy.)?

If the pic is actually a little later in 1962 Ian could be waiting to be painted in the Blue Line livery.

Alan Faulkner lists Gort and Alec as being sold off in 1960 but there were probably others and some I know were broken up. I had a Frank Jones table (now in Phil Speight's collection) which was rescued by Aubrey Berriman from one such boat broken up.

Paul H

It was definitely 1960. Cheers.Max.

So, assuming this boat was hogged (or any other) how would the condition be put right?

Is it just a case of gradually adding weight to the affected area.........or is there more to it.

How would one set about de-hogging (un-hogging, whatever) a boat?

I freely admit I know little of wooden narrow boats.

However, from my understanding of "hogged" I can't see any evidence of such in the picture Max has put in his gallery.

Obviously the boat is only featured from engine room back, and obviously it needs a repaint, but from the bit that does show, it looks staight enough to me.

Even just picturing the back end of what I'd call a badly hogged boat, it would be obvious from the angle at which the counter "hangs" in the water, I'd have thought. The boat pictured doesn't look unduly unhealthy to my untrained eye.