Working locks

mayalld

Featured Posts

I forgot to say that the other motive for not roping the boat front and back against the side is the scary stories I've read in a couple of blogs of the edge of the baseplate catching on the bolts for the safety chains and tipping the whole boat dramatically sideways. I reason that if the thing is drifting around somewhere diagonally, it cant possibly catch bolts front and back and do that.

The Moomin approach does require one person on board during locking (sorry Carl).

Sorry to destroy your equanimity with that, think of it as quid pro quo for my spending the next three weeks worrying about Sargasso Nene :lol:

MP.

It happenned to Kestrel, admittedly on the Ouse rather than the Nene.

The problem is, the "safety" chains stick out on eyebolts, and aren't recessed into the brickwork. I normally put fenders down (my car tyres work well) to keep the side away from the wall.

PB, myself and Amy also didn't use ropes when we came down the Nene last year. THe boats fitted in nicely, the National got a good workout holding both back against the flow, and everything was good.

It happenned to Kestrel, admittedly on the Ouse rather than the Nene.

The problem is, the "safety" chains stick out on eyebolts, and aren't recessed into the brickwork. I normally put fenders down (my car tyres work well) to keep the side away from the wall.

PB, myself and Amy also didn't use ropes when we came down the Nene last year. THe boats fitted in nicely, the National got a good workout holding both back against the flow, and everything was good.

But that was with two boats! This year they tried it with one boat and no ropes. And my favourite glass got broken. BUT!!! that was only because someone hadn't put it away properly.

But that was with two boats! This year they tried it with one boat and no ropes. And my favourite glass got broken. BUT!!! that was only because someone hadn't put it away properly.

Good point. But you do keep your boat much neater and tidier than mine- if I tried that, there'd be stuff everywhere! Not sure I'd want to try with the DUck and no ropes, especially with PB's speed on the hand-wheel guillotine gates.

• 3 weeks later...

This is all a bit over my head but I do remember when we had a NB holiday that we were instructed to enter the lock, keep the nose of the boat against the doors, engine on/ticking over. Is that right?

To be honest, I'll probably sh*t myself the first time I do a lock on my own :lol::lol:

This is all a bit over my head but I do remember when we had a NB holiday that we were instructed to enter the lock, keep the nose of the boat against the doors, engine on/ticking over. Is that right?

To be honest, I'll probably sh*t myself the first time I do a lock on my own :lol::lol:

Just take your time and dont rush. They are not that scary (well most of them)

You'll be going to commodes r us for your rear seats then!

That's what we tell our hirers to do! Works for me :lol:

But we don't call them "doors" though! :lol:

(But I kind of suspect you know that! :lol: )

Just been through those wide locks at the start of the T&M from Fradley - a bit of an eye-opener for heaviness and ferocity of fill - even the rush of water out of the locks when they're emptying can catch you by surprise if you're not paying attention when moored waiting to go in. I must admit I found it tricky to keep our 44 footer stable in these locks when it was on its own: you can't keep them up against the front with that flood coming in and they fill pretty rapidly even when taking it steady (and there were always eager beavers waiting to come the other way who wanted to speed everything up!). Tried a few techniques but letting the boat sit diagonally across the lock seemed the easiest, if rather amateur looking.

Any tips?

Just been through those wide locks at the start of the T&M from Fradley - a bit of an eye-opener for heaviness and ferocity of fill - even the rush of water out of the locks when they're emptying can catch you by surprise if you're not paying attention when moored waiting to go in. I must admit I found it tricky to keep our 44 footer stable in these locks when it was on its own: you can't keep them up against the front with that flood coming in and they fill pretty rapidly even when taking it steady (and there were always eager beavers waiting to come the other way who wanted to speed everything up!). Tried a few techniques but letting the boat sit diagonally across the lock seemed the easiest, if rather amateur looking.

Any tips?

Roping it up?

Roping it up?

Fine if you have plenty of crew: holding just on a centre line is nigh impossible (even if you've one long enough - a 12 ft deep lock means 20+ ft of centre line plus allowances for taking it to the bollard and back. Let's say 30ft total which is really too long for a 40ft boat). Try holding a nb in place with just the centre line against a fast filling lock, especially if the bollard isn't in the right place; I certainly can't.

Fine if you have plenty of crew: holding just on a centre line is nigh impossible (even if you've one long enough - a 12 ft deep lock means 20+ ft of centre line plus allowances for taking it to the bollard and back. Let's say 30ft total which is really too long for a 40ft boat). Try holding a nb in place with just the centre line against a fast filling lock, especially if the bollard isn't in the right place; I certainly can't.

Why is a 30 foot rope too long for a 40 foot boat?

Surely a rope at least as long as the boat, should be stowed for when it may be needed.

Totally agree. In a deep lock the lines are completly inaffective until the cabin draws somewhere near level with the lock bank, prior to that the lines are at the wrong angle to have any affect. Just in case of argument I'm talking NB not PP.

Why is a 30 foot rope too long for a 40 foot boat?

Surely a rope at least as long as the boat, should be stowed for when it may be needed.

I'm talking about a centre line - kept permanently attached to a mounting point on the roof at the centre (or, more accurately the pivot point) - and then run back along the roof to be at hand so that the steerer can loop it or throw it from the helm doesn't want to be so long that if you mis-throw or someone drops the catch it can tangle in the prop. Fore and aft lines are, yes, at least as long as the boat.

I'm talking about a centre line - kept permanently attached to a mounting point on the roof at the centre (or, more accurately the pivot point) - and then run back along the roof to be at hand so that the steerer can loop it or throw it from the helm doesn't want to be so long that if you mis-throw or someone drops the catch it can tangle in the prop. Fore and aft lines are, yes, at least as long as the boat.

sorry, my mistake.

Your post followed Phylis' "fore and aft" post so I assumed you were quoting that post (even though you quoted her previous post).

Just off for a lie down......

30ft is less than 10m. If your ropes are shorter than that i would worry.

For travelling around 10m is the minimum we would use.

Totally agree. In a deep lock the lines are completly inaffective until the cabin draws somewhere near level with the lock bank, prior to that the lines are at the wrong angle to have any affect. Just in case of argument I'm talking NB not PP.

Most deep locks (or certainly the ones we have used) have sliders in the walls. You dont need long ropes for those.

Most deep locks (or certainly the ones we have used) have sliders in the walls. You dont need long ropes for those.

It's very, very rare on canals or canalised rivers that we have navigated so far.

Apart from the Severn, I can only recall it at Kegworth New/Deep lock.

I'm not sure even fierce locks like Stenson have them, do they ?

May be different further North, I don't know, but not where we have ventured (yet).

Phylis, could you give me some more information about sliders in the wall as I haven't heard of them before. Even better if someone could post a picture showing this feature.

Thanks

Stewey

Phylis, could you give me some more information about sliders in the wall as I haven't heard of them before. Even better if someone could post a picture showing this feature.

Thanks

Stewey

Usually a taught steel cable held in a vertical recess in the lock wall. fixed top and bottom.

You loop a rope through, and hang on to both ends, thus holding the boat against the side, as the boat slides up or down.

Downside is that it's not really practical if you are single-handling. You could actually secure your line at the "other" end, of course, but you would be scooting backwards and forwards to do so,

Unless anyone says otherwise, whilst found on big rivers, not very common on canals.

This example on the Severn.

Severn_Lock-1.jpg