What's the best thing about living on a narrowboat?

Chagall

Featured Posts

In an effort to combat some negatives, what's the most pleasurable thing about living on a narrowboat, either in a poetic sense or practical.....and have you achieved what you thought it would be, if not then what would make it perfect?

The satisfaction of living comfortably without relying on the infrastructure of piped gas and electricity. Petty I know but it gave me a good feeling when I lived aboard.

The ability to easily move when your neighbours get on your t*ts.

The instant access to the countryside.

The ducks and geese waiting for their breakfast.

The list goes on and on for me.

Gibbo

Joking aside, living on water is pretty relaxing and there is a sense of cameraderie amongst boaters.

It always amazes me how its a pretty classless systems, with shiny boats and the not-so shiny boats getting along ( yes I know there are a few commodores of the fleet with the memsahib cruising around, scowling at everyone, but luckily, they are in the minority).

Living on the cut also allows you to be quite close to nature.

In all fairness, the things that would make it perfect for me is boats passing at a reasonable speed (many don't) and not having to worry about hireboats ramming into you when you are moored up in a straight and wide stretch of canal.

In an effort to combat some negatives, what's the most pleasurable thing about living on a narrowboat, either in a poetic sense or practical.....and have you achieved what you thought it would be, if not then what would make it perfect?
Edited by NB Willawaw

Having been down in the Smoke for a couple of days, and talking with friends over a couple (cough) of beers;

{credit: Bones} It's mine, all mine

{credit: Gibbo} The wildlife

The sense of challenge (if you want it now), or the ability to actually calm down and take life at the slow; it's down to you and no-one else

Realisation of the enormity of the creation, maintenance and restoration of the waterway systems over the last couple of centuries

The continuing search for the most perfect spot on the cut is eternal and is always (beautifully) doomed to fail. The journey, not the presumed arrival, is the sublime moment.

The satisfaction of living comfortably without relying on the infrastructure of piped gas and electricity. Petty I know but it gave me a good feeling when I lived aboard.

Gibbo

This is what it's all about, all the other stuff is just fundamentals. After all this has got to be priceless

Gibbo

Interspersed with jolly boaters asking daft electrical questions (including me!)

Edited by nb Innisfree

Ok For me

1. The boat is ours paid for compeltely so we don't have to worry about repossession

2. No Gas and Electric bills is brilliant

3. The people we have made some great and faitfhul friends on the cut

4. The Boat Fesitvals - Little Venice then Ricky

5. The freedom of being able to go on a boat ride whenever we like

6. My kids experience nature happening around them first hand

7. My kids don't spend the whole day stuck in front of a video game or TV

8. My cat likes it

Lovely replies already, nearly enough for a poem.... apart from two I didn't understand but I guess the posters do!

I love how on this group one can be called an idiot on one subject and the wisest on the next......

so.....any more to add, how about that really unusual or unique best thing about your actual boat?

Lovely replies already, nearly enough for a poem.... apart from two I didn't understand but I guess the posters do!

I love how on this group one can be called an idiot on one subject and the wisest on the next......

so.....any more to add, how about that really unusual or unique best thing about your actual boat?

a poem?

a poem?

You know, lines of words that go te-tum-te-tum-te-tum-te-tum as you read them, often have words that rhyme at the ends of the lines, feature men from Nantucket, young ladies from Tottenham and a lady with shallots.

Richard

and is there honey still for tea?