places to eat at Brauston

purplehaze

Featured Posts

Hi

I know that this has been posted before but can anyone let me know if there is anywhere recommended to eat at Braunston? We are due to go on a short break in July and plan to stop at Braunston for the night we haven't been there for a couple of years and were shocked then by how many shops had closed. Its not a major problem as we can eat on board but as its our first night we would like to spoil ourselves!!

Julie

I think the The Old Plough is about the best (if you don't fancy one of the best Chippies, outside of Yorkshire). The Wheatsheaf used to have a Chinese takeaway, operating from its kitchens (you can eat in, too) but It's been a while so I don't know if it's still the case.

I haven't been in the Admiral Nelson, since it changed hands and (imho) the Mill House is the lowest form of pub (unless you like your food desiccated under heat lamps).

Edited by carlt

Last October the chinese in the Wheatsheaf was still operating. Not very good though in my opinion. The pub itself was okay, a locals pub, if you get what I mean. Good beer, good prices.

Go for the chippie when open and have a couple of pints beforehand. Liverpool supporter landlord. Never mind eh!

Not been in the Nelson, always closed when I've tried. Mind you this was last October also. We were in drydock and I managed to 'escape' with the dog (for a walk). Dissapointed when I found I couldn't get into the Nelson. Puffed and panted my way up to the village.

Martyn

Which way are you coming from? If by chance it’s down the Oxford you could stop at Navigation Bridge (No. 85) and either walk into Willoughby, about 1/5 mile, or ring the Rose Inn (01788 891114) as they will pick you up. They have just opened after a complete rebuild following the fire a few years ago. They do cask ales and good pub grub. Open Mon - Thurs 12 till 2 & 5 till 11. Fri, Sat & Sun open all day.

The new landlord of the Rose has also just taken over the Nelson in the last month or so.

Last October the chinese in the Wheatsheaf was still operating. Not very good though in my opinion. The pub itself was okay, a locals pub, if you get what I mean. Good beer, good prices.

Go for the chippie when open and have a couple of pints beforehand. Liverpool supporter landlord. Never mind eh!

Not been in the Nelson, always closed when I've tried. Mind you this was last October also. We were in drydock and I managed to 'escape' with the dog (for a walk). Dissapointed when I found I couldn't get into the Nelson. Puffed and panted my way up to the village.

Martyn

For a difference of opinion we had one of the best Chinese meals ever in the Wheatsheaf. The surroundings added to the experience.

Sue

For a difference of opinion we had one of the best Chinese meals ever in the Wheatsheaf. The surroundings added to the experience.

Sue

I always found the food nice, in contrast to the muck 90% of Chinese takeaways produce.

I'm with Carl all the way - The Plough is a favourite of ours - always had a good meal, but would advise you to book in advance to ensure a table. The Mill House is a definite no no. Been once and vowed never to set foot in it again. Food terrible and uninspiring.

The Mill House is a definite no no. Been once and vowed never to set foot in it again. Food terrible and uninspiring.

They had "food" ?

Better than our last attempt to go in there, then !

They had sold out of everything edible, and just about all drinks too.

(Proves they are popular with someone, it seems).

I'm with Carl all the way - The Plough is a favourite of ours - always had a good meal, but would advise you to book in advance to ensure a table. The Mill House is a definite no no. Been once and vowed never to set foot in it again. Food terrible and uninspiring.

The trouble with the Plough is the menu has been the same since the year dot and is very boring.

Sue

Sue

I agree with Sue on this one, We went there last time we were in Braunston, but took it back to the boat to eat. Just time for a pint while they cooked it.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been in the Nelson recently?

I was wondering what is was like since re-opening which I presume it has done?

Tried it a week after it re-opened and the food was just mediocre imho. However the service and the beer was very good so we tried it again around a month ago and I'm afraid to say that the food hadn't improved much. We found the menu quite limited. There were four of us and we each tried a different main course and we all agreed that we wouldn't eat there again. We would call in there for a drink though as the staff are freindly and welcoming and the beer appeared well kept.

Agree - The Mill was THE WORST pub I have ever been to for food - well, we never actually got the food - gave up waiting after an hour and a half!!! Not even an apology!! Ok if you just want a pint over looking the water, that is quite pretty, we looked at it for a long time.

Agree - The Mill was THE WORST pub I have ever been to for food - well, we never actually got the food - gave up waiting after an hour and a half!!! Not even an apology!! Ok if you just want a pint over looking the water, that is quite pretty, we looked at it for a long time.

I went past there on Saturday and the only impression that it left me with was the piped music on very loud. This would not be very pleasant if you were on the moorings over the other side of the canal.

The last time I went in there we also nearly left before the food arrived also and virtually all of the beer was off. Not great memories, hence why I was asking about the Nelson.

Has anyone been in the Nelson recently?

I was wondering what is was like since re-opening which I presume it has done?

Be warned, if you go to the Nelson, they don’t take credit cards. Admittedly there is a notice on the bar to this effect, but not visible on the side where you enter the pub from the canal. Fortunately our party of four managed to scrape enough cash together. Before we left I asked to see the new landlord, pointing out that his must be the only pub anywhere not to take cards. All his smarm and bonhomie evaporated - not a word of apology. He even had the gall to say that I was complaining because I was covering my embarrassment at not having the means to pay, which was patent nonsense because I’d already settled the bill in cash.

Service also very slow and Monday is the chef's night off!

The Plough is by far the best.

Be warned, if you go to the Nelson, they don’t take credit cards. Admittedly there is a notice on the bar to this effect, but not visible on the side where you enter the pub from the canal. Fortunately our party of four managed to scrape enough cash together. Before we left I asked to see the new landlord, pointing out that his must be the only pub anywhere not to take cards. All his smarm and bonhomie evaporated - not a word of apology. He even had the gall to say that I was complaining because I was covering my embarrassment at not having the means to pay, which was patent nonsense because I’d already settled the bill in cash.

Thanks for the warning I might give the Plough a look then.

Well we tried the Mill House more down to the fact that there was no where else to moor apart from outside the pub. I have never seen Braunston so busy, unless at a special event.

Food arrived quickly and it wasn't too bad, at least it was hot, not the best I have had but honestly not the worst, but will go for the Plough next time!!

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had read this BEFORE we tried the Nelson.

For the first time ever, my wife and I didn't eat our meal and asked for our money back, it was so awful. The manager was very abrupt, told us we were the only ones who had complained since he had been there (June!) and took 15 minutes to be persuaded that we should have our money back!!! He said I should have expected my nut roast to come out of a packet and my wife's curry shouldn't be great because his wasn't a curry house . . .

I don't think he will last long - at least I hope he doesn't as this COULD be a really good Pub with a lovely setting and good moorings nearby.

Which way are you coming from? If by chance it’s down the Oxford you could stop at Navigation Bridge (No. 85) and either walk into Willoughby, about 1/5 mile, or ring the Rose Inn (01788 891114) as they will pick you up. They have just opened after a complete rebuild following the fire a few years ago. They do cask ales and good pub grub. Open Mon - Thurs 12 till 2 & 5 till 11. Fri, Sat & Sun open all day.

The new landlord of the Rose has also just taken over the Nelson in the last month or so.

The Nelson did not do food after 7pm on a sunday night. I was there early july 09

Mary 1

I wish I had read this BEFORE we tried the Nelson.

For the first time ever, my wife and I didn't eat our meal and asked for our money back, it was so awful. The manager was very abrupt, told us we were the only ones who had complained since he had been there (June!) and took 15 minutes to be persuaded that we should have our money back!!! He said I should have expected my nut roast to come out of a packet and my wife's curry shouldn't be great because his wasn't a curry house . . .

I don't think he will last long - at least I hope he doesn't as this COULD be a really good Pub with a lovely setting and good moorings nearby.

What a shame - I had hoped it might recover!

With this, and Koukouvagia's warnings, I think we will be giving it a miss.

Before we left I asked to see the new landlord, pointing out that his must be the only pub anywhere not to take cards.

Actually, errm, no!

The Grand Junction Arms at Bulbourne, (the very place at which you organised a banter! :lol: ), will not take cards.

Initially they said this was due to needing a new phone line they couldn't get, but on our last visit the lady at the bar told us they now never intended to take cards. (Surprising, as it has a considerable lunchtime buisiness trade....)

I'm not convinced any notice is displayed there, but I could be wrong.

Food still very good though, so I'll forgive them!

What a shame - I had hoped it might recover!

With this, and Koukouvagia's warnings, I think we will be giving it a miss.

Actually, errm, no!

The Grand Junction Arms at Bulbourne, (the very place at which you organised a banter! :lol: ), will not take cards.

Initially they said this was due to needing a new phone line they couldn't get, but on our last visit the lady at the bar told us they now never intended to take cards. (Surprising, as it has a considerable lunchtime buisiness trade....)

I'm not convinced any notice is displayed there, but I could be wrong.

Food still very good though, so I'll forgive them!

True Alan, but at Bulbourne there is a clear notice at the bar - something that was missing at the Nelson.