Warning to other dog owners!!!! (Erdington canal)

Featured Posts

Anyone who believes that they can take the "wild" out of a dog by dominating it and training it demonstrates they do not have a full understanding of dogs.

Any breed of dog will revert to its natural instincts given the right circumstances ,its the nature of the beast.

aren't all pet owners just control freaks, along with gardeners and women?
No, just like not all trolls are sad w****rs with unkempt gardens .

Dogs need to be trained and controlled so they can live a full and happy life. This requires dedication and commitment and is very rewarding unlike your dedicating which probably lasts about 3mins and just makes a mess!

Dogs need to be trained and controlled so they can live a full and happy life. This requires dedication and commitment and is very rewarding unlike your dedicating which probably lasts about 3mins and just makes a mess!

people dont tread in my 3 minute mess.

and i keep my animal on a leash. a muzzle would be a problem though, mesy

In my case yes, He can be approached by people if its the right way. But his seems to wana chase people on bikes that fly passed. And he cant stand people that stand infront of him. Apart from that hes fine along the canal.

Do you really think that's ok? I mean, a citizen is liable to attack from your sh1t machine if they offend him by using a bicycle or standing in the wrong place? In that case the damned thing is a public menace, do your civic duty and have it destroyed before someone gets hurt.

Do you really think that's ok? I mean, a citizen is liable to attack from your sh1t machine if they offend him by using a bicycle or standing in the wrong place? In that case the damned thing is a public menace, do your civic duty and have it destroyed before someone gets hurt.

Or walk him in a more suitable location on a leash. (might be less drastic)

Failing that train him a little better. Let him know that his behaviour is not acceptable.

Failing that train him a little better. Let him know that his behaviour is not acceptable.

Because it isn't, no way, however you argue it. Deal with it.

If ever the animal should attack someone and you find yourself in court, your posts here would be sufficient evidence to convict.

I think there are several issues here.

I'm not surprised that some dogs want to chase bikes. Some, by the nature of their breed feel the desire/need to chase and so when a bike goes past nature gets the better of nurture. We are lucky here since (again by the nature of a terrier) our dog is more interested in small furry things than fast moving metal things.

Dogs also react to the (to coin a phrase from the Dog Whisperer) energy of those around it. If someone see a big dog, straining at the leash, wearing a muzzle then they will tend to be nervous and (I suspect) there is a certain nervousness from the owner if he feels the need for a muzzle. Dogs will react to this nervousness by being defensive, defending their pack and will be aggressive.

However, I do feel that due to the constraints of communicating via a forum/email/etc we should not be too hasty jumping to conclusions and deciding that a particular dog should be tied up/destroyed/etc. Maybe it's the inadequacies of the owner or their inability to accurately depict the true nature of their dog. I can't comment either way since I have not seen enough evidence with which to draw a conclusion.

I'm not surprised that some dogs want to chase bikes. Some, by the nature of their breed feel the desire/need to chase and so when a bike goes past nature gets the better of nurture. We are lucky here since (again by the nature of a terrier) our dog is more interested in small furry things than fast moving metal things.

I was chased by a west highland terrier this morning on my cycle ride to work - the stupid dog was yapping and trying to nip at my heels - it was lucky it didn't get a mouth full of boot.

I was chased by a west highland terrier this morning on my cycle ride to work - the stupid dog was yapping and trying to nip at my heels - it was lucky it didn't get a mouth full of boot.

My god! Ours is also a Westie and he's far too lazy to chase a bike! He's far more likely to wander across the path and stand stubbornly in the path of the bike, but chasing...no way!

Anyone who believes that they can take the "wild" out of a dog by dominating it and training it demonstrates they do not have a full understanding of dogs.
That is true,if you try to dominate a dog, you really dont know what you doing.

The best way is to be the pack leader and expose your dog to lots of situations, train by reward and have a bonding.

ETA... The dogs for the blind dont seem to have to much "wild" in them!

I agree :lol: Edited by O'Mali

Dogs are happier being a follower. Calm submissive.

Most owners by being all lovey dovey and not providing boundaries such as not on the bed, not jumping up, etc etc force an unsuitable dog to take the dominant pack leader role.

So the little yappy dog that is completely unstable goes up to the perfectly well behaved large dog that then has to try and put that dog in it's place.

Yappy dog owner takes umbrage and says large dog is dangerous and has to be put down when all the time it is her dog (actually the owner) that is at fault.

Best way to control a dog is not by grabbing its collar but by controlling his mind.

I love it when I see man/woman walking their dog anywhere - in the country in town - without a lead and that dog stays by their side and is constantly aware of what the owner is doing and responds accordingly. Poetry in motion.

Tail level - good

Tail up - bad

Most owners by being all lovey dovey and not providing boundaries such as not on the bed, not jumping up, etc etc force an unsuitable dog to take the dominant pack leader role.

So the little yappy dog that is completely unstable goes up to the perfectly well behaved large dog that then has to try and put that dog in it's place.

Yappy dog owner takes umbrage and says large dog is dangerous and has to be put down when all the time it is her dog (actually the owner) that is at fault.

Best way to control a dog is not by grabbing its collar but by controlling his mind.

I love it when I see man/woman walking their dog anywhere - in the country in town - without a lead and that dog stays by their side and is constantly aware of what the owner is doing and responds accordingly. Poetry in motion.

Tail level - good

Tail up - bad

keen gardener?

I was chased by a west highland terrier this morning on my cycle ride to work

Yes, why is this? Why do dogs chase bikes? You can't seriously tell me this is reverting to type and that 10,000 years ago, wolf-like dogs or dog-like wolves chased homo sapiens sapiens around on primitive bicycles.

So what's all this about? I was told by a safari guide in South Africa that the wild animals cannot "see" people in vehicles or on bikes at all, they just "see" this big rectangular box-like object or a thin steel object. No idea why.

And actually woodenit has a point. Surely most gardeners are control freaks, shaping nature into an artificial landscape.

Tail level - good

Tail up - bad

That's a good post, fits the " empty nest syndrome" small dog as surrogate child scenario.

This is precisely why my dog is always on a lead, in restricted spaces.

When another dog comes and bothers him he is unable to "put it in its place" because I am in control and the dog that is being a pain with feel the end of my boot.

When another dog comes and bothers him he is unable to "put it in its place" because I am in control and the dog that is being a pain with feel the end of my boot.

I hope I read that correctly in that you kick dogs if they are being a pain, not simply approaching you and your dog?

Yes, why is this? Why do dogs chase bikes? You can't seriously tell me this is reverting to type and that 10,000 years ago, wolf-like dogs or dog-like wolves chased homo sapiens sapiens around on primitive bicycles.

To hell with "why", it simply must not happen. If human and canine interests come into conflict, the human MUST take precedence. If it is not possible to walk a particular dog in a particular place without it disturbing, harassing or intimidating people, the dog must go. The notion that people should make allowances by not standing in a certain place perhaps (without even knowing there are places they shouldn't stand) makes a mockery of being the planet's dominant species. The answer to all the problems people have with dogs is for the dog owners to understand that there is not one dog in the world so important as to rival the importance of the most insignificant person. Power to the people.