Warning to other dog owners!!!! (Erdington canal)

Featured Posts

There is a guy who walks every so often along the canal in erdington, If you know erdington you will know the part between Buffet island on the tyburn road and the point on kingsbury road behind the KFC, The guy is walking a german shepard who he cannot control which has attacked my dog.!!! He also fishes on the canal near the showcase cinema where his dog is off the lead.

My dog was attacked as we walked home from a long walk were he had put his dog on his lead but lost control because he was so drunk!! I also think he is a local tramp who sleeps along this route!! My dog was also muzzled and could not fight back.

My dog is now recovering from his attack:

DSCF2583.jpg

I hope i have not put anyone off from walking their dogs, cycling or anything!! :lol: But just be on guard for this man and his german shepard.

Edited by UptangLee

There is a guy who walks every so often along the canal in erdington, If you know erdington you will know the part between Buffet island on the tyburn road and the point on kingsbury road behind the KFC, The guy is walking a german shepard who he cannot control which has attacked my dog.!!! He also fishes on the canal near the showcase cinema where his dog is off the lead.

My dog was attacked as we walked home from a long walk were he had put his dog on his lead but lost control because he was so drunk!! I also think he is a local tramp who sleeps along this route!! My dog was also muzzled and could not fight back.

DSCF2583.jpg

I hope i have not put anyone off from walking their dogs, cycling or anything!! :lol: But just be on guard for this man and his german shepard.

I'd inform the RSPCA if I were you, even the police, dangerous dogs have to be controlled, even if it means they get put down, and as it has attacked, there's a pretty strong case against the dog, it may be the guy's only companion, but if he cannot control it, it needs to be sorted out... :lol:

Yer i contacted the police last night who are coming out this morning for more details etc..

His also broken Section 3 Dangerous dogs act 1991: Not being in control of a dangerous dog which has caused fear or even harm to another animal. Thats what i got when i check the dog laws.

I'd inform the RSPCA if I were you, even the police, dangerous dogs have to be controlled, even if it means they get put down, and as it has attacked, there's a pretty strong case against the dog, it may be the guy's only companion, but if he cannot control it, it needs to be sorted out... :lol:

Sorry but dogs fight, especially if they both have a full set of balls.

If every dog, which had had a spat, on the tow path, was put down, there'd be a lot less poo to moan about.

Sorry but dogs fight, especially if they both have a full set of balls.

If every dog, which had had a spat, on the tow path, was put down, there'd be a lot less poo to moan about.

I dont know where your going with that but its the fact this person is in control of a dangerous dog. As you seen my dog is a rottweiler and has baggy skin so he was lucky to get out alive with the attack. What if it was a child or even a smaller dog could of been worse.

Dont get me wrong but i think that post was uncalled for, it basically said to me "who cares if the dog attack's another it happens"

Im sorry if ive misread you :lol:

Im sorry if ive misread you :lol:

Yes you have misread me.

I said two male dogs having a territorial fight is not unusual and it does not mean either will attack a child.

Dogs fight and complaining to the police that your rottweiller was beaten up will not, hopefully, raise anything more than a wry smile.

Edited by carlt

DSCF2583.jpg

Your post entitled "some piccys" 12-27 on 13-6-2009 includes 2 photos of your rotweiler on the canal path not on a lead or muzzled.

Your post entitled "some piccys" 12-27 on 13-6-2009 includes 2 photos of your rotweiler on the canal path not on a lead or muzzled.

I wanted to get some good snaps of my dog, But when another dog is in sight i put his lead back on, and its very rare his out with his muzzle off. :lol:

I wanted to get some good snaps of my dog, But when another dog is in sight i put his lead back on, and its very rare his out with his muzzle off. :lol:

I was hoping that my be the case and I wish all big dog owners would do that.

I do a lot of running and having been attacked a couple of times, big dogs off the lead get me worried.

I've been to A&E for a clean up and tetanus shot afer a pitched battle with a GSD and I've had several other near misses and incidents, one recently with a mastiff that was "only playing".

The owner knowing (or thinking) their dog won't attack is of no help whatsover to any person having to approach or pass that dog.

Yes you have misread me.

I said two male dogs having a territorial fight is not unusual and it does not mean either will attack a child.

Dogs fight and complaining to the police that your rottweiller was beaten up will not, hopefully, raise anything more than a wry smile.

Yes, two male dogs with their nuts will fight, but if a dog like such is not on a lead or the owner is unable to control said dog, then they are breaking the law and are accountable for any injuries their dog inflicts, human, canine or otherwise, that is why the dangerous dogs act exists, and the dog must be controlled, which may be rehoming after nut lopping and training or being destroyed...

It may not suit you, but the law's the law... :lol:

All dogs should be on a lead, on the tow path but, when two big dogs get together and decide they want a scrap, it's pretty difficult to separate them.

Hopefully this guy will keep a tighter rein, in future but there doesn't seem much harm done and, to involve the police seems to be a complete over reaction.

Yes, two male dogs with their nuts will fight, but if a dog like such is not on a lead or the owner is unable to control said dog, then they are breaking the law and are accountable for any injuries their dog inflicts, human, canine or otherwise, that is why the dangerous dogs act exists, and the dog must be controlled, which may be rehoming after nut lopping and training or being destroyed...

It may not suit you, but the law's the law... :lol:

My dog was attacked as we walked home from a long walk were he had put his dog on his lead but lost control

He was on a lead (according to the op) and a momentary lapse of control, because two big dogs want to get at it, happens.

Apart from a soggy scruff there seems to be no injury.

Edited by carlt

I was hoping that my be the case and I wish all big dog owners would do that.

I do a lot of running and having been attacked a couple of times, big dogs off the lead get me worried.

I've been to A&E for a clean up and tetanus shot afer a pitched battle with a GSD and I've had several other near misses and incidents, one recently with a mastiff that was "only playing".

The owner knowing (or thinking) their dog won't attack is of no help whatsover to any person having to approach or pass that dog.

This is one thing i hate is people don't do the right thing to prevent there dogs attacking others, I am one of a small % who muzzles etc.. there dogs so cases like this dont air. But it is known german shepards are very territorial dogs.

All dogs should be on a lead, on the tow path but, when two big dogs get together and decide they want a scrap, it's pretty difficult to separate them.

Hopefully this guy will keep a tighter rein, in future but there doesn't seem much harm done and, to involve the police seems to be a complete over reaction.

He was on a lead (according to the op) and a momentary lapse of control, because two big dogs want to get at it, happens.

Apart from a soggy scruff there seems to be no injury.

My dog is off a lead when no one is about, and when someone or something approachs i put his lead back on and grab his collar for the best control you can get.

My dog is off a lead when no one is about, and when someone or something approachs i put his lead back on and grab his collar for the best control you can get.

Good for you but, in my opinion, your dog should be on a lead, at all times, on the tow path.

Rottweillers are known for their territorial instincts, too and I bet he can out run you, if he fancies a ruck.

These things happen and the only way to minimise it is to have a dog on the lead at all times, in places frequented by other dogs.

The bloke lost control of his dog, briefly, depite it being on a lead. It happens, get over it.

He was on a lead (according to the op) and a momentary lapse of control

Lapse of control caused by drunkenness, which means the dog owner was unable to control the dog through his own doing, which means he is in the wrong, there's no excuse... :lol:

Also, training helps immensely when it comes to interacting with other dogs, usually this is achieved by holding the lead close to the dog, and if it tried to go for the other dog(s), you give it a sharp tug on the lead and promptly follow it with a sharp "NO!", and gradually the dog learns so long as this is done regularly... :lol:

As for attacks from other dogs, the only way I know of is a swift kick (not hard enough to injure the dog though) where it hurts... :lol:

Lapse of control caused by drunkenness, which means the dog owner was unable to control the dog through his own doing, which means he is in the wrong, there's no excuse... :lol:

Also, training helps immensely when it comes to interacting with other dogs, usually this is achieved by holding the lead close to the dog, and if it tried to go for the other dog(s), you give it a sharp tug on the lead and promptly follow it with a sharp "NO!", and gradually the dog learns so long as this is done regularly... :lol:

As for attacks from other dogs, the only way I know of is a swift kick (not hard enough to injure the dog though) where it hurts... :lol:

Personally I found the description of the other dog owner judgemental and irrelevant.

I'm well aware of how to control a dog, I've had them all my life. I'm also acutely aware of what can happen when dogs fight.

Here we have a case of two big dogs who were on leads and wanted to occupy the same space.

One of the owners was caught unawares and a fight ensued.

These things happen.

he had put his dog on his lead but lost control because he was so drunk!! I also think he is a local tramp who sleeps along this route!!

An offensive description.

Edited by carlt

a dog shall be regarded as dangerously out of control on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person, whether or not it actually does so

that is not limited to biting, it could also mean knocking someone over, or someone running into traffic to avoid it etc etc etc

Why does a dog have to be on a lead if that dog is well behaved?

Martyn

Because a dog is an animal and unpredictable.

My dog walks to heel and never wanders from my side, loves kids and is oblivious to livestock and cats despite being a sight hound, trained to work.

Despite all of this he is on a lead whenever we are on the tow path or other public place.

The number of dog owners that say "Mydog has never behaved like that before" betrays thier unpredictability.

No problem if we have a universally acceptable definition of "well behaved".

Are we talking about the "he's only being friendly" type of "well behaved", or the "if you stand still he'll stop doing it" type of "well behaved" ? :lol:

His also broken Section 3 Dangerous dogs act 1991: Not being in control of a dangerous dog which has caused fear or even harm to another animal. Thats what i got when i check the dog laws.

Then you didn't actually check them very well, because there's no mention of other animals in Section 3 or any other part of the DDA.

Because the description was making negative assumptions about someone.

Would have thought that some of those negative assumptions could well have been borne out of observation. Spotting if someone is drunk is frequently possible even from a distance. Spotting if someone is resident on the towpath is often also observable. OP implies strongly that he walks the area regularly. To be fair to him, he did originally post just to warn others to be careful - a fair enough comment.

Of course, calling him specifically a "tramp" is rather derogatory in its own right.

I take issue with it being referred to as the Erdington Canal, however, and this may even force a detailed response from Martin Clark.

It always saddens me when the response to a statement that dogs sometimes fight is that all dogs should be kept on the lead all of the time. It seems a rather sweeping statement and sometimes somewhat unfair to the dog. Our dog is a terrier and, as is the way with terriers, enjoys rooting around in the undergrowth beside the path/towpath/whatever. To permanently keep him on a lead would deny this natural behaviour unless I go crawling through the brambles with him. Whenever we walk on canals he is off lead when we are alone and either on-lead or very closely chaperoned whenever we see other people/dogs/cyclists etc.

Maybe if we were to enforce the dogs must never be off lead sentiment we should introduce a few more. Cars sometimes cause accidents so therefore all cars should have their wheels removed, alcohol has sometimes fueled fights amoungst young men so therefore it should not be sold to males?