Cleaning the fire door-glass

Patterdale

Featured Posts

SWMBO swears by slightly damp newpaper and, having tried it, I agree with her.

I do try to leave the door open for a while before applying the damp paper in the hope that the change in temperature won't be great enough to crack the glass.

Dip a damp rag in the ash can, and then gently rub the glass. It works as an 'abrasive' and rubs all the crap off.

Agreed on the vinegar tip. Works for us too.

Dip a damp rag in the ash can, and then gently rub the glass. It works as an 'abrasive' and rubs all the crap off.

This is my favourite as you never run out of the ash and works every time. I am also very glad someone told me this before I started using the very expensive cleaners you can get from Morso etc.

You may not be able to get "Smart Burn" over there but if you check out the website (www.smartburn.com.au) it may help anyone with a wood heater with or without a glass door. This amazing product cleans chimneys, heater glass windows and reduces emissions.

The aluminium pan scourer ball - hard enough to remove the tar staining, soft enough not to damage the glass.

They are good for decoking pistons and cylinder heads too.

Richard

The real secret is to wipe it with a damp cloth frequently - that way it never gets too bad.

When it does get seriously blackened, I use a dab of 'Calfire' stove glass cleaner.

t3f2e7d155eb78.jpg

This product is also effective as a cleaner for removing tar and creosote from paintwork but be aware that it contains Sodium Hydroxide and may damage or remove varnish or fresh paintwork if not immediately rinsed off.