Crick 2009

Featured Posts

But the REAL prize has to go to the hog roast, who were charging no less than SIX POUNDS for a pork bap. Glad to say they didn't seem to be selling many. Maybe their rent means that they have to charge inflated prices, but we can get a full carvery meal for two for just a pound more.

Agree entirely! The prices were a rip-off. I paid £1.50 for a styrofoam cup of poor coffee the size that you'd get from a slot machine for 20p and £4.50 for an alleged 'gourmet' burger that certainly wasn't.

:lol: But the REAL prize has to go to the hog roast, who were charging no less than SIX POUNDS for a pork bap. Glad to say they didn't seem to be selling many. Maybe their rent means that they have to charge inflated prices, but we can get a full carvery meal for two for just a pound more.

Let me guess ... prices up in chalk or erasable pen so that they can change the price during the day? God, that's a practice that should be banned. A few years back my girlfriend (at the time) and I went to a steam fair. Price of a burger at the start of the day was £1.50 - by the lunch it was £3.00 (but cheese was free!) - and then back to £1.50 by closing. Grr!!

Let me guess ... prices up in chalk or erasable pen so that they can change the price during the day? God, that's a practice that should be banned. A few years back my girlfriend (at the time) and I went to a steam fair. Price of a burger at the start of the day was £1.50 - by the lunch it was £3.00 (but cheese was free!) - and then back to £1.50 by closing. Grr!!

To be fair, the prices were permanent and visible on big boards but it was a hot day, a captive audience and you don't necessarily want to lug a picnic lunch round with you as you hope from boat to boat. Besides, the smell of bacon sarnies, hog roasts and burgers is pretty irresistible.

To be fair, the prices were permanent and visible on big boards but it was a hot day, a captive audience and you don't necessarily want to lug a picnic lunch round with you as you hope from boat to boat. Besides, the smell of bacon sarnies, hog roasts and burgers is pretty irresistible.

When we go out for the day, we take a picnic which we leave in the car (along with some fold away chairs) and just go back to it at lunchtime to eat. I also freeze lots of 500ml bottles of water the night before, taking them out just before we set off - take a few in your rucksack for the morning and put some in the cool box keeping your picnic cool, they can then be taken with you to drink for the afternoon - then you've got a supply of cold water throughout the day. Saves a fortune and you know what you're eating!

:lol:

If you really want a burger - take a disposable BBQ, a couple of bricks to put it on and cook your own!

:lol:

Much more satisfying and a lot cheaper than the one's from the greasy spoon trailer!

Went to Wembly recently with my grown up son. Got there early to miss the rush. Thought about something to eat, didn't fancy the "mobile" burgers so waited to let into the ground.

I bought the beer while sonnyboy bought the pies.

Met up and discussed the cost.

Two pints of John Smiths- £6.80

Two Chicken Pies £9.00

There was thousands of people eating pies and drinking beer as you can imagine, fair old mark up I reckon.

My team lost as well.

Martyn

I noticed at Ricky that all the food was commercial outfits and not only expensive but nothing very attractive.

The Kent and East Sussex Canals Restoration Group put on such a good show with their veggie curries at the National - why don't they go/why aren't they invited to other events? Fantastic food, reasonable prices and all for a good cause.

Looking forward to a Braunston beanburger though. Or two.

edited to add: with cheese

Edited by WarriorWoman

Went on Sat & Sun. Really enjoyed it, but would have liked to have seen a bit of vintage stuff there. Credit to the organisers for having the best kept loos we've ever seen.

Our only gripes would have to be that many of the exhibitors seemed far more interested in holding their own staff gatherings/reading a book/texting on their 'phones than in serving customers.

:lol: But the REAL prize has to go to the hog roast, who were charging no less than SIX POUNDS for a pork bap. Glad to say they didn't seem to be selling many. Maybe their rent means that they have to charge inflated prices, but we can get a full carvery meal for two for just a pound more.

Anyway - gripe over. On the whole, we enjoyed the show and will certainly be back next year!

First time for me and thoroughly enjoyed. Interested to see the mixed attitude of the boatbuilders - again perhaps because I didn't look like the target market they are reluctant to let you through. Loved the Steve Hudson, somewhat concerned at the slight wibble wobble of the steelwork on the Tyler shells.

Food was a mixed bag. The gourmet burgers certainly were not but the chicken rolls in the real tent were excellent - as was the beer which imho was not overpriced.

Kids loved the street acts and I made some useful 'trade' contacts and put names to faces which was great.

Also nice to meet Dominic from the forum.

I noticed at Ricky that all the food was commercial outfits and not only expensive but nothing very attractive.

The Kent and East Sussex Canals Restoration Group put on such a good show with their veggie curries at the National - why don't they go/why aren't they invited to other events? Fantastic food, reasonable prices and all for a good cause.

Looking forward to a Braunston beanburger though. Or two.

edited to add: with cheese

Is it legal to meat a meal without meat in it then? :lol::lol:

<Snip>

The KESCRG Bahji stand was at Wendover this weekend gone.

Agree that it is an excellent value stand and it is a major fund raiser but it does takes an incredible amount of effort and volunter hours to run.

Tim

Well deserved IMHO - the boat was brilliant, and those showing us around were really friendly and helpfull. No appointment was needed nor if IRC did we have to wear over shoes or take our shoes off.

Even Jan understood what I was banging on about when I showed her the engine room. She really like the Boatman's cabin too, great when we need a couple more beds.

It is a great boat.

And what a good idea to modify tradition and leave the doors off the cupboard over the bed hole. With the extra porthole it really opened it up and removed the somewhat claustrophobic feeling that you can get in a boatman's cabin.

Nick

What - like the Braidbar hybrid, the Debdale Wharf AC electric powered boat, the William Piper reclaim timber interior, the Big Fish 'Buffalo' tug , the Daddys Boat Co 50ft tug with Dave Moore paintwork & boatman's cabin work, the GWV pink n'boat with disabled access, the Navigation NB Co sliding glass roof?

There was more genuine variety than I've seen in several years. Did you actually go or are you just having a pop for the sake of it?

I was PMed by someone who most people on this forum would greatly respect for his/her opinion on boats and boat building. I cannot reveal who he or she is of course, but here is an extract: "The problem is that so many of the punters have no idea of what a decent hull should look like and most of the builders are fabricators with no eye for balance and proportion."

Quite so.

I was PMed by someone who most people on this forum would greatly respect for his/her opinion on boats and boat building. I cannot reveal who he or she is of course, but here is an extract: "The problem is that so many of the punters have no idea of what a decent hull should look like and most of the builders are fabricators with no eye for balance and proportion."

Quite so.

I'm sorry but that is a statement of pure boating snobbery. When I was a lad and used to snigger at other people's down at heel cars my dad would say to me "every car is someone's pride and joy". Maybe you should try the same approach. Not everyone can afford, or even wants, an Ian Kemp shell. They have a boat to enjoy the waterways and suit their own needs and pocket. You may not like many of them - and I can't say most are my cup of tea either - but they don't deserve to be sneered at.

I'm sorry but that is a statement of pure boating snobbery. When I was a lad and used to snigger at other people's down at heel cars my dad would say to me "every car is someone's pride and joy". Maybe you should try the same approach. Not everyone can afford, or even wants, an Ian Kemp shell. They have a boat to enjoy the waterways and suit their own needs and pocket. You may not like many of them - and I can't say most are my cup of tea either - but they don't deserve to be sneered at.

Very nicely put Starman. I agree wholeheartedly.

It is not snobbery; it is fact.

If the magazines were objective rather than beholden to their advertisers, the general public would have greatly different expectations and desires about the sort of boat they might buy. It is not about affordability – for example boats like the NBC’s Aqualine range are by no means cheap at £80,000+. They simply make a far larger profit margin for their British producers who use relatively cheap labour to construct them overseas.

If the magazines were objective rather than beholden to their advertisers, the general public would have greatly different expectations and desires about the sort of boat they might buy. It is not about affordability – for example boats like the NBC’s Aqualine range are by no means cheap at £80,000+. They simply make a far larger profit margin for their British producers who use relatively cheap labour to construct them overseas.

Oh dear, it's all down to the dreaded media leading astray the simple-minded public who haven't got the taste or the intellect or the judgment to decide for themselves what they want.

1 - This sort of debate about features and advertisers rages throughout all types of forums all over t'internet, I've seen it previously in Land Rover forums too. I've always taken the stance that if you don't understand or like this then don't spend your £3.25.

2 - Now at the risk of getting into a whole debate about EU labour distribution and cost and just why labour in East Europe is so much cheaper than in the UK all I would say,

What is wrong with making a decent profit, if more companies (building canal boats or anything else) had had the foresight to out source their production but using British sourced products and design then many more may have stayed in business. Bottom line is loads of companies do it the other way by employing staff here in the UK from East Europe, if not our big hotel chains and restaurants would have gone belly up due to being unable to recruit staff.

So can we show a little respect for our EU colleagues,, if you don't subscribe to this view your choice is simple, don't buy a boat so manufactured. Somebody has spotted a good business opportunity in manufacturing a half decent product but by reducing it's biggest cost ie labour.

You know it's built in Poland - you don't like this, then don't buy it, we all have a choice.

I say hat's off to them..... :lol:

Oh and for the record should it be asked I have no connection with any boat manufacturing company at all.

Hat, coat I'm gone... :lol: :lol:

Edited by MJG

1 - This sort of debate about features and advertisers rages throughout all types of forums all over t'internet, I've seen it previously in Land Rover forums too. I've always taken the stance that if you don't understand or like this then don't spend your £3.25.

2 - Now at the risk of getting into a whole debate about EU labour distribution and cost and just why labour in East Europe is so much cheaper than in the UK all I would say,

What is wrong with making a decent profit, if more companies (building canal boats or anything else) had had the foresight to out source their production but using British sourced products and design then many more may have stayed in business. Bottom line is loads of companies do it the other way by employing staff here in the UK from East Europe, if not our big hotel chains and restaurants would have gone belly up due to being unable to recruit staff.

So can we show a little respect for our EU colleagues,, if you don't subscribe to this view your choice is simple, don't buy a boat so manufactured. Somebody has spotted a good business opportunity in manufacturing a half decent product but by reducing it's biggest cost ie labour.

You know it's built in Poland - you don't like this, then don't buy it, we all have a choice.

I say hat's off to them..... :lol:

Oh and for the record should it be asked I have no connection with any boat manufacturing company at all.

Hat, coat I'm gone... :lol: :lol:

Nothing wrong with making a decent profit.

But is it a decent or half decent product? Or a heavily marketed piece of hype? Time will tell.

Nothing wrong with making a decent profit.

But is it a decent or half decent product? Or a heavily marketed piece of hype? Time will tell.

Of course, that's why I asked my question about the hulls in the other thread but somebody ( it wasn't you was it ??) came back with an irrelevant comment with no objectivity or real evidence about the insides being made of MDF, so as you can see it's hard to get objective opinion whether you ask in an internet forum or read one of the mags....

Is it legal to meat a meal without meat in it then? :lol::lol:

Although I am at best a somewhat lapsed veggie, the meatless stuff is often the best when you're dealing with outside catering.

The KESCRG Bahji stand was at Wendover this weekend gone.

Agree that it is an excellent value stand and it is a major fund raiser but it does takes an incredible amount of effort and volunter hours to run.

Tim

Damn! Should've gone to Wendover

Sorry Starman, I have to disagree with you here. It's not snobbery or sniggering to say that there are some hull shapes that are better than others; not only from an aesthetic point of view, but a performance one too. This is not just a matter of taste; it is (at least up to a point) a matter of objective fact. And it is true that many if not most of the public don't know what to look for, and it is possible that this is because they are not well served by the mainstream magazines whose reviews focus on more superficial features like clever cupboards and novel layouts. How many hulls below the waterline do most prospective purchasers ever get to see?

It is not snobbery to point this out. It would of course, however, be unforgivable to sneer or snigger at anyone's pride and joy, and I see no one here doing or advocating that (not in this thread at any rate)

How many hulls below the waterline do most prospective purchasers ever get to see?

As it happens the Amber boats I looked at when I was at Crick where both out of the water as was the Kingsground boat we looked at and a few others (all laid on wooded bearers on the grass) - so the hulls in these cases were on full display for all to see

- problem, what the heck was I supposed to be looking for - they looked as good as each other to me. So even if you can see the hull what would/should a prospective purchaser be looking for?????

Surely it is also very true that people who own shiney semi-trads or 'washer joshers' are the first to look smug and be snooty. I even heard of comment from one such recently saying that an original fish class josher was nowhere as good as the Hawkins built boat because it was a bit rusty. The problem is that most boaters get their information from the boatbuilders and most of them don't know a josher or Woolwich from a bag of carrots - not sure I am a great expert but I at least know I don't know.

not sure I am a great expert but I at least know I don't know.

Reminds me of a classic quote I came across a while back. I can't remember the full spiel but the gist was that there are four types of knowledge

1. the known known's (i.e. what you know that you know)

2. the known unknown's (what you know you don't know)

3. the unknown known's (what you don't know that you know)

4. the unknown unknown's (the things that you don't know that you know)

Generally it's category 4 that causes the problems :lol:

But in any event, how much does the 'average' buyer need to know? why should they be any more interested in the hydrodynamic design of their boat hull than they are in the details of the aerodynamic design of their car. Most people who buy houses aren't building experts, most people who buy cars are car experts, most computer purchasers aren't computer experts - why should boat buyers need to be boat experts?

Peter

Of course, that's why I asked my question about the hulls in the other thread but somebody ( it wasn't you was it ??) came back with an irrelevant comment with no objectivity or real evidence about the insides being made of MDF, so as you can see it's hard to get objective opinion whether you ask in an internet forum or read one of the mags....

Yes it was. The shell may be wonderful. As a percentage of the boat's cost it is perhaps 20. So if you're not interested in the quality and durability of the remaining 80, i.e. the fit out, then you're making a big mistake.

I urge you to take a look at some high quality shells built by real boat builders, apprenticed in the trade. Go to Norton Canes, or RW Davis, or Brinklow Boats, or Roger Farrington, and others who I'm sure this forum can advise you of. Look at their steelwork out of the water, and then you'll see the difference. And if you ever get to steer one, you will know the difference between a floating bath tub and a real boat. That's not snobbery (Starman), it is a fact and a respect for genuine craftsman largely ignored by the waterway's press because they don't hand over thousands every month with glossy irrelevant ads about strawberries and chocolate, or whatever nonsense.

Oh dear, it's all down to the dreaded media leading astray the simple-minded public who haven't got the taste or the intellect or the judgment to decide for themselves what they want.

In your previous post you mentioned how your father tried to prevent you from sneering.

Obviously he failed.