Crick 2009

Featured Posts

Will be there Sunday and Monday. Will be like a zombie Sunday as heading off straight from night duty :lol::lol: Staying about 3 miles away, will jetison the caravan and go straight to Crick around 1ish. So if you see someone walking around who looks asleep............thats me!

Had a very good day - spent out and exhaysted! Loved the atmosphere.
We also had a really lovely day, also knackered, but the baby went to sleep very quickly tonight so might be worth the entrance fee again tomorrow!We fell in love with nb Imagine, although OH wasn't enamoured by the pink paintwork!!Pretty pleasant day all round, popped to Braunston for a drink on the way home... I NEEEED a boat!Sarah

We felt that if anything, and despite a few missing names among the exhibitors, the show is better than ever. The fine weather helps. If you are interested in boats and canals the Crick show is a must and those exhibitors that are here seem to be offering some incredibly good deals - we bought some new Helly Hanson waterproofs for less that half the price that they normally sell at. There are also several new exhibitors that we haven't seen here before and there are some exceptionally good deals to be had on fenders and chandlery.

The selection of new boats on display is, if anything, of a better standard than last year and all well worth checking out . . .

We felt that if anything, and despite a few missing names among the exhibitors, the show is better than ever. The fine weather helps. If you are interested in boats and canals the Crick show is a must and those exhibitors that are here seem to be offering some incredibly good deals - we bought some new Helly Hanson waterproofs for less that half the price that they normally sell at. There are also several new exhibitors that we haven't seen here before and there are some exceptionally good deals to be had on fenders and chandlery.

The selection of new boats on display is, if anything, of a better standard than last year and all well worth checking out . . .

Making me wished I had stopped now, Did the moorings fill up today or is all the trade by car?

Just back from crick.

Great place most of the builders were great but somme so sniffy no apointment and you dont get on there boatys. Even after driving 3 hours one way.

Then paying 16 quide to get in.

But there loss as we were sat having a beer we were chatting to several others who had the same treatment.

Gues what between us all there was 260 grands worth of orders.

I will not mention there names but I will chuckle and just hope that the chosen few who got on there boatys were all tyre kikers.

Oh to be so judgemental.

Thanks to the ducth barge builder who let us view at 7pm Thanks to all what a great day

Making me wished I had stopped now, Did the moorings fill up today or is all the trade by car?

Yep! We are all breasted up along here now - apparently there was a last minute rush for moorings and with the bridge re-instated, we are getting a lot of visitors along the tow path. :lol:

Agree with appointmets for viewing boats felt some people were looking us up and down. However we went to view a Heartwood Narrow boat and they were absolutely fantastic. Small family run business the son is a joiner only a young man but you should see the quality of his workmanship. The whole family were really warm and friendly. Deffinately on our list when we move aboard full time in a few years. Admired their boats for some time and they didn't let us down at all. :lol:

Agree with appointmets for viewing boats felt some people were looking us up and down. However we went to view a Heartwood Narrow boat and they were absolutely fantastic. Small family run business the son is a joiner only a young man but you should see the quality of his workmanship. The whole family were really warm and friendly. Deffinately on our list when we move aboard full time in a few years. Admired their boats for some time and they didn't let us down at all. :lol:

Seems odd that people travel hundreds of miles (we have met several forum members that have) and pay £9 admission to a boat show, then have to make an appointment to view a boat. I would think that those 'commercial' vendors that operate this system are doing themselves no favours.

We were made most welcome aboard 'Pyrus' the boat being exhibited by William Piper Narrowboats and were treated to the full tour even when we said that we weren't interested in buying but were just researching ideas for improving our own boat. That is the right attitude!

Can't really understand the reluctance to let people look through a boat.

If you build boats and have paid to be there, surely the more people than walk through the boat, the better.

Its basically the same every year, so we decided to give it a miss and spent the money on a bluetooth music system

for the boat instead.

Seems odd that people travel hundreds of miles (we have met several forum members that have) and pay £9 admission to a boat show, then have to make an appointment to view a boat. I would think that those 'commercial' vendors that operate this system are doing themselves no favours.

We were made most welcome aboard 'Pyrus' the boat being exhibited by William Piper Narrowboats and were treated to the full tour even when we said that we weren't interested in buying but were just researching ideas for improving our own boat. That is the right attitude!

We have just got back from Crick. Had a great time, though I agree about the appointments system. I found it quite hard even to find the person who was making the appointments in some cases. The William Piper boat was so refreshing, I had a long look round with my Mum, and then another look later with the children. I loved the boat!

By the way I walked past your boat and said hello........only to the boat as I don't think you were there.

I always have found this with Piper.

Lots of identikit boats, but the quality builders were noticeable by their absence.

If you want a decent boat, go to Graham Edgson at Norton Canes.

Go to Phil Trotter at RW Davis.

Go anywhere but Crick.

Lots of floating bungalows at Crick. Some ok, some rubbish. No real boats though.

Thought it was a great show, could have been more in the way of chandlers or rummage through a box stuff though.

Have to agree that some of the boats are floating palaces that in 4 years time and a bit of cruising might not have weathered so well.

Even so I'll be going back again next year!

Sven ;o)

That was one of or two favourite boats at the show, the workmanship and the fixtures were outstanding. The reclaimed wood floor really set the boat off. There was some other really nice boats too we go a bit overwhelmed by the choice in styles and constantly wavered between favouring the traditional (as Pyrus above) and the ferwood boat which was beautifully finished to but very modern. I think my worry about buying such a modern boat would be how quickly they could go out of fashion were the traditional boats really look and feel timeless.

Just got back and have to say we really enjoyed the two days we had there, it was a great atmosphere and the weather was just superb and really helped. I think the only down side was some of the high prices some of the on site caterers were charging, but I suppose they do have to make a living and will I presume pay a pretty steep price to be there. Lesson for next year will be take own grub....

As to the appointments system some were operating - one we visited (Kingsground) made it work really well and you got 121 attention one other (who will remain nameless) mad a pigs ear of it by over booking thus negating any potential benefit.

Finished the day off by journeying home via. Foxton Locks to see the boat lift site and have a bacon butty.... very nice end to the weekend. Not sure Jan understood my fascination with a steep grassy bank with a few old concrete filled trenches in it. :lol: :lol: but you do have to see it in the flesh to understand what a massively impressive piece of engineering it was/is and could be again.

We'll definitely be back to Crick next year even if it is a 360 mile round trip.

Edited by MJG

Lots of identikit boats

What - like the Braidbar hybrid, the Debdale Wharf AC electric powered boat, the William Piper reclaim timber interior, the Big Fish 'Buffalo' tug , the Daddys Boat Co 50ft tug with Dave Moore paintwork & boatman's cabin work, the GWV pink n'boat with disabled access, the Navigation NB Co sliding glass roof?

There was more genuine variety than I've seen in several years. Did you actually go or are you just having a pop for the sake of it?

Edited by starman

Went today. Just a sprinkling of rain at lunch time.

We were too late to vote for Pyrus as the best boat but she won anyway. A lovely change from the plywood coffins.

The electric boat was interesting but mind bogglingly complicated. I wonder how much of the IT will be working in 20 years.

Nick

We were too late to vote for Pyrus as the best boat but she won anyway. A lovely change from the plywood coffins.

Nick

Well deserved IMHO - the boat was brilliant, and those showing us around were really friendly and helpfull. No appointment was needed nor if IRC did we have to wear over shoes or take our shoes off.

Even Jan understood what I was banging on about when I showed her the engine room. She really like the Boatman's cabin too, great when we need a couple more beds.

It is a great boat.

The show boats aren't usually owned by the boat yards. They are someone's newly acquired pride and joy often with the owners living on it at the time. In those circumstances I would want some control over who came on the boat. Also why go that distance without making appointments in advance? I helped a friend show a boat at a boat show, people used the loo, took ornaments and looked in every single cupboard in the name of entertainment. I wouldn't let a boat of mine be a show boat.

Sue

It was good to meet you today and I am really pleased to learn about 'Pyrus' winning best in show . . .

Back home again, and all in all another good show. I didn't get round many of the show boats, so can't really comment on 'best', although there seemed to be quite a variety. Some good deals to be had on equipment, and a few suppliers I hadn't seen before showing some interesting stuff.

It will be interesting to see what the attendance was like, but there seemed to be a good crowd all three days, and the few traders I got talking to all seemed to have had a good weekend sales-wise, which I guess is good going at the moment.

Only disappointment was that I seemed to manage to miss most of the forum members who apparently were there - maybe we need some 'canalworld' badges to make the 'spotting' easier!

Peter

I went down towards the end of the day on both Sunday and Monday. Chatted to a number of trade people there that I know, all of whom were in buoyant mood and claiming that interest was high from the public. I hope that proves to be so - boat builders are going through very tough times at the moment. There was a good variety too - I loved the little tug by Daddy's Boat Co - it had a lot of character. I didn't get to see round the Piper boat (I don't think it fair for me to take up their time when I'm not looking to buy, just being nosey) but everyone I met was full of praise for it. back here in my office earlier I can't complian either - I got a lot of "footfall" from people who had been at the show in the morning and then came here afterwards, and on to other places such as Braunston and Whilton no doubt.

It was good meet a number of forum members too - which stand was that at? Oh yeah, the real ale stand.

Back home again, and all in all another good show. I didn't get round many of the show boats, so can't really comment on 'best', although there seemed to be quite a variety. Some good deals to be had on equipment, and a few suppliers I hadn't seen before showing some interesting stuff.

It will be interesting to see what the attendance was like, but there seemed to be a good crowd all three days, and the few traders I got talking to all seemed to have had a good weekend sales-wise, which I guess is good going at the moment.

Only disappointment was that I seemed to manage to miss most of the forum members who apparently were there - maybe we need some 'canalworld' badges to make the 'spotting' easier!

Peter

I spotted you and a few others but I am too shy.

Went on Sat & Sun. Really enjoyed it, but would have liked to have seen a bit of vintage stuff there. Credit to the organisers for having the best kept loos we've ever seen.

Our only gripes would have to be that many of the exhibitors seemed far more interested in holding their own staff gatherings/reading a book/texting on their 'phones than in serving customers.

:lol: But the REAL prize has to go to the hog roast, who were charging no less than SIX POUNDS for a pork bap. Glad to say they didn't seem to be selling many. Maybe their rent means that they have to charge inflated prices, but we can get a full carvery meal for two for just a pound more.

Anyway - gripe over. On the whole, we enjoyed the show and will certainly be back next year!