Possibly another boatbuilder

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Please note this is not yet confirmed but on VERY good authority

I have just heard from another member who is also in the waterways industry that Reeve's boatbuilders have laid off 50% of their staff

and they have called the administrators in

If this is true then it is indeed a worrying sign for the boat building industry

Reeve's have been around for a good number of years and produce a very good , price reflective product.

I only hope that if they are in financial difficulties they can either resolve them soon or manage to limit the damage to

customers and suppliers alike

Chris

I also heard the other day that a well known small independant builder with an excellent repution, has no orders for new boats. Fortunately being a very versatile two man operation, he will probably be able to stay solvent with repairs and conversions etc.

Tragically, another victim of Gordon's recession. And won't be the last.

Stickleback

Are you suggesting that all the other Western economies are not suffering exactly the same problem? or is Gordon Brown responsible for their financial woes as well?

We are suffering a world recession, and even Gordon does not think he is in charge of the World. That mantle is worn by the U.S. President.

Sorry :lol: I just get peeved when people make such inapropriate comments.

Are you suggesting that all the other Western economies are not suffering exactly the same problem? or is Gordon Brown responsible for their financial woes as well?

We are suffering a world recession, and even Gordon does not think he is in charge of the World. That mantle is worn by the U.S. President.

Sorry :lol: I just get peeved when people make such inapropriate comments.

Seconded!

I'm no lover of what our current government has become, but certainly also not naive enough to deceive myself that the other lot would have us in any better shape.

In fact more or less since Labour became "New Labour", about the only discernible difference from the Tories has seemed to be the colour of the rosette.

I fear for this country - we don't actually seem to "make" anything any more, instead we prop ourselves up with a load of service "industries". That change was already well under way a long while before Blair, unfortunately. He just gave us more of the same.

(Rant ends!).

Brown has done more to damage our own economy than any other Western bean counter since Dennis Healy. We already had a gaping black hole in our finances before the "world recession" - that's one of the reasons why he sold off a chunk of our gold reserve. What has happened around the world has revealed the utter b*lls -up he's been making over the last 10 years. Usual Labour thing of spend spend spend tax tax tax. And no, I'm not a Tory voter.

I just wish people would wake up to the reality of what has and is going on before sheepishly following the Labour spin. The fact is we are the most taxed nation in Europe if not the world, have a government that has removed many of our rights whilst giving in to pressure from the EU (and others) to give more and more room to all and sundry trekking their way here to take advantage of our health service, benefits and space. We have a police force that is now an almost exclusive government agency - used for tax gathering and to 'promote' policy. A CPS that always looks for the easiest option and will walk away from anything but the easiest cases to prosecute. Councils who think they can dictate any whim or fancy and fine you if you don't agree or object.

This country has become a mess and every government since the war has failed the people it suposedly represents. It is the very fools who supported Blair/Brown who still seem oblivious to the reality of the state of this country and are always the first to do exactly what they have always done - blame the 'world recession' 'previous government' etc etc.

I apologise for the rant but I'm just sick and tired of my countrymen and women 'sleep-walking' into this mess and what has become a tin-pot dictatorship. And yes, I tried to do something about it locally but hey-ho becuause I wouldn't join a political party, because I couldn't come up with the 'right' cv and cash, I was blocked at every turn.

So in 12 months I'm off for good to a place where there is democracy, where there are fair tax laws and I can live out the rest of my days without the fear of being mugged by yobs, the police or the government!

I shall now replace my spleen and return to my usual self!

This country has become a mess and every government since the war has failed the people it suposedly represents.

I really don't think anyone can claim Atlee's government failed the people

So in 12 months I'm off for good to a place where there is democracy, where there are fair tax laws and I can live out the rest of my days without the fear of being mugged by yobs, the police or the government!

Brunei?

Brown has done more to damage our own economy than any other Western bean counter since Dennis Healy. We already had a gaping black hole in our finances before the "world recession" - that's one of the reasons why he sold off a chunk of our gold reserve. What has happened around the world has revealed the utter b*lls -up he's been making over the last 10 years. Usual Labour thing of spend spend spend tax tax tax. And no, I'm not a Tory voter.

I just wish people would wake up to the reality of what has and is going on before sheepishly following the Labour spin. The fact is we are the most taxed nation in Europe if not the world, have a government that has removed many of our rights whilst giving in to pressure from the EU (and others) to give more and more room to all and sundry trekking their way here to take advantage of our health service, benefits and space. We have a police force that is now an almost exclusive government agency - used for tax gathering and to 'promote' policy. A CPS that always looks for the easiest option and will walk away from anything but the easiest cases to prosecute. Councils who think they can dictate any whim or fancy and fine you if you don't agree or object.

This country has become a mess and every government since the war has failed the people it suposedly represents. It is the very fools who supported Blair/Brown who still seem oblivious to the reality of the state of this country and are always the first to do exactly what they have always done - blame the 'world recession' 'previous government' etc etc.

I apologise for the rant but I'm just sick and tired of my countrymen and women 'sleep-walking' into this mess and what has become a tin-pot dictatorship. And yes, I tried to do something about it locally but hey-ho becuause I wouldn't join a political party, because I couldn't come up with the 'right' cv and cash, I was blocked at every turn.

Little I can argue with there... I seem to be too old for most other places but can you share the destination you have identified as being a possibility ?

Nick

Well, without going down the road of how one lone Scotsman was responsible for the world recession, Zimbabwean hyperinflation, AIDS, global warming, and the failure of England to win the world cup for 43 years, apparently, rumours of G&J Reeves's demise are NOT TRUE, I am told by an even more reliable source. Yes, they have laid some people off - several months ago now - but they continue to trade.

Little I can argue with there... I seem to be too old for most other places but can you share the destination you have identified as being a possibility ?

Nick

I think it might be Godalming.

Edited by Dominic M

Nick

There are many depending on how far you want to go. I've looked closely at some European destinations (Greece and France) also South Africa (very corrupt system but there were fewer murders in Natal when I was there for 3 months than in West Yorkshire!) I'll be taking the barge to France for a year or so then off to Greece for another couple of years. I don't intend staying in one place unless I want/need to.

If you want to start looking at possibilities, have a look at this - it's for Americans but the info is good: http://www.escapeartist.com/

Colin

Well I hope you manage to get your copy of the Daily Mail where you are going Goodbye

There are many depending on how far you want to go. I've looked closely at some European destinations (Greece and France) also South Africa (very corrupt system but there were fewer murders in Natal when I was there for 3 months than in West Yorkshire!) I'll be taking the barge to France for a year or so then off to Greece for another couple of years. I don't intend staying in one place unless I want/need to.

If you want to start looking at possibilities, have a look at this - it's for Americans but the info is good: http://www.escapeartist.com/

Colin

There is no such place as Natal do you mean KwaZulu Natal could you please suply the figures of murders in KwaZulu Natal and West Yorkshire during the period you were there.

Think it was Greece where they had the riots earlier this year over the shooting by the police of an inocent student.

I think it might be Godalming.

Having had many years experience of the place I think I can say that Godalming does definitely does not fit the description - Haslemere might possibly be a candidate but Godalming - No Way ! :lol:

Colin

Hi Colin

Have been ( still chewing over the idea ) of running a B and B in France / Spain, although France has possibly more / better canals... also had Greece on the shortlist, but fear their weak financial situation, and a cousin recently ( last summer) moved back to 50 miles from Cape Town and is loudly singing its praises, although S.A. doesn't draw me...

Oz / NZ are/were being considered but porobably unable to get there ( age ), although being healthy and wouldn't need a mortgage / job, may be able to re-consider - family member has lived there last 50 years ( Cairns / Townsville) although may not be "around" much longer.... kids will have flown the nest in a couple of years ( to elsewhere too) so perhaps see what the next few years brings.....

Police here are getting tougher too ( good) although their press at the moment is not too savoury :lol:

Nick

I fear for this country - we don't actually seem to "make" anything any more, instead we prop ourselves up with a load of service "industries". That change was already well under way a long while before Blair, unfortunately. He just gave us more of the same.

(Rant ends!).

But why is that necessarily a bad thing? A mark of the economic development of a country is the proportion of people employed in tertiary (service) and quaternary (information) sectors, rather than manufacturing (secondary) or the acquisition of resources (primary). The more developed a country economically, the greater the proportion in tertiary and quaternary.

This country DOES still make things (in one sense of the word)- but the things it makes are more likely to be computer code or financial data, rather than something you can turn on a lathe. It's true that wee no longer make as many actual products, such as cars, ships etc., but that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially in a world where the actual products can be made far cheaper elsewhere- it is possible to produce boats in Gdansk in a way and for a price that is impossible to replicate for the UK.

I don't think we ought to be harking back to the Industrial Revolution as a "golden age"; we shouldn't bemoan the fact that Britain has far more tertiary than secondary industry. Both are very vulnerable in a recession, if anything, arguably, tertiary and quaternary are in some ways more stable than secondary; people might not be able to afford to buy a new car or boat, but they still want to have education, healthcare, banks, and the other "basics" from the tertiary sector that we have come to expect from modern life.

I don't think we can blame "New" Labour for this paradigm shift in the industry of the UK; I don't think it requires blame at all, but more deserves praise.

Well I hope you manage to get your copy of the Daily Mail where you are going Goodbye

There is no such place as Natal do you mean KwaZulu Natal could you please suply the figures of murders in KwaZulu Natal and West Yorkshire during the period you were there.

Think it was Greece where they had the riots earlier this year over the shooting by the police of an inocent student.

KwaZulu Natal or 'KZN' or 'Natal' as my South African friends call it = 1 West Yorkshire = 3. I don't read newspapers or the Daily Mail. Riots in Greece, yes as in many other places.

It is my personal choice to leave these shores and one which at the moment, I am free to make unlike many other presonal choices that I am not free to make in this country any more. Anyone who wishes to stay or leave, that's up to them. Many are voting with their feet and suitcases. A lot don't have the option. Many do nothing.

Don't forget to turn the lights off when we've all gone.

I really don't think anyone can claim Atlee's government failed the people

Furthermore, going to extremes, one could argue that Thatcher's government most certainly did not fail the people it supposedly represented. Indeed, Thatcher was very protective of the middle class ("our people") with their work ethic and "Victorian Values". Thatcher never supposed to represent the working classes, in any way whatsoever.

(Admittedly that point is rather pedantic- of course the government is supposed to represent everyone, in a democracy, but that's in many ways impossible to achieve in reality.)

Hi Colin

Have been ( still chewing over the idea ) of running a B and B in France / Spain, although France has possibly more / better canals... also had Greece on the shortlist, but fear their weak financial situation, and a cousin recently ( last summer) moved back to 50 miles from Cape Town and is loudly singing its praises, although S.A. doesn't draw me...

Oz / NZ are/were being considered but porobably unable to get there ( age ), although being healthy and wouldn't need a mortgage / job, may be able to re-consider - family member has lived there last 50 years ( Cairns / Townsville) although may not be "around" much longer.... kids will have flown the nest in a couple of years ( to elsewhere too) so perhaps see what the next few years brings.....

Police here are getting tougher too ( good) although their press at the moment is not too savoury :lol:

Nick

Hi Nick.

France has its problems and it isn't easy to set up a business but the benefits far outstrip the negatives. Spain is a bit dodgy when it comes to property law and tax - easy to trip up without good advice. Greece - there is a way to (legally) protect your finances to some degree. SA can be fantastic but is is a very different lifestyle and you need security which takes soem getting used to. I hear very good things about OZ and NZ but no real experience of them.

The police are getting tougher but I think in the wrong direction. In my opinion it's the CPS who need sorting out. It doesn't matter what the police do to catch 'real' criminals - far to often their efforts are binned because the CPS will only go for cases where they have a cast-iron chance of winning. Even when they do prosecute or someone pleads guilty, the magistrates live on a different planet and won't dish out appropriate penalties - even if the government doesn't instruct them to send less people to jail.

I suspect (with the exception of some notable incidents lately and the work they do for the government) a lot of the bad press they get is the fault of the CPS and the government rather than themselves.

Colin

Well, having just come back from 4 weeks in Australia, mostly spent in Victoria, I am giving it serious consideration as a place to move to (probably depending on whether my son stays there). It just seems to have so much going for it: Friendly people, a government that is by all accounts reasonably open, sensible taxes, realistic H&S not a nanny state (they put up plenty of signs to warn you of things, but then let you get on with your life), schoolkids and teenagers who apologise if they are standing in your way on the pavement, not to mention the fantastic food (steak, seafood half the price of this country), the outstanding scenery and the great climate. Any picnic spot or bit of green has FREE gas or electric barbecues, which are alway spotlessyly clean (how long would one of those last in the UK before being trashed?). And when was the last time you saw a car parked in a rural carpark with a TomTom GPS fitted on the windscreen (and all windows intact)?

For several years now, every time I come back to this country from abroad I get depressed. Beleive me I love this country, I'm jst so saddened to see what has become of it and I'm afraid much of it is down to the Blair/Brown government. And apart from say Zimbabwe, in how many countries would jacqui Smith still hold on to her most senior role in government after being shown up for flagrant corruption?

Can someone explain can this country survive on an information and service sector only, or is manufacturing(sorry secondary) important? What ever happened to balance of payments don't seem to hear much about that these days!