ooooh some dog owners frustrate me!!!

Featured Posts

Whatever happened to white dog poo?

There used to be loads of it about when I was young, one on every street corner, but today it's rarer than rocking horse......

Well, perhaps not....

I blame the supermarkets. :lol:

You could be right there Neil, it is all about bones and the supermarkets do not have any bones for the dogs like they did in the good ol days. I still get my meat from a local butcher who gives me bones for my 3.

They produce *nice* small solid white stools that dont stick to shoes!

• 2 weeks later...

As a cyclist fisherman dog owner and a soon to be live aboard, Iam amazed that dog owners just let there dogs crap where ever they want. I was up at glasson last week end Great weather. Real freindly atmosphere. Then i witnessed a local just letting her dogs One Irish wolf hound and a collie type run on the beech?mud area, She just watched as the hounds craped all over where others will walk or play. I have a system My dog is a st bernard so when he goes I need a dump truck to move it But i still pick it up and take it home its a pitty more dog owners dont have the same mentality. It takes a dog owner 1 minute to clean it up but a cyclist with no mud gaurds or a child that a different story.

• 2 weeks later...

Another rant... :lol:

I was walking out in the night air, along the canal up to Foulridge tunnel (on the path nearest to the canal), and on the way back, I took the upper path, and had I not had my torch, I would have trodden in a great big pile of crap right in the middle of the effing path!!! :lol: :lol: ;)

And it looked freshly done too, so presumably an evening walker out with his or her dog earlier on... ;)

Gits.... :lol:

I always thought that white dog poo was caused by being baked in the sun. We'd need long memories for that! :lol:

I too carry pocketfulls of "doggy bags", I am sometimes guilty of accidentally letting the flimsy things blow away while trying to open them up, or a stray one falling out of my pocket.

Occasionally on the cut I use a small shovel and place the poo inside/under a hedgerow out of harms way.(Never ever hanging from a branch, I do not understand the psychology of that) If anyone has objections to this, say so.

Most of the time hidden away in a corner of the afterdeck of my cruiser style narrowboat is a supermarket bag with half a dozen full poo bags inside. It is not pleasant but sometimes poo bins are few and far between, other times it is not convenient to stop at them.

I get really annoyed at folks who let their dogs mess on the strip of grass between the towpath and canal. After all, that strip of grass is the boaters "doorstep" One certain owner, in the Milton Keynes area with a back gate on to the tow path, opens the gate at night to let the dogs go out and do their buisness, I think she was surprised to see me watching her quietly from the cratch, I had seen her the night before, but this night she muttered something went back in and came out with a bag!

Fun Story. I read this in a newspaper some years ago.

An old guy tied up his dog outside a jewlers and went in. When he came out he was seen to be clutching a small blue bag. While he was struggling to untie his dog a youth on a mountain bike swooped in and snatched the bag. I bet he was disappointed at the contents!

We were in Braunston a couple of weeks ago. Walked into the vill for shopping. Cut across field and join canal at a bridge to the north of junction turn.

Nice looking boat (I know the name) slows, let dogs off, pulls away and then speeds up leaving said dogs on towpath. Dogs then do what comes naturally (both functions) on towpath as boat is about 50 yds ahead. At next bridge boat slows, dogs back onboard job done.

We shout, wave arms, no response.

I am dog owner and this really pi***s me off. Do I report? Name and shame?

Martyn

Oh no! I spend all day dealing with calls about dog fouling and then I have to come home and read about it on here!

Is there no escape?

Well yes there is. If the councils actually did fine people for letting their dogs crap in public places then perhaps people would start behaving more responsibly. A few well-publicised fines of the maximum £1000 would concentrate the minds wonderfully.

And responsible dog owners could do more about the irresponsible ones that give all dog walkers a bad name. But, like misbehaving dogs it is always someone elses dog isn't it?

The dogs dont misbehave, its their owners that do.

That's it.....it's the owners misbehaving and not the dogs - they're dogs for heavens sake.

I remember a few doggie generations ago that pooing pooches were encouraged to 'deposit' in the gutter by the pavement curb so when the next shower of rain came, it was washed down the grid and off to wherever!

I've managed now to train my hound to take a leak into the cut and not on boaters' lovely multicoloured mooring ropes. Along with the vast majority of doggy owners we scoop the poop and bin the sin.....What gets my goat in our marina is that whilst my three sons pick up the the dog poop, there are several other doggy owners that don't....but when my youngest son, for a bit of mischief, piddled against one of the trees in the marina, these particular boaters shot over to reception to 'tell tales' - the same boaters who let their dogs poo everywhere!...Whilst I had my youngest boy mopping the tree with the boat mop and 'Detol', these boaters stood on their boats watching, tutting and nodding...WHILST ONE OF THEIR DOGS WAS CRAPPING AWAY! Their time will come - bloody shiny boaters!!

Spleen now vented!

A x

I was walking along a North Wales High Street one busy morning and witnessed a bloke studiously ignoring his large incontinent dog doing the foul deed just about centrally in the pavement. As soon as the dog was ready to move on his owner did too.

I always carry a few small bags in my pocket, as we have a boatcat, and need to retrieve her offerings from time to time.

I was angry to see this chap's cavallier attitude, so almost without thinking I used one of my baggies to pick up his dog's mess.

I caught up with said man, tapped him on the shoulder and said "I think you dropped something", as his hand came out to recieve his "dropped" item, I pressed the bag, dirty side down into it.

I didn't hang around to see his reaction.

I dont have a dog , I dont want a dog ( certainly not a newfoundland ) why am I sat here reading this??

Cos like me you're tired of avoiding or stepping in or cycling through piles of dog sh*t left by discourteous bar stewards who think they have a right to leave their dog's mess where people walk or cycle? :lol:

Fun Story. I read this in a newspaper some years ago.

An old guy tied up his dog outside a jewlers and went in. When he came out he was seen to be clutching a small blue bag. While he was struggling to untie his dog a youth on a mountain bike swooped in and snatched the bag. I bet he was disappointed at the contents!

I was angry to see this chap's cavallier attitude, so almost without thinking I used one of my baggies to pick up his dog's mess.

I caught up with said man, tapped him on the shoulder and said "I think you dropped something", as his hand came out to recieve his "dropped" item, I pressed the bag, dirty side down into it.

I didn't hang around to see his reaction.

I don't know which is funniest, the turd thief or the one caught brown-handed!!! :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Can I just add (ooh, never contributed in this section before) that shovelling it into the canal does NOT count as clearing it up either. If we wanted the canal full of crap we could all have sea toilets and save a lot of money and trouble. But we don't.

And responsible dog owners could do more about the irresponsible ones that give all dog walkers a bad name. But, like misbehaving dogs it is always someone elses dog isn't it?

As should responsible boat owners should do something about overstayers and litterers, but I don't see that happening.

I don't like the 'stick and flick' types, if you going to the effort 'Bag and Bin' is the only way

I don't like the 'stick and flick' types, if you going to the effort 'Bag and Bin' is the only way

I think putting it in the hedge, or cut, to compost "in situ" is preferable to sending another plastic bag to landfill (though I bag most of my dog's waste).

Nothing is worse than flinging bags full of sh!t in the hedge, though.

Yesterday I counted 7 piles of poo, albeit small ones (presumably a small dog, like a yorkie or a butt-ugly bugeye chihuahua), in the middle of the towpath, where I was cycling, and one (which I didn't count) was sat in the grass where I almost put my bike stand after the chain slipped off, that wouldn't have been very fun to clean off!!! :lol:

Edited by twocvbloke

We buy bio-degradable poo bags....but still pick up and dispose of in a doggy poo bin!

They degrade a bit fast though don't they?

We've noticed a lack of poo bins on some stretches of the GU, so I've resorted to erm 'storing' the full poo bags in one of my rooftop planters. (I'm dead classy, me, creating my own onboard poo tree).

We spotted a poo bin near Braunston tunnel a few days ago, sent the Sub Captain to offload our precious cargo, only to find that some of the bags totally desentigrated in his hands. Oh sh*t!

:lol: U r so right, what pisses me off as a 24/7 365 boater is on our stretch and many others over the years I c pratts who live in those silly house things EVERY day coming down to the canal they park their car jobby out jumps the two dogs and owners who promptly stride off up the towpath dogs trailing behind shitting everywhere whils owners pretend not to notice......when I mention I am going to bring my dog up to dump in their gardens they dont seem to like it

:lol: U r so right, what pisses me off as a 24/7 365 boater is on our stretch and many others over the years I c pratts who live in those silly house things EVERY day coming down to the canal they park their car jobby out jumps the two dogs and owners who promptly stride off up the towpath dogs trailing behind shitting everywhere whils owners pretend not to notice......when I mention I am going to bring my dog up to dump in their gardens they dont seem to like it

what they do near me in their car jobbys is let the dog out and then drive along the towpath while pedigree chum chases behind.lazy, lazy,lazy.

last week i was threatened twice by dogs off leash and neither time did their owners apoligise or even a aknowledge the fact ,the first time i was un armed and defencless the second time i had a windless and a can of beer the next time it happens i shall leave up to yoour own imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow interesting thread!! As a daily dog walker down the canal i have noticed the increase of dog poo stacking up along the canal as the weather is great. I mean all it takes is a trip to poundland and buying 100bags for a pound i mean whats a pound compared to a 500pound fine? :lol: I clean my dogs mess up all the time but i have a few times missed his mess as his slacks behind some times id admit that lol :lol: But ive now noticed its not only the dogs that mess down the canal ;)

Over the last few weeks i had been seeing bushes flattened down and im thinking hmm, So one day i took a look (about the blue) and what did i come across? human poo!!!! :o and im only seeing this along a certain part of the footpath i walk along. So one day i went out about 9pm which i never go down the canal at that time and what did my dog come along in a bush hidden? a lorry driver having a poo!! yes you heard it lorry drivers are using the canal footpath i walk along on a daily basic as a poo pad!! :lol: It turns my stomach seeing it and when my dog steps in it or trys to eat it (sorry) it winds me up more. And it winds me up when they poo under the bridge on the path!!! :lol:

Before anyone asks how do i know its them, i know because lorry drivers stop over night on the road right next to the canal and ive seen the odd bloke with toilet roll in hand walking down the stairs!!

Ive now contacted British waterways regarding this and hope soon something is done soon.

Sorry if ive bored everyone with my post but it winds me up. and i hope i havert turned a few stomachs ;)