Tyre round the blade

bargeeboy

Featured Posts

This is the picture of the tyre I picked up above Widewater on Wednesday

See my Blog for full details

At least you were going downhill so you could drop onto a cill easily. We once picked up about 20-30 foot of rubber conveyor belt there, but although it was impressive at least it came off easily. The worst thing was a great tangle of barbed wire - that turned the air blue a bit.

Warning, Don't try this at home!!!

The chap holding the tiller is looking at the 'keep boat forward of cill marker" sign as if he's thinking "AND WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T?" :lol:

edit typo

Edited by magnetman

At least you were going downhill so you could drop onto a cill easily. We once picked up about 20-30 foot of rubber conveyor belt there, but although it was impressive at least it came off easily. The worst thing was a great tangle of barbed wire - that turned the air blue a bit.

I don't like the idea of holding the stern up on the cill while you work on the prop. A number of possible accidents spring to mind.

1. As the weight is taken by the bottom of the boat resting on the solid cill the boat loses lateral stability and capsizes.

2. Of course you take great care not to let too much water out but while you are working on the prop the lock level drops as the bottom paddles are a bit leaky and the bow goes under.

3. The cill is a bit slippery and the boat runs forward, the full weight is put on the skeg which bends and jams the rudder stock before the boat drops off and goes with a big splash and runs forward and clobbers the bottom gates.

4... I can't think of any more but I am sure that some more of our alarmist friends will find a few with which to alarm us.

In short, I rather feel that I would get a passing boater to tak e me in tow to the nearest boatyard and pay to get to the bottom in a more conventional way.

Nick

I don't like the idea of holding the stern up on the cill while you work on the prop. A number of possible accidents spring to mind.

1. As the weight is taken by the bottom of the boat resting on the solid cill the boat loses lateral stability and capsizes.

2. Of course you take great care not to let too much water out but while you are working on the prop the lock level drops as the bottom paddles are a bit leaky and the bow goes under.

3. The cill is a bit slippery and the boat runs forward, the full weight is put on the skeg which bends and jams the rudder stock before the boat drops off and goes with a big splash and runs forward and clobbers the bottom gates.

4... I can't think of any more but I am sure that some more of our alarmist friends will find a few with which to alarm us.

In short, I rather feel that I would get a passing boater to tak e me in tow to the nearest boatyard and pay to get to the bottom in a more conventional way.

Nick

The whole idea of the rope at the back is that it is tied in such away as so the boat cannot slip forward, as these were experienced boaters involved i should think they were keeping a check on the boat all the while it was on the cill, alot of us, without weedhatches have to resort to this sometimes in extreme situations. One of a very few pictures you will find of a boat being cilled deliberately. looks like denham deep lock to me.

I'm guessing that with a 70 foot ex working boat in the lock in question you could probably fully empty it with little risk of the bow going under.

I'm assuming that the reason the boat is roped to the gates is to avoid your point 3.

I think it would be a different prospect with a shorter, more modern boat, but is a practice that has gone on with working boats for years, with no recorded calamaties I'm aware of.

Of course if you are near a staircase lock, it all becomes a lot easier to deal with......

EDIT:

To say that if it is Denham Deep, I don't think I'd have tried it either!!

Edited by alan_fincher

Its all in a days boating

pirelli2.jpg

Yes Man in charge, Men on top and bottom paddles, Man on cill, Young Noah as trainee, Mum on tea maker and Me on Camera .

Fully Risk Accessed and Method Statemented !!

The Job was done in less time than it took to write it.

Edited by bargeeboy

pirelli2.jpg

Yes Man in charge, Men on top and bottom paddles, Man on cill, Young Noah as trainee, Mum on tea maker and Me on Camera .

Fully Risk Accessed and Method Statemented !!

The Job was done in less time than it took to write it.

Did you clean out the lock while you were about it? The water certainly looks like it could do with it.

Very impressive and the tyre looks as if it can be adapted to make a couple of useful bow fenders.

We haven't had a tyre right round the prop - yet. I did chop one up going through Nuneaton last year. That made the old Kelvin grunt a bit.

The only thing that ever stopped us was a bright red, silk eveniong dress, size 20, complete with labels - that got wrapped round our prop near Enfield Lock on the Lee. Amazingly strong stuff, that silk, and it was wrapped so tight that I couldn't get a knife under it - so I attacked the mass with a hacksaw. All the time, I was worried that I might discover the remains of whoever had been wearing it . . .

I've had the back seat (of a morris minor) round the prop in the middle of a tunnel. (With interesting sparks as the unsteerable boat hit the wall.)

Found the floating dead body and moored for breakfast 'til the police came. (The body was actually nutting a hire boat where they were all asleep so knew nowt of it tap tap tapping.)

My tyre was on the South Oxford and was wrapped in a tight figure of eight round the prop shaft and all the prop blades. Having just tripped over a mooring bollard hidden in the long grass below the lock due to BW ****s not cutting the lock mooring grass I was not a happy bunny. So I grabbed the tyre with both hands and stretched it off the prop. God knows how this worked as once on the bank it boinged back into tyre shape and even with two feet on the bottom and pulling up with both hands up at the top I could not stretch it. Maybe BW are good for something.

:lol: