Slowing down for moored boats

Steve3

Featured Posts

This thread was started by a very new forum member, who asked a serious and responsible question about navigation rules and protocol, and the first few responses addressed that issue.

Unfortunately the same dreary handful of people, with oversized egos, have once again hi-jacked the thread with their boring "mine is bigger than yours" postings, which have rapidly degeneratyed into name calling and insult. And whilst some people have valiantly attempted to bring the discussion back on topic, the "egos" keep dragging the subject down again.

I note that Steve has chosen not to make any further comments, in fact he appears to have stopped posting all together since the slanging started. How many other new members are goung to be put off by the selfish and irresponsible attitude being portrayed by this selfish minority?

Edited by David Schweizer

The most committed troll I have ever seen. No other troll has ever been so dedicated to their cause. And that has to be admired and respected. I for one applaud your endeavors. ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Any boat found not navigating on the River Thames without due care and attention could be prosecuted under section 97. Recent actions by one boater found himself in court and recieving a large fine"

Yes - doing 30mph in a seagoing powerboat. Arrested by a policeman in a patrol car who happened to be driving by the river. What are the chances of that happening!

You will suprised, how often they are either warned formally cautioned or taken to court. As now warranted officers on patrol launches can use speed guns to do speed checks on passing boats and action can be taken against anyone found breaching section 97 or the speed limit.

You will suprised, how often they are either warned formally cautioned or taken to court. As now warranted officers on patrol launches can use speed guns to do speed checks on passing boats and action can be taken against anyone found breaching section 97 or the speed limit.

As speed guns are inaccurate on the road i cant see how they would work on water.

For what it's worth, I slow down to around 800rpm in plenty of time, chug past slowly and make polite conversation if need be and when a suitable distance past moored boats, increase my revs and off I go ...smuggly in the thought that I've been polite and courteous to my fellow boaters. When I see hire craft hurtling towards me at ramming speed, I politely move aside..even letting them thru bridges when it's clearly my turn....

My only opportunity to vent is when other experienced boaters, usually of the shiney variety, thunder past inches from my side hatch...I have to confess that a sarcastic comment about water skiing or similar may occasionally be heard....

Life's too short to get worked up....isn't it?

For what it's worth, I slow down to around 800rpm in plenty of time, chug past slowly and make polite conversation if need be and when a suitable distance past moored boats, increase my revs and off I go ...smuggly in the thought that I've been polite and courteous to my fellow boaters. When I see hire craft hurtling towards me at ramming speed, I politely move aside..even letting them thru bridges when it's clearly my turn....

My only opportunity to vent is when other experienced boaters, usually of the shiney variety, thunder past inches from my side hatch...I have to confess that a sarcastic comment about water skiing or similar may occasionally be heard....

My feelings exactly. :lol:

My feelings exactly. :lol:

But, when it's the same shiney boat week after week full of shiney people wearing those silly captains hats and talking loudly in an accent that's just too south of Watford Gap.... with lovely crystal decanters on display through glazed cratch covers....those delightful lace curtains that never seem to attract mildew...and painted in such high lustre paint as to repel any muck n grime... thundering past your well moored, low drafted, heavy Hudson build boat making your beer wobble...you do occasionally conspire wicked and cruel ways of exacting revenge.....

1. Chaining their tiller to the marina pontoon.

2. Throw something extremely smelly out of your side hatch at the exact moment they thunder past saying 'Oooopsy' in a loud voice!

3. Wink at the skipper's wife and say "same time again tonight darling?!?!?"

your thoughts!

This thread was started by a very new forum member, who asked a serious and responsible question about navigation rules and protocol, and the first few responses addressed that issue.

Unfortunately the same dreary handful of people, with oversized egos, have once again hi-jacked the thread with their boring "mine is bigger than yours" postings, which have rapidly degeneratyed into name calling and insult. And whilst some people have valiantly attempted to bring the discussion back on topic, the "egos" keep dragging the subject down again.

I note that Steve has chosen not to make any further comments, in fact he appears to have stopped posting all together since the slanging started. How many other new members are goung to be put off by the selfish and irresponsible attitude being portrayed by this selfish minority?

Am I daft? or just a dying bread.

Basically this has been done to death in many previous threads....

Nut the answers are....

Maybe the first answer gives a clue as to why it was asked , clearly the info asked for is already on the forum and if the op had read it he would know what fun asking about it again would bring ,so he asked.

no one is bleeding , no bones are broken , the cry babies come out to play but run away ,all is well relax dear calm down.

I have two moorings. both of the are 'on-line'. One of them is beside a lock so passing boats have no choice but to slow down. The other has constant traffic including big commercial boats operating up till about 11 at night., none of which ever slows down. My boat is constantly rocked about. I do not ever lean out the side hatch and moan, because I am welcome to f*** off back to my other mooring if I don't like it!

My suggestion to anyone who is bothered by passing boats; get off the waterways, or at very least get yourself a mooring that doesn't have passing traffic.

I have two moorings. both of the are 'on-line'. One of them is beside a lock so passing boats have no choice but to slow down. The other has constant traffic including big commercial boats operating up till about 11 at night., none of which ever slows down. My boat is constantly rocked about. I do not ever lean out the side hatch and moan, because I am welcome to f*** off back to my other mooring if I don't like it!

My suggestion to anyone who is bothered by passing boats; get off the waterways, or at very least get yourself a mooring that doesn't have passing traffic.

Someone speaks sense :lol:

But, when it's the same shiney boat week after week full of shiney people wearing those silly captains hats and talking loudly in an accent that's just too south of Watford Gap.... with lovely crystal decanters on display through glazed cratch covers....those delightful lace curtains that never seem to attract mildew...and painted in such high lustre paint as to repel any muck n grime... thundering past your well moored, low drafted, heavy Hudson build boat making your beer wobble...you do occasionally conspire wicked and cruel ways of exacting revenge.....

1. Chaining their tiller to the marina pontoon.

2. Throw something extremely smelly out of your side hatch at the exact moment they thunder past saying 'Oooopsy' in a loud voice!

3. Wink at the skipper's wife and say "same time again tonight darling?!?!?"

your thoughts!

I like the idea of green food colouring in the water tank. Obviously you'd have to wait till they're moored up.

But, when it's the same shiney boat week after week full of shiney people wearing those silly captains hats and talking loudly in an accent that's just too south of Watford Gap.... with lovely crystal decanters on display through glazed cratch covers.

Come on come on - let's have a name!

"My only opportunity to vent is when other experienced boaters, usually of the shiney variety, thunder past inches from my side hatch...I have to confess that a sarcastic comment about water skiing or similar may occasionally be heard...."

Oi I have a shiny boat but I dont wear a captains hat or have decanters - prefer to drink out of a plastic wine glass.

I think maybe, hopfeully you mean the hireboaters who come past our moorings as well every weekend. Luckily the hire boats are only for day trips so are so titchy you do no harm, usually populated by groups of lads sporting pirate hats and scarves - or girls with pink tshirts on. They all pass in the morning politely greeting you, come back later that day, heading usually straight for our boat because someone has forgotten to steer and if the Much Beloved is very lucky, pink tshirts have been abaondoned.

But hey, they keep the canals alive - if some posters are to be beleived we are all old and boring so maybe we need to be livened up a bit -they dont bother me, just the old tatty wooden ones that make the place look so untidy and unshiny ....ooops :lol:

Edited by kiki

Speed guns are accurate, as they are calibrated and as long as they are used right, are presentable as evidence in court.

I have seen BW using them on the Gloucester and Sharpness when we went to Saul Festival a few years ago.

Brian

Good one.

Brian

"My only opportunity to vent is when other experienced boaters, usually of the shiney variety, thunder past inches from my side hatch...I have to confess that a sarcastic comment about water skiing or similar may occasionally be heard...."

Oi I have a shiny boat but I dont wear a captains hat or have decanters - prefer to drink out of a plastic wine glass.

I think maybe, hopfeully you mean the hireboaters who come past our moorings as well every weekend. Luckily the hire boats are only for day trips so are so titchy you do no harm, usually populated by groups of lads sporting pirate hats and scarves - or girls with pink tshirts on. They all pass in the morning politely greeting you, come back later that day, heading usually straight for our boat because someone has forgotten to steer and if the Much Beloved is very lucky, pink tshirts have been abaondoned.

But hey, they keep the canals alive - if some posters are to be beleived we are all old and boring so maybe we need to be livened up a bit -they dont bother me, just the old tatty wooden ones that make the place look so untidy and unshiny ....ooops :lol:

Nah - hireboaters are the nicest of folk ususally....The shiny folk are those who only seem to take their floating gin palace out of the marina once a year...and expect everyone to move out of the way!

I can't wait for my new paint job so I can join the ranks of shiny boaters....I'll miss the scuffed rusty bits!

Nah - hireboaters are the nicest of folk ususally....The shiny folk are those who only seem to take their floating gin palace out of the marina once a year...and expect everyone to move out of the way!

I can't wait for my new paint job so I can join the ranks of shiny boaters....I'll miss the scuffed rusty bits!

Oh well thats not me then, mine's a floating wine bar - and its not in a marina, so there :lol: we had a brand new shiny paint job last year that got destroyed the first time we went out - that bloody low bridge again - still no point in being precious is there.

Welcome to the ranks

It takes all sorts.

If the floating "gin palaces" who only go out of the marina once a year, were not there you would all have to pay more for the upkeep of the waterways.

It takes all sorts.

If the floating "gin palaces" who only go out of the marina once a year, were not there you would all have to pay more for the upkeep of the waterways.

It takes all sorts indeed....it's their attitude on their annual day out...

No matter - life's too short to loose any sleep over it!

Now where's my needle - gotta sew up son number 3's pockets on his black trousers - tap exam in an hour and he's always got his hands tucked away!

Step ball change..step ball change!!!!!

It takes all sorts.

Ah how true girlfriend !!

I don't even know how "floating gin palace" comes to be a term of disparagement, though. All those words are considered jolly nice on their own. Wouldn't a "sinking, alcohol-free bustee" be worse?

It's a term I picked up from the 'ex-pats' who used to moor up their huge palacial motor launches in the marina just outside Athens where we used to keep our 36 footer...Not meant particularly as an abusive term...all the 'ex pats' used to visit each others craft for drinkies between 4.00pm and 8.00pm before returning to their craft for dinner!

There was also a bit of 'throwing keys into a bowl' as well but I never got invited around to those sorts of drinking sessions!

It's a term I picked up from the 'ex-pats' who used to moor up their huge palacial motor launches in the marina just outside Athens where we used to keep our 36 footer...Not meant particularly as an abusive term...all the 'ex pats' used to visit each others craft for drinkies between 4.00pm and 8.00pm before returning to their craft for dinner!

There was also a bit of 'throwing keys into a bowl' as well but I never got invited around to those sorts of drinking sessions!

We visit each others boats for drinkies!!!!!!!!!!

None of the keys in bowl behaviour though :lol: