REMOTE CASSETTE TOILET

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:lol: Hi All

This spring will c me at last removing the most useless bit of kit ever fitted to a boat, yes the stupid space taking time consuming Pump out tank.

I have had porta pottis they r great I have also in the past had the good old c200 cassette also very good.

My question is has anyone out there got fitted or used the porcelain type bog with the remote vacuum flushed cassette ? I would like to hear reports please GOOD or Bad of ur experience. Yes they r very expensive but that is not my main concern, more worried about reliability etc.

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Regards

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

:lol: Hi All

This spring will c me at last removing the most useless bit of kit ever fitted to a boat, yes the stupid space taking time consuming Pump out tank.

I have had porta pottis they r great I have also in the past had the good old c200 cassette also very good.

My question is has anyone out there got fitted or used the porcelain type bog with the remote vacuum flushed tank ? I would like to hear reports please GOOD or Bad of ur experience. Yes they r very expensive but that is not my main concern, more worried about reliability etc.

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Regards

Tim

I'm pretty sure my Brother Blackdog has worked out a way of using a standard porcelain loo using a vaccum flush or emaciator of the like supplied, but this will empty into a holding tank. He's an engineer though so haven't a clue how he's doing this. He hasn't been on here for a while, but i'll mention it to him on Monday.

Where does the waste go if you don't have a holding tank though :lol:

I'm pretty sure my Brother Blackdog has worked out a way of using a standard porcelain loo using a vaccum flush or emaciator of the like supplied, but this will empty into a holding tank. He's an engineer though so haven't a clue how he's doing this. He hasn't been on here for a while, but i'll mention it to him on Monday.

Where does the waste go if you don't have a holding tank though :lol:

Yes I need to change a word on my request from Tank to cassette !!

Yep. I've got a Vacuflush one from Leesan and only had the one blockage. The cassettes are easy to swap, and are not too difficult to carry when full. Bit of a noise when pumping, but only lasts a few seconds.

I'd recommend keeping a spare cassette cap, though, just incase you accidentally (as, ah-hem, I did) drop one down the disposal point ...

My question is has anyone out there got fitted or used the porcelain type bog with the remote vacuum flushed tank ?

If you want this because of the porcelain bowl, (ladies seem to like this, for some reason) then it might be worth thinking about the Thetford C250, which looks like an updated C200 and has a pottery bowl option. The Thetford website implies that they only supply them to caravan and camper OEMs for the time being. I don't know when that will change, or if it's possible to get hold of one retail somewhere else.

Dometic do a cassete-under pottery bowl affair too, but that won't fit in the space we have, so I've not researched further.

MP. (Who has a porta-potti at the moment, is firmly in the cassette camp, but is looking to upgrade to something built-in so he doesn't have to fill a water tank.)

The vacuum to remote cassette toilet has worked perfectly for us. The macerator has coped with everything it's been asked to so far. You definitely need a spare cassette. Remember that it won't work when your battery is flat. With a family of five I find it needs emptying rather frequently. Having said that it costs nothing to empty, so I'm pleased at that.

Unlike just about any other piece of on-board equipment, there seem to be two distinct camps on this one.

Some people think they are wonderful, (which seems to be the majority view this time around), others think they are, (ahem), a heap of s**t.

I considered them, but was put off by....

1) Cost.

2) The quoted volume of a minimum flush, which if true would fill cassettes far faster than I could cope with, (but others have said they use less).

3) Stories of repeated failures of expensive O-rings, (perhaps they have sorted this on later models ?).

4) People who said they don't put soiled paper in them, to avoid blockages, and put it in a bin beside the loo instead, ( :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Fortunately I was able to just squeeze in a Thetford cassette, and am very glad I could.

What's the obsession with 'china' bowls, for God's sake ? :lol:

Alan,

Oh, and I was also totally unimpressed by Leesan's total inability to respond to any request for information. I felt that if they couldn't be arsed to do anything when I was a potential customer, they would not be much use if I ended up as an actual customer with a problem purchase.

What's the obsession with 'china' bowls, for God's sake ?

I think my brother fancies one of these old antique Royal doulton type loos with warmly wooden seat. His boat is of a more traditional lay out, mid engined and original boatmans cabin replicated in the stern.

Different strokes etc :lol:

We have a Vacuflush cassette system on Joanie M.

Yes, you need a spare cap as you will eventually drop it down the hole, although so far I've always managed to recover it.

Don't use Vaseline on the O rings as it b*****s them, use silicone grease.

Ours will last 2 people 2 days. If you keep the flush lever down for the length of time they say, the cassettes will fill quicker.

If our son visits we make sure we are near a sanitary station as he can fill a cassette on his own in a day!

The seal at the bottom of the bowl needs to be cleaned fairly often (every 2 weeks or so) and I also smear some silicone grease around it.

On the one occasion it has blocked, a quick poke through the hole soon had it moving again.

The O ring on the inlet to the tank is not replaceable. If the O ring gets damaged, as one of ours was, you need to replace the complete cassette at a current cost of about £140. To give Leesan their due, when I complained they came to St. Ives, agreed it was a fault and gave us a new cassette. They even let us keep the cap from the old one as a spare.

Only thing we didn't like was the toilet seat that came with it. It is compressed wood sprayed white and it rubs off the edges. After 2 replacements FOC we gave up a bought a nice warm solid white plastic one from a bathroom store. You have to hunt a bit due to the slightly smaller size.

Unlike just about any other piece of on-board equipment, there seem to be two distinct camps on this one.

Some people think they are wonderful, (which seems to be the majority view this time around), others think they are, (ahem), a heap of s**t.

1) Cost.

2) The quoted volume of a minimum flush, which if true would fill cassettes far faster than I could cope with, (but others have said they use less).

3) Stories of repeated failures of expensive O-rings, (perhaps they have sorted this on later models ?).

4) People who said they don't put soiled paper in them, to avoid blockages, and put it in a bin beside the loo instead, ( :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Fortunately I was able to just squeeze in a Thetford cassette, and am very glad I could.

What's the obsession with 'china' bowls, for God's sake ? :lol:

Alan,

Oh, and I was also totally unimpressed by Leesan's total inability to respond to any request for information. I felt that if they couldn't be arsed to do anything when I was a potential customer, they would not be much use if I ended up as an actual customer with a problem purchase.

Speaking from my own expeience i have always found the staff at LEESAN extremely helpful

Steve

Don't do it!

2) The quoted volume of a minimum flush, which if true would fill cassettes far faster than I could cope with

3) Stories of repeated failures of expensive O-rings,

4) People who said they don't put soiled paper in them, to avoid blockages, and put it in a bin beside the loo instead,

Good job they're maintenance free :lol:

Yes, you need a spare cap as you will eventually drop it down the hole, although so far I've always managed to recover it.

Don't use Vaseline on the O rings as it b*****s them, use silicone grease.

Ours will last 2 people 2 days. If you keep the flush lever down for the length of time they say, the cassettes will fill quicker.

The seal at the bottom of the bowl needs to be cleaned fairly often (every 2 weeks or so) and I also smear some silicone grease around it.

On the one occasion it has blocked, a quick poke through the hole soon had it moving again.

The O ring on the inlet to the tank is not replaceable. If the O ring gets damaged, as one of ours was, you need to replace the complete cassette at a current cost of about £140.

My good old dump through seems tame by comparison. I don't know how you chaps and chapesess manage. Pump-out every 4-6 weeks - yes please :lol:

1) Cost.

I've had a Vacuflush cassette for the last 3 years and I'm very pleased with it although LeeSan the suppliers don't recommend it for liveaboards. I live alone so it's been very good.

In fact the minimum flush volume is very small - mine uses about 0.1-0.2 litres of water unless I choose to put more water in the bowl. I haven't had any failures of o-rings (yet!). I think I'm the only person on this forum who said I wouldn't put paper down my toilet but I would also follow the same practice if I had a Thetford or any other kind of toilet on a boat. LeeSan the suppliers recommend a special thin toilet paper and I can't be bothered with that.

For anyone who can't handle putting toilet paper in a bin lined with a plastic bag rather than down their toilet, don't travel to rural parts of Asia, S. America, Africa or even parts of Eastern Europe or you may force your unfortunate host to unblock the toilet.

The O ring on the inlet to the tank is not replaceable. If the O ring gets damaged, as one of ours was, you need to replace the complete cassette at a current cost of about £140. To give Leesan their due, when I complained they came to St. Ives, agreed it was a fault and gave us a new cassette. They even let us keep the cap from the old one as a spare.

I have bought these o-rings for about a fiver (though never used them). I don't know why you were told they are not replaceable?

If the o-rings on the cap of the cassette break, Leesan will tell you that you need to buy a new cap. However I just smeared some Marineflex (PU sealant) into the recess on the inside of the cap, let it go off overnight, and it's as good as new.

Pump -out every 4-6 weeks - yes please :lol:

No thanks

After reading this toilet debate and other toilet related posts recently it's clear that our decision to go for a composting loo was the right one for us. At the end of the day human waste has to be removed from a boat. I just couldn't be arsed with traipsing up the cut every few days with a porto potty full of sh1t & pee, life,s just too short :lol: Pump out would have been a second choice as it seems far more efficient and user friendly than porto but then there's costs in emptying if chose to be done properly and again time involved when emptying. The space issue with holding tanks IMO is negligible, these can be tucked away cunningly, however carrying around 10's of gallons of human waste doesn't appeal, especially as leakage or overspill would be a total nightmare, I've seen a boat in Keynsham that this happened to, and it's not pretty as well as being putrid. Then there's all the additional equipment such as vaccum and maciators and all the fitting hassel, and now it comes to light these mechanical gadgets being just that can break down and fail and costly to put right, and worse some you can't put loo roll in and have to use a waste paper bin it appears :lol:

Our compost loo will need emptying every 4 to 6 months. There is a liquid overflow that empties into a cannister under the floor and may need emptying periodically, usually following heavy use of the toilet, if the liquid waste doesnt evaporate quick enough, normally happens when you have guests using the loo in a short space of time. For just me and lynn though it rarily overflows, but does need checking regularily to see if it needs emptying. But basically that's it's only drawback. Emptying the compost takes about 15 minutes and it can be put safely on to a garden or or sprinkled on scrubland where people don't walk of course. There are things you can do to speed up the composting and evaporation process by adding a fan and we have a heating coil below the unit to keep the loo warm in the winter that operates automatically when the heating is on.

People have a misconseption that compost loos smell. They don't unless mis used. Infact due to the constant draw of air through the toilet, a morning visit after 10 pints of real ale and a curry, no one would notice following you in to the loo, as any smells are drawn out through the chimney. Fellow boaters might get a whiff though if moored closely :lol:

Another bonus is bathroom always smells fresh due to the loo's ventilation.

Possible downfalls.

It doesn't look like a conventional toilet, and it's quite a lot bigger.

Possible periodic emptying of liquid waste.

You do have to add a handful of coarse sawdust and or occasional peatmoss to keet the composting efficient after each use, we have a small bin we put the mix in and just empty a scoopfull into the loo after use. But it loves loo roll which helps the composting process.

The loos also require a chimney to operate but once all is fitted it'e basically maintenance free.

They're initially around a grand, more if you have the heater and fans fitted, but will save you money in the long term. After weighing up the pro's and con's this was an obvoius choice especially for just 2 persons.

Possible downfalls.

You do have to add a handful of coarse sawdust and or occasional peatmoss to keet the composting efficient after each use, we have a small bin we put the mix in and just empty a scoopfull into the loo after use. But it loves loo roll which helps the composting process.

The loos also require a chimney to operate but once all is fitted it'e basically maintenance free.

They're initially around a grand, more if you have the heater and fans fitted, but will save you money in the long term. After weighing up the pro's and con's this was an obvoius choice especially for just 2 persons.

I thought they required a continuous fan in the chimney? If so, that continuous power draw would seem to be be a major disadvantage to me. Also from what I'd heard the compost required regular stirring & maintenence. I'm glad you've found it to be a good investment. One user on the forum gave the composting loo a very bad review - enough to put me off.

Edited by blackrose

I thought they required a continuous fan in the chimney? If so, that continuous power draw would seem to be be a major disadvantage to me. Also from what I'd heard the compost required regular stirring & maintenence. I'm glad you've found it to be a good investment. One user on the forum gave the composting loo a very bad review - enough to put me off.

The fan doesn't have to run continuously if it's quite breezy outside you don't neet it on and it's only 0.2 amp I think same as a comp cooling fan.

Copmost needs turning every 4 to six weeks, this involves turning a handle 6 times that rotates the drum, not really maintenance, takes 10 about seconds.

I'm surprised it had a bad review, everyone i know or have spoken to have been well pleased with them, there are 2 makes that following my research I consider the best. The sun-mar and envirolet. There are more recent ones that have come out that separate the liquid waste from the solids and the liquid needs emptying regularily with just a 2 or 3 litre recepticle much the same as a porto potty which IMO defeats the object really LOL you just as well fill a porto potty and have a few lumps in it :lol:

Be interesting to know the make they weren't happy with.

QUOTE (pearley @ Feb 9 2009, 04:59 PM) *

I have bought these o-rings for about a fiver (though never used them). I don't know why you were told they are not replaceable?

If the o-rings on the cap of the cassette break, Leesan will tell you that you need to buy a new cap. However I just smeared some Marineflex (PU sealant) into the recess on the inside of the cap, let it go off overnight, and it's as good as new.

I'm not talking about the O rings on the docking station but the one in the inlet valve on the cassette itself. You can remove the valve by undoing the 6 bolts but the O ring itself sits inside a sealed tube. I thought of cutting the end off to get at it but how to reseal it afterwards given that it has a dirty great spring inside?

Unless you know different?

The fan doesn't have to run continuously if it's quite breezy outside you don't neet it on and it's only 0.2 amp I think same as a comp cooling fan.

Copmost needs turning every 4 to six weeks, this involves turning a handle 6 times that rotates the drum, not really maintenance, takes 10 about seconds.

I'm surprised it had a bad review, everyone i know or have spoken to have been well pleased with them, there are 2 makes that following my research I consider the best. The sun-mar and envirolet. There are more recent ones that have come out that separate the liquid waste from the solids and the liquid needs emptying regularily with just a 2 or 3 litre recepticle much the same as a porto potty which IMO defeats the object really LOL you just as well fill a porto potty and have a few lumps in it :lol:

Be interesting to know the make they weren't happy with.

I can't remember. It was about a year ago. The envirolet rings a bell... but I think the amount of liquid was the issue they had.

Can you burn the compost you produce - like they burn cow dung for fuel in Asia? I heard about a high tech RV composting toilet that produced fuel pellets. I'm not sure what happened to that?

Edited by blackrose

I can't remember. It was about a year ago. The envirolet rings a bell... but I think the amount of liquid was the issue they had.

Can you burn the compost you produce - like they burn cow dung for fuel in Asia? I heard about a high tech RV composting toilet that produced fuel pellets. I'm not sure what happened to that?

I haven't heard of that, sounds very interesting though. If I had I would have one and a wood burning stove LOL

You could probably burn our compost though as it's all organic and therefor should burn. Not going to test that theory out in our diesel bubble stove though :lol:

:lol:

After reading this toilet debate and other toilet related posts recently it's clear that our decision to go for a composting loo was the right one for us. At the end of the day human waste has to be removed from a boat. I just couldn't be arsed with traipsing up the cut every few days with a porto potty full of sh1t & pee, life,s just too short :lol: Pump out would have been a second choice as it seems far more efficient and user friendly than porto but then there's costs in emptying if chose to be done properly and again time involved when emptying. The space issue with holding tanks IMO is negligible, these can be tucked away cunningly, however carrying around 10's of gallons of human waste doesn't appeal, especially as leakage or overspill would be a total nightmare, I've seen a boat in Keynsham that this happened to, and it's not pretty as well as being putrid. Then there's all the additional equipment such as vaccum and maciators and all the fitting hassel, and now it comes to light these mechanical gadgets being just that can break down and fail and costly to put right, and worse some you can't put loo roll in and have to use a waste paper bin it appears :lol:

Our compost loo will need emptying every 4 to 6 months. There is a liquid overflow that empties into a cannister under the floor and may need emptying periodically, usually following heavy use of the toilet, if the liquid waste doesnt evaporate quick enough, normally happens when you have guests using the loo in a short space of time. For just me and lynn though it rarily overflows, but does need checking regularily to see if it needs emptying. But basically that's it's only drawback. Emptying the compost takes about 15 minutes and it can be put safely on to a garden or or sprinkled on scrubland where people don't walk of course. There are things you can do to speed up the composting and evaporation process by adding a fan and we have a heating coil below the unit to keep the loo warm in the winter that operates automatically when the heating is on.

People have a misconseption that compost loos smell. They don't unless mis used. Infact due to the constant draw of air through the toilet, a morning visit after 10 pints of real ale and a curry, no one would notice following you in to the loo, as any smells are drawn out through the chimney. Fellow boaters might get a whiff though if moored closely :lol:

Another bonus is bathroom always smells fresh due to the loo's ventilation.

Possible downfalls.

;) Ye Gods

What a load of messing about, it takes about 2 minutes to take out a cassette or bottom of porta bog and chuck it down the elsan.....Job done

Pump out would have been a second choice as it seems far more efficient and user friendly than porto but then there's costs in emptying........

Not questioning your choice of a composting loo - fine for those with the space, and power to drive it....

But I'd be interested how many pump-outs could be paid for from the installation costs of a decent composting loo.

Quite a lot, I'm guessing, although over time I acknowledge you'll break even, then start to gain.

Even when spare cassettes are taken into consideration, a cassette loo is a very economical option compared with the alternatives. A non built-in Porta-Pottie is even cheaper, but I have to say the "installed" cassette option is a huge improvement on the stand-alone item.

:lol:

;) Ye Gods

What a load of messing about, it takes about 2 minutes to take out a cassette or bottom of porta bog and chuck it down the elsan.....Job done

Don't forget the 50 yard walk round the corner with the weight of the poo hanging on your arms. :lol:

I was wondering why your knuckles dragged along the ground :lol::lol: