REMOTE CASSETTE TOILET

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Ye Gods

What a load of messing about, it takes about 2 minutes to take out a cassette or bottom of porta bog and chuck it down the elsan.....Job done

Don't forget you have to navigate your boat to an elsan, stop and moor up to empty, very time consuming considering the amount of times they need emptying. In winter traipsing up a freezing canal cos you can't move the boat, extremely time consuming. Not for me, even if they were supplied FOC but glad you're happy with it :lol:

Not questioning your choice of a composting loo - fine for those with the space, and power to drive it....

A compost loo will take much less space than a pumpuot and all it's equipment, ie tank & pumping unit although the space it needs is required in one place and that's where it sits. Also the loo doesn't require power although I do have a fan fitted whis as stated is very low power. There are units with electric heaters which really speed up the process, ideal if you have a permanant mooring with a 240 supply, then you can go cruising for a good few months without needing emptying.

But I'd be interested how many pump-outs could be paid for from the installation costs of a decent composting loo.

Quite a lot, I'm guessing, although over time I acknowledge you'll break even, then start to gain.

The cost of the pumpout system we could have used was around £600 the installation of that was a lot more difficult than a compost loo, bearing in mind also that your builder will charge for the waste tank when constructed. You then have mechanical equipment waste pipe and all the fitting hassle that will be required for a pump out, especially if the tank is remote from the loo. Compo loo's are around a grand, £400 or so dearer, fitting is simple just a 4" hole in the roof, and 1.5" overflow pipe at the bottom which connects to a cannister for any excess fluid, all the equipment for this is supplied in that price, chimney pipe & cowl, even the starter kit for the composting process. I also fitted my own electric fan in the chimney, all in all I recall it took a couple of hours to fit at most.

I'm not sure how much a pump out is now but 400 would brobably last 3 years in pumpout fees at a guess. In that 3 years though if any of the equipment like vaccum pupms or other mechanically associated equipment breakes down or needs replacing, than that additional cost would need taking into account.

It's horses for courses I suppose, but we did investigate the loo dilemma indepth and the compo loo came out on top for us for cost (long term), low maintenance, reliability, ease of use and sustainability.

Toiletshelves-2.jpg

They would be tight on a narrowboat though, but i know of a few who have them fitted in, just need to plan your b/room size accordingly. The Envirolet loo is bigger in area but much lower, i know a boater with one of these fitted also.

http://envirolet-europe.com/wsc.html

Don't forget you have to navigate your boat to an elsan, stop and moor up to empty, very time consuming considering the amount of times they need emptying. In winter traipsing up a freezing canal cos you can't move the boat, extremely time consuming. Not for me, even if they were supplied FOC but glad you're happy with it :lol:

A compost loo will take much less space than a pumpuot and all it's equipment, ie tank & pumping unit although the space it needs is required in one place and that's where it sits. Also the loo doesn't require power although I do have a fan fitted whis as stated is very low power. There are units with electric heaters which really speed up the process, ideal if you have a permanant mooring with a 240 supply, then you can go cruising for a good few months without needing emptying.

The cost of the pumpout system we could have used was around £600 the installation of that was a lot more difficult than a compost loo, bearing in mind also that your builder will charge for the waste tank when constructed. You then have mechanical equipment waste pipe and all the fitting hassle that will be required for a pump out, especially if the tank is remote from the loo. Compo loo's are around a grand, £400 or so dearer, fitting is simple just a 4" hole in the roof, and 1.5" overflow pipe at the bottom which connects to a cannister for any excess fluid, all the equipment for this is supplied in that price, chimney pipe & cowl, even the starter kit for the composting process. I also fitted my own electric fan in the chimney, all in all I recall it took a couple of hours to fit at most.

I'm not sure how much a pump out is now but 400 would brobably last 3 years in pumpout fees at a guess. In that 3 years though if any of the equipment like vaccum pupms or other mechanically associated equipment breakes down or needs replacing, than that additional cost would need taking into account.

It's horses for courses I suppose, but we did investigate the loo dilemma indepth and the compo loo came out on top for us for cost (long term), low maintenance, reliability, ease of use and sustainability.

Toiletshelves-2.jpg

They would be tight on a narrowboat though, but i know of a few who have them fitted in, just need to plan your b/room size accordingly. The Envirolet loo is bigger in area but much lower, i know a boater with one of these fitted also.

You don't have to spend that sort of money on a pump out. Our loo is a dump through straight to the tank and at first we used a hand pump which attached to the outside pumpout fitting. If the pumpout breaks down we just go to a marina for a pump out, but it has only broken twice in 20yrs.

What are the yellow things for?

Sue

You don't have to spend that sort of money on a pump out. Our loo is a dump through straight to the tank and at first we used a hand pump which attached to the outside pumpout fitting. If the pumpout breaks down we just go to a marina for a pump out, but it has only broken twice in 20yrs.

What are the yellow things for?

Sue

Agreed the system we first looked at would have cost around 600 though but a vacuflush type system as i recall. A dump through does make sence though as it's simple and using less equipment, but just didn't fancy it, then the compo loo came to our attention and we went for that. I will say though I can't remember if the £600 did or didn't include the steel holding tank.

The yellow things are shelves supported mainly by the flu pipe but are also located to the sides. We originally were going to box it in as a cupboard but came up with this idea, looks more spacious and very easy access to things, they also hold a lot of stuff including loo rolls. and less construction work was another bonus LOL

Toiletshelves-2.jpg

:lol: Smart looking chimney but surely the fire looks like plastic does it not melt....... :lol:

Being the proud owner of a Theford 200 C unit I feel eminently qualified to ask when the whole toilet debate becomes an exercise in trolling...

However if we'd've had the cash we'd have gone compo...

Being the proud owner of a Theford 200 C unit I feel eminently qualified to ask when the whole toilet debate becomes an exercise in trolling...

However if we'd've had the cash we'd have gone compo...

Edited by Smelly

Talking about the vacuflush loo, we have had one and used it as live aboards for over a year now. It has been reliable, if a little temperamental; loo paper can sometimes get stuck under the loo valve (Easy to flush again and wipe off), and the cassette to dock seals can sometimes leak, requiring a little wiggle of the cassette to fix. The seals do need cleaning weekly as per instructions, and lubricated with silicone spray (Never oil based products).

Fitting the system requires care, isolation valves for the water and an on/off switch are a good idea.

You can buy the system at a good price from Anglo American Leisure, cassettes are about £70 (You will want two or three)

Hope that helps

Gordon

Talking about the vacuflush loo, we have had one and used it as live aboards for over a year now. It has been reliable, if a little temperamental; loo paper can sometimes get stuck under the loo valve (Easy to flush again and wipe off), and the cassette to dock seals can sometimes leak, requiring a little wiggle of the cassette to fix. The seals do need cleaning weekly as per instructions, and lubricated with silicone spray (Never oil based products).

Fitting the system requires care, isolation valves for the water and an on/off switch are a good idea.

You can buy the system at a good price from Anglo American Leisure, cassettes are about £70 (You will want two or three)

Hope that helps

Gordon

:lol: Thanks Gord good post I will try to find the firm u mention

Regards

Tim

Had my biolet for 10 years without issue empty between 6 and 12 months

definately NO SMELLS

you have to watch the metal "emptying" plate for corrosion - repainted twice now

so....... 10 years cost £1000 new (I bought mine second hand but never used for £100) and

no blue fingers

no pump out charges

cost £1.92 per week or in my case 0.01p per week!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited for spelling

Edited by lymmranger

definately NO SMELLS

you have to watch the metal "emptying" plate for corrosion - repainted twice now

so....... 10 years cost £1000 new (I bought mine second hand but never used for £100) and

no blue fingers

no pump out charges

edited for spelling

Hi lymmranger

Good to know you,ve got some good service from one, I'de be well happy with that.

Btw what make of loo is it ? You mention a metal emptying plate, The sun-mar we have has no corrosive parts, the outer casing is fibreglass and the inner mechanics are very simple, a tough nylon cog system that rotates a drum using a fold away winder located at the front of the loo and all metal used is stainless steel. The finishing tray is plastic and easy to clean.

definately NO SMELLS

no blue fingers

no pump out charges

edited for spelling

Hi lymmranger

Good to know you,ve got some good service from one, I'de be well happy with that.

Btw what make of loo is it ? You mention a metal emptying plate, The sun-mar we have has no corrosive parts, the outer casing is fibreglass and the inner mechanics are very simple, a tough nylon cog system that rotates a drum using a fold away winder located at the front of the loo and all metal used is stainless steel. The finishing tray is plastic and easy to clean.

What's the obsession with 'china' bowls, for God's sake ? :lol:

I don't think it's an obsession Alan, just that porcelain toilet bowls are generally deemed as being superior to plastic in the same way that most people tend to prefer porcelain sinks & baths to plastic ones. I'm sure plastic toilet bowls are perfectly fine, especially if you're not living onboard. However, do you know anyone who has a plastic toilet in their house?

I don't think it's an obsession Alan, just that porcelain toilet bowls are generally deemed as being superior to plastic in the same way that most people tend to prefer porcelain sinks & baths to plastic ones. I'm sure plastic toilet bowls are perfectly fine, especially if you're not living onboard. However, do you know anyone who has a plastic toilet in their house?

Do you know anyone with a dirty great engine in their house? It's a BOAT. Plastic loos are fine

Sue

However, do you know anyone who has a plastic toilet in their house?

In a word, "No"!

But I don't know anybody in a house who has their s**t emptying in to a large tank under their bed either, so perhaps comparing boat loos to domestic loos isn't that valid ?

Do you know anyone with a dirty great engine in their house?

:lol:

Poor guys dead now, but I actually did know someone who had an engine and a motorbike in his house.

The guy was wealthy and liked all things American. He had a sectioned V8 Corvette engine and gearbox in his hall. Every part was cut and the starter turned it slowly to show how it worked. It was beautifully finished in different coloured paints and polished chrome - it was an ex motorshow display and absolutely stunning.

He also had a fully chromed ex display and unused Harley Davidson (also in his entrance hall) he called them conversation pieces. :lol:

Hi lymmranger

Hi lymmranger

Mine is named "Biolet" actually nearer13 years old thinking about it. They are still available (google is your friend)

......It has a metal plate held on with 4 nuts which when removed allow you to empty the tray.

All other parts either stainless steel or plastic

Mine is named "Biolet" actually nearer13 years old thinking about it. They are still available (google is your friend)

......It has a metal plate held on with 4 nuts which when removed allow you to empty the tray.

All other parts either stainless steel or plastic

I did google and found the site, Cheers. I meant to ask what model not what make. Clearly you have an odler model, the newer type do look quite good, better than ours for sure imo. I'm sure when we investigated the compost route we came across Biolet, but for some reason we must have discounted them, I've looked at the blurb again and can't fathom why as they're quite appealing as compost loos go :lol:

Maybe they didn't do the NE back then (Non Electric) and only had the models with the heaters fitted which would have put me off them due to power requirements.

Do you know anyone with a dirty great engine in their house? It's a BOAT. Plastic loos are fine

Sue

Some people's boats are also their homes.

I think I already said that plastic loos are fine - as long as that's what you want of course. Conversely if you don't want a plastic loo then they're not fine at all.

In a word, "No"!

But I don't know anybody in a house who has their s**t emptying in to a large tank under their bed either, so perhaps comparing boat loos to domestic loos isn't that valid ?

It's a perfectly valid comparison if your boat is also your home especially since there are ceramic toilet bowls aimed at the boat market.

I have no axe to grind here and already said that plastic toilets are fine, but I don't accept that the critcism of what is obviously a higher quality product is particularly valid either. Each to their own - I'd rather have a Triumph Trophy 900 than my Honda Deauville 650, but I can't really afford one and don't really need one as my bike does the same job, just not in quite the same style. Nevertheless, I wouldn't criticise anyone who chose to own the Triumph.

Edited by blackrose

I did google and found the site, Cheers. I meant to ask what model not what make. Clearly you have an odler model, the newer type do look quite good, better than ours for sure imo. I'm sure when we investigated the compost route we came across Biolet, but for some reason we must have discounted them, I've looked at the blurb again and can't fathom why as they're quite appealing as compost loos go :lol:

Maybe they didn't do the NE back then (Non Electric) and only had the models with the heaters fitted which would have put me off them due to power requirements.

mine works off 240v ac but I very rarely switch it on - just once a week or so and even then its more to stir it and prevent compaction

.......liquid seems to just evaporate

..........dont forget these were invented for full family use in a house in remote areas of sweden/switzerland etc - boat use very rarely involves similar ....errr ...."input" shall we say :lol: . I did live onboard almost constantly for about 9months and still had no problems

mine works off 240v ac but I very rarely switch it on - just once a week or so and even then its more to stir it and prevent compaction

.......liquid seems to just evaporate

..........dont forget these were invented for full family use in a house in remote areas of sweden/switzerland etc - boat use very rarely involves similar ....errr ...."input" shall we say :lol: . I did live onboard almost constantly for about 9months and still had no problems

Ours is rated for 2 to 3 persons continuous, however it would struggle with the liquid with 3 persons. I rigged a copper coil under the toilet so when the heating is on the loo is warmed up automatically. I also fitted a computer fan at the base of the chimney where it exits the loo to aid evaporation. I could have bougth the with fan, but the additional cost was unwarrented for a simple fan.

I must say though, looking at the Biolet even the NE model, it's nicely designed and seems to do what it says on the tin, I think I missed a trick when reviewing it as if buying a compo loo now I would seriously consider it. They are an ideal loo for those mooring with a 240 supply though, especially if more than 2 persons.

Edited by Julynian