Boat taken, stripped and trashed

vicvdb

Featured Posts

The loo is about twelve years old as far as I know (don't have anything to go on :lol: ) and is attached to a pump out tank at the moment.

It's a seamaster and had new rubber bits about three years ago and works perfectly.

I also have a bundle of fluorescent lights (some good a couple have broken plastic covers) and replacement tubes.

I'm looking to sell a Morco heater too! (with chimney - all about a year old).

I'll post a picture of the inside shortly and you'll get a better idea.

What's amazing is that I managed to give away the tongue and groove :lol:

V

The loo is about twelve years old as far as I know (don't have anything to go on :lol: ) and is attached to a pump out tank at the moment.

It's a seamaster and had new rubber bits about three years ago and works perfectly.

I also have a bundle of fluorescent lights (some good a couple have broken plastic covers) and replacement tubes.

I'm looking to sell a Morco heater too! (with chimney - all about a year old).

I'll post a picture of the inside shortly and you'll get a better idea.

What's amazing is that I managed to give away the tongue and groove :lol:

V

Thank you. I'll pass on taking the loo. Ours are Mansfields and I would have to mess about with the tank top to make it fit

Richard

Boat now completely stripped and bottom inside waxoyled and sealed.

Next step is to relay floor and then start lining it out!

I think it is terrific that you are pressing ahead with the rebuild, and have not given in to the situation with which you were faced.

It's a heartening story that has cheered me up when quite a lot of what gets posted on here tghese days leaves me wondering why I still like the canals so much.

Please keep up the good work, and please keep us updated.

I think it is terrific that you are pressing ahead with the rebuild, and have not given in to the situation with which you were faced.

It's a heartening story that has cheered me up when quite a lot of what gets posted on here tghese days leaves me wondering why I still like the canals so much.

Please keep up the good work, and please keep us updated.

I quite agree, its good to see disaster turned to positive....turning the other cheek always works.... and its also good to read encouragement from folk rather than the usual doom and gloom or biting sarcasm.

I cant help in any way other than practical, if you need a few man/woman hours painting or stripping then PM me and let me know where you are?

Tanis.

• 1 year later...

I am aware that some time has passed on this post but thought I'd bring people up to speed with the boat.

Since the original post she has been cleared, the inside treated and the ballast has been relaid, new windows and floor fitted, battens fitted and waiting for the foam insulation to be applied.

dandy_prep1.jpg

dandy_prep2.jpg

More as we go (if people aren't bored to death by them).

Thanks to those who have contacted me over the past year from this place asking about progress - at last there is some :)

V

And here she is with foam completed and waiting wood for lower lining out so we can finalise and start on the kitchen:

dandy_prep2.jpg

http://www.contakt.co.uk/images/dandy_insul2.jpg

Must make the images smaller for photos going forward from here.

Hope you're not bored to death yet,

V

And here she is with foam completed and waiting wood for lower lining out so we can finalise and start on the kitchen:

dandy_insul1.jpg

dandy_insul2.jpg

Must make the images smaller for photos going forward from here.

Hope you're not bored to death yet,

V

Edited by vicvdb

Vicvdb, not bored to death at all. Please keep your progress reports coming

Richard

Seconded - indeed carry on - I also find these build blog type posts very interesting.

What a brilliant journey

Devastating, but now turned into a positive.

Great read, and looking forward to hearing and seeing progress pics

My opinion if I had your choice, would have been the same to rebuild and refit

Well done and get the boat done!

Col

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

Been lining out with Birch faced ply - lower half of the boat (sides) now completed.

Now it gets harder!

V

lower_lining_1_sml.jpg

lower_lining2_sml.jpg

ps. Used the knotty sheet on left to go behind where covered bit is so won't be seen

Edited by vicvdb

I've got one fitted on the feed to the kitchen sink and the wash basin in the bathroom. Works well and helps stretch the 12 gallon calorifier between 5 people. The shower is fed directly off the tank.

The hot water feed from the tank to the shower and the thermostatic mixer is plumbed in copper, the rest in plastic. The theory is that under worst case conditions the tank could reach temperatures that exceed the max temp of the plastic pipe.

• 1 year later...

Water stopped for a while but now about toi have to bite that bullet.

Inside of boat beginning to look like it used to and the wiring, kitchen and other stuff all sort of on the way now - hopefully out on her in August if I can get the time in.

Thanks for those who send the odd (meaining time - not weird of course) email asking.

The Phoenix will be hatched soon :-)

Vic

• Greenie 1

The current value will be their opinion based on the current market value of similar boats for sale.

You should speak with your insurance company and find out if you can buy the boat off them if they pay out as a total loss.

You can also get an independant survey (loss adjuster) to give you some idea if you think the insurors are taking the pee

Rule one of the insurance world, is take the insured for a ride, and dump on them from a great height. Get yourself a loss adjuster.

Springers were really only the "Liverpool Boats" of their day.

I doubt all Liverpool Boat owners would be happy to have such disparaging remarks made about their boats.

No, we're not happy about the disparaging remarks, including yours Alan! laugh.png

Seriously though, I've heard that one a few times, but having owned a Springer and a Liverpool boat just can't see it. The only similarity is that both builders got a lot of people on the water, but then you could say the same about a number of other budget builders too. Apart from that there's really no comparison between a prefabricated boat with a 3 or 4mm hull to one that's built in more or less the same way as every other canal boat and meets the modern standard spec of 10/6/4 (actually my roof is 5mm).

Although Liverpool boats may have been built to a budget, that budget was only marginally less than the likes of Colecraft, etc. I've worked on one of those and I can tell you they're not all they're cracked up to be. The worst thing about my boat was that they didn't apply enough sprayfoam, but I've seen worse on a Tim Tyler sailaway!

The bottom line is that Liverpool boats are far from being the Springers of their day - in fact there's really no comparison.

Edited by blackrose

The bottom line is that Liverpool boats are far from being the Springers of their day - in fact there's really no comparison.

Agreed. When New Boat Company used to sell three LB boats a week from their office at Thames and Kennet Marina in Reading, they used to employ me to carry out a gas safety check on all the boats prior to customer handover. Of all the boats I tested I NEVER found one that didn't leak gas like a sieve and have multiple gas system design faults. It was almost a full time job fixing all the problems.

Given their appalling attitude to gas safety (and all the other non-gas post-delivery problems I saw NBC also struggling with) I am reasonably sure their quality control wasn't much different in other areas such as electrical, carpentry etc.

I can't imagine Sam Springer sending his boats out like this, even if their hull structure was good like you say.

MtB

I feel as though I'm in a Tardis. Dandelion's Vicar came on today to post an update of his rebuilding of the boat and that he's about to go out on it.

Excepting my post in response to his, there have then been four posts which continued a discussion about Springers and about insurance. But two years have gone by - did nobody notice or are the Forum dates gone to pot???........wacko.png