Boat taken, stripped and trashed

vicvdb

Featured Posts

It's been two working weeks since we notified the insurers and yet haven't had a visit from the assessor yet.

Sadder still is that even though I've visited the houses where our boat was left for a couple of nights before vanishing (presumably to the place we found it) no one saw anything or anyone. Mind you, seems that I'm the only one doing the searching and asking questions as it seems to have stopped with a crime number as far as the local constabulary are concerned.

Frustrating to put it mildly,

V

Edited by vicvdb

It's been two working weeks since we notified the insurers and yet haven't had a visit from the assessor yet.

Sadder still is that even though I've visited the houses where our boat was left for a couple of nights before vanishing (presumably to the place we found it) no one saw anything or anyone. Mind you, seems that I'm the only one doing the searching and asking questions as it seems to have stopped with a crime number as far as the local constabulary are concerned.

Frustrating to put it mildly,

V

Par for the coarse nowadays it seems, if it's difficult to solve then it won't help reach the targets.

Your insurance company should be a bit quicker off the mark though, 2 weeks is unacceptable, I would have been on the phone within 3 days on no visit.

Hope you get a resolution soon Vic

Many (most?) insurers do, but not all. How do you think the owners of wooden workboats get licences?

By having the boat surveyed every couple of years by someone who knows about wooden boats, and does not dismiss them as rotting hulks just because they are wooden. Also , it helps if owners keep up with the maintenance- much the same as any boat.

Bill

Also , it helps if owners keep up with the maintenance- much the same as any boat.

The majority of wooden narrowboats are acquired requiring more than "routine maintenance"

There are also very few surveyors, inland, who are competent to survey a wooden boat. Fortunately most of them tell you that, though.

The majority of wooden narrowboats are acquired requiring more than "routine maintenance"

Agreed. But then it is up to the acquirer(s) to improve the boat , usually over a long period, not to let it return to the soil.

There are also very few surveyors, inland, who are competent to survey a wooden boat. Fortunately most of them tell you that, though.

Agreed, but when you find a competent one , look after them and he/she will serve you well. Ours has been honest and fair these 35years past.Not cheap , but then no part of tending wooden boats is cheap as you well know and I'm not just talking ££££s .

I'll shut up now, the threads drifting,sorry.

Bill

I know mine are only small, but I have two wooden boats, both of which are insured, and neither have ever had a survey or ever even a Boat Safety Certificate. Even the Dawncraft my wife used to own never had a survey and was quite easy to get insured; but it did have a BSC.

Sorry to divert the discussion away from wooden hulls but I thought I'd add a quick update. :lol:

I have been contacted by a bloke who sounds like he knows what he's doing (as I have to say has the nice lady at my brokers) and he's coming to visit the boat shortly.

I have found someone who will give me a quote and the family are leaning (so is the boat at the moment - I assume it's water in the main cabin area :lol: ) towards keeping our old boat if it is at all possible.

More as it comes to light,

V

Edited by vicvdb

Sorry to divert the discussion away from wooden hulls but I thought I'd add a quick update. :lol:

I have been contacted by a bloke who sounds like he knows what he's doing (as I have to say has the nice lady at my brokers) and he's coming to visit the boat shortly.

I have found someone who will give me a quote and the family are leaning (so is the boat at the moment - I assume it's water in the main cabin area :lol: ) towards keeping our old boat if it is at all possible.

More as it comes to light,

V

If it is water you want to get it out if you are keeping the boat, or the remaining wood/carpets etc could be ruined.

It may be if they've taken that many bits that the weight distribution has shifted, ie loads of galley/engine bits gone from one side and the boat originally ballasted to take that in to account. You may find when you refit that you have to re-balance.

You may end up with quite a spectacular boat. If you can persuade your insurers and you really do want to keep the boat, then if you can show it's cheaper for them to refit; then the big stuff will get paid for by them, ie kitchen, gas, engine, electrics etc; and you may end up just doing the finishing bits.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go anyway; hope you are back on the water soon.

• 3 weeks later...

So sorry to hear about your bad experience....slightly off topic but on topic.....

We had a hull survey of our 25 year old 70' widebeam Springer done recently. Surveyor thinks she built with 6 ml steel. She averaged 5.1ml......

I can live with 0.9ml loss over 25 years thanks.

Springers have a bad reputation that isn't always justified. My boat proves that.

So sorry to hear about your bad experience....slightly off topic but on topic.....

We had a hull survey of our 25 year old 70' widebeam Springer done recently. Surveyor thinks she built with 6 ml steel. She averaged 5.1ml......

I can live with 0.9ml loss over 25 years thanks.

Springers have a bad reputation that isn't always justified. My boat proves that.

Indeed if they were as bad as some make out there wouldn't be so many around now. Although I guess it is not always the average plate thickness you need to worry about it is the minimum i.e. how thin is it at the thinest/weakest point because even if everywhere else is fine perhaps a small patch may soon be about to hole and let in water.

When our boat was surveyed last year we found the main part of the boat was pretty good indeed.

We did however need to have the area under the engine compartment over-plated though.

They seemed to think we were good for some time yet.

Wonder how many of the other makes will fare so well at the same age?

Thanks,

V

in my eyes just about everyboat is beautifull,i can see the attraction in all boats from Narrowboats to sailing vessels.

If my boat had been stollen and it was one that had a great many memories wrapped up in it,id be compelled to fix her,especially is i knew that she was structurley sound

do people in larger more expensive boats think that they are getting more enjoyment out of boating than the guy with the less expensive boat?

Vic i wish you well with your boat,for me also there is a spiritual side of life that i get when boating.

• 1 month later...

Just an update.

We've been offered the insured value less £2,500 for the salvaged vessel.

Now we need to learn how to refit her - should be an interesting journey ;-)

Thanks for the kind replies and thoughts,

V

Just an update.

V

Very good luck with the refit. A steep but very satisfying learning curve.

• 3 months later...
Just an update.

V

Hi, I was thinking about this thread last night and wondered what has happend since... how the re fit's going?

Best wishes,

Kate

• 5 weeks later...

Boat now completely stripped and bottom inside waxoyled and sealed.

Next step is to relay floor and then start lining it out!

Thanks for asking - will come back with photos as work progresses,

V

ps. Anyone want a pump out loo? collect and it's yours!

Boat now completely stripped and bottom inside waxoyled and sealed.

Next step is to relay floor and then start lining it out!

Thanks for asking - will come back with photos as work progresses,

V

ps. Anyone want a pump out loo? collect and it's yours!

I know about gift horses, but how old is this loo?

Richard