Marina or online

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Another disguntled local who wasnt allowed in?

How can it be bleak? The place is stunning. Surrounded by countryside, close to Lincoln, new moorings and facilities.

If you want bleak look at Torksey Lock.

I just don't like the look of it - sorry. not really my sort of thing. Much like Brighton Marina isn't somewhere I would say was stunning. You like it, you moor there and that's good. I don't like it.

On the contrary

So why else would you have an issue with a marina.

The picture is of the marina we would probably have to moor in in Macclesfield. I didn't say I liked it, just that I prefered it to one that looks like yours. As we don't drive, a marina in town is our only option. But it would only be somewhere to leave the boat when we weren't aboard. I'd rather have an online mooring, but I doubt there will be many of those available by the time we could afford to buy a boat.

Why would you prefer online. The security issue puts us off for one, people cruising past you constantly lack of facilities.

Why would you prefer online. . . . people cruising past you..

Funnily enough, that’s one of the things I like most by being online: saying hello to passing boats. When I was in the marina, by the time I’d walked round to investigate an interesting sounding boat, it had chugged off down the cut. For example, I wouldn’t otherwise have met a group of “idle women” on board Hyperion a couple of years ago.

Because it's bleak? Plenty of people have issues with marinas. Doesn't mean they've ben refused entry!

My opinion there was an issue was based on the first post which implies there is.

It still puzzles me how someone can say that Burton Waters is bleak but a towpath isnt. Am i missing something? I dont get fishermen waking me up at 6am, i dont get dogs crapping on the pontoon, i dont get strangers walking past my windows, i can leave my boat safe in the knowledge it will be there when i get back and it wont have been tampered with. How can that be worse than a towpath.

It still puzzles me how someone can say that Burton Waters is bleak but a towpath isnt. Am i missing something? I dont get fishermen waking me up at 6am, i dont get dogs crapping on the pontoon, i dont get strangers walking past my windows, i can leave my boat safe in the knowledge it will be there when i get back and it wont have been tampered with. How can that be worse than a towpath.

yes your missing the bit about other people having their own opinion.

Opinions are what we are throwing about.

Justifications are what im looking for. Someone to give a valid reason why a towpath is "better" than a marina.

Its a personal choice.

the mooring I have isn't on a tow path.

I didn't get vetted on what my boat looks like, and I am left alone and there is 400 acres of common land as my "view" from the boat.

It is better because that is what we choose to believe it is, just like you choose to believe a marina is better.

We will not persuade you and you will not persuade us.

So, we will all have to agree to disagree.

Happy boating.

Justifications are what im looking for. Someone to give a valid reason why a towpath is "better" than a marina.

'Opinions' are what you asked for.

I too like seeing 'strange' boats go tootling past, occasionally they've even stopped for a coffee and chat.

I declined from describing my experiences of Burton Waters because I am aware there are people that moor there and like it.

Each to their own

We have an online towpath side mooring because all we wanted was somewhere to moor the boat, and the mooring we have is a lot cheaper than a marina.

As it happens, we have lots of conversations with walkers and other boat users and get to watch the local wildlife too, but that wasn't why we chose our mooring.

Richard

Why would you prefer online. The security issue puts us off for one, people cruising past you constantly lack of facilities.

Clearly you have a very strange idea of what "online" means!

I moor on-line.

The security is second to none (10 foot security fence around the site, and significantly fewer keyholders than at your marina)

What facilities do you imagine that we lack?

No more passing traffic than you will experience in your marina.

No, people are entitled to their opinion, and they can hold that opinion for any number of reasons that may not seem like good reasons to you, or indeed for no tangible reason at all.

What is more, people are entitled to hold an opinion without justifying it to you!

We moored first in Whilton Marina. Didn't like it that much, big and impersonal, but good facilities and lots of skilled help to sort our 2nd hand boat's problems out. Moved to Springwood Haven, liked it much more, smaller, more sense of community, scenically placed, and none of Mr. Branson's express trains thundering by at dead of night. Now, after a lengthy property search, we moor at the end of our garden: convenient, can go boating at half an hour's notice, no mooring fees, but quite a trek for service or repairs. So each type of mooring had its pro's and con's. We have not tried bankside yet, though I have a long-term ambition to moor at Cropredy.

Clearly you have a very strange idea of what "online" means!

I moor on-line.

The security is second to none (10 foot security fence around the site, and significantly fewer keyholders than at your marina)

What facilities do you imagine that we lack?

No more passing traffic than you will experience in your marina.

No, people are entitled to their opinion, and they can hold that opinion for any number of reasons that may not seem like good reasons to you, or indeed for no tangible reason at all.

What is more, people are entitled to hold an opinion without justifying it to you!

Then why bother becoming a member of a forum if you keep opinions to yourself. Isnt the whole idea to share thoughts?

The security at the marina is second to none. Each pontoon has its own entrance with an electronic key fob. 24 Hour security guards who regulaly patrol the site and watch on cameras. I have seen the facilities at BW sites, they leave a little to be desired. I acknowledge you may not be on BW site but from my experience so far i think i will give them a miss. I can write this safe in the knowledge i know where my boat is.

Then why bother becoming a member of a forum if you keep opinions to yourself. Isnt the whole idea to share thoughts?

The security at the marina is second to none. Each pontoon has its own entrance with an electronic key fob. 24 Hour security guards who regulaly patrol the site and watch on cameras. I have seen the facilities at BW sites, they leave a little to be desired. I acknowledge you may not be on BW site but from my experience so far i think i will give them a miss. I can write this safe in the knowledge i know where my boat is.

Yes, thoughts.

That doesn't mean that we are required to justify our thoughts to you!

No, I'm not on a BW site, just an unassuming online-offside mooring on a narrow canal near Manchester, with good security, a small number of moorers, all the facilities that we need, ample space on the mooring to hold barbeques, nice neighbours.

And I'm safe in the knowledge that I too know where my boat is.

Oh, Phylis, your slip is showing again :-)

From your posts about the baby next door crying and from your posts on this thread, I get the impression that you are wanting us all to say "yes, we agree with you. You have made the correct choice" . Several people have said that they prefer to moor on line and you then repsond by implying that they are wrong. (and by implication, you are right to moor in a marina). We all do things in life which feel right for us but others may not agree. Vive la difference!

As someone said, we won't change your opinion and you won't change ours so why not sit back and read posts from those who take the trouble to repond to you.

Haggis.

Yes, thoughts.

That doesn't mean that we are required to justify our thoughts to you!

No, I'm not on a BW site, just an unassuming online-offside mooring on a narrow canal near Manchester, with good security, a small number of moorers, all the facilities that we need, ample space on the mooring to hold barbeques, nice neighbours.

And I'm safe in the knowledge that I too know where my boat is.

Then why bother posting and getting involved in the discussion?

Oh, Phylis, your slip is showing again :-)

From your posts about the baby next door crying and from your posts on this thread, I get the impression that you are wanting us all to say "yes, we agree with you. You have made the correct choice" . Several people have said that they prefer to moor on line and you then repsond by implying that they are wrong. (and by implication, you are right to moor in a marina). We all do things in life which feel right for us but others may not agree. Vive la difference!

As someone said, we won't change your opinion and you won't change ours so why not sit back and read posts from those who take the trouble to repond to you.

Haggis.

I know better than to belive everything i do is right. Im interested in choices others have made and the reasoning behind the choices. Maybe we missed something you never know.

Thankfully I moor in a part of the country that doesn't need that sort of security!

I dont get fishermen waking me up at 6am, i dont get dogs crapping on the pontoon, i dont get strangers walking past my windows, i can leave my boat safe in the knowledge it will be there when i get back and it wont have been tampered with.

Same for me. And I pay about 1/3 of what the local marina would charge. That's a big enough incentive. My mooring is in the sort of spot that if you were out cruising you would say "that's a nice place to moor". The canal is wide enough for me to turn on the spot and I have a choice of four directions within a mile or so. Works for me!

Dor, I too was saddened by the catalogue of electronic circuitry, armed guards with remote-control rottweilers, razor wire, Bren gun carriers and the like. To protect what: a secret Government bunker? An RAF fighter airfield? John Prescott's favourite restaurant? No, a place where ordinary people park their leisure boats. But if that puts Phylis and her fellow-moorers at ease, fair enough.

Any spare moorings near yours? - it sounds great!