Foot pain

homer2911

Featured Posts

Since the end of our last month long trip in September, I've had a pain on the underside of my left foot, mainly at the heel. The symptoms are just as described here:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=46891

It's not severe enough to go to the quack, but it gets painful to stand for any period - I think that the pressure on the underside of the foot from opening lock gates may be a contributing factor. Anyone else suffer thus?

Since the end of our last month long trip in September, I've had a pain on the underside of my left foot, mainly at the heel. The symptoms are just as described here:

It's not severe enough to go to the quack, but it gets painful to stand for any period - I think that the pressure on the underside of the foot from opening lock gates may be a contributing factor. Anyone else suffer thus?

go to the Dr.

Hi

Try these they are not cheap but bloody good. Bauerfeind Visco Spot Heel Cushions.

Don't be tempted to buy others which look the same but are cheaper. I have suffered with this for a few years, have been to specialst and they say injections ( which they don't recommend) or these heel cushions.

Bauerfeind UK 0121 446 5353

Hope this helps.

Ralph

Find a podiatrist and go for a biomechanical assessment. You'll probably have to wear a foot brace in bed at night for a month or too, you may even (like me) have to have orthotics made, which are really expensive but they do work.

The doctors were hopeless for me, they wouldn't give me free podiatry, I had to pay, my podiastrist does some NHS work, he says by the time he gets to see people they are practically lame!

You have almost certainly got Planta Faciitus, and if you do nothing about it, it will get worse,.

Breifly I will explain, The Planta Facia is a tendon which runs from thae ball of your foot to the heel, and keeps your foot from curling upwards. If this ruptures it will cause pain wherever the rupture occurs, this is usually in the cetre of the foot arch, or where the planta Facia joins the heel. It has various common names including Policeman's heel, and Fallen Arches etc. It is normally a condition suffered by people in their middle years partyicularly those who spend a lot of time on their feet. Jogging is particularly bad for causing it. The most susceptible people are those with either very high foot arches or very flat feet.

Treatment involves supporting the arch with shoe sole inserts (Orthotics), and sensible supportive footwear, and the avoidance of walking on hard surfaces, on no account should sufferers walk bare footed. Because the Planta Faccia will start to heal overnight, it is important to gently flex the feet for several minutes before getting up in the morning, and put your supportive shoes on straight away - no walking to the bathroom in bare feet or flat slippers.

If you go to the Doctor, do not be suprised if he/she has not heard of the condition, or if you are told they can do nothing. You may be reccomended to have a cortesone injection, this does work for a small number of people , but in many instances the pain returns after a few months.

Sorry I have only just read the link, so much of this you already know. But do not ignore it, get some inserts - you may have to try several before you find a pair that work and are comfortable- Belive me if you do nothing it will not go away and if it gets severe you may develop Plantar Faciosis, where the damage becomes almost unrepairable and virtually uncurable.

So Please do something about it. Most people who take rectifying action swiftly do manage to get rid of it. Those who do not, find themselves suffering for years.

Edited by David Schweizer

I am currently wearing that particular tee-shirt.

Injured myself in July playing squash. Went boating and hoped it would clear up. It did to some extent but it's still a nagging pain. Went to minor injuries clinic expecting them to diagnose a stress fracture. They declined to X-Ray and sent me to Doctor. Doctor sent me back to minor injuries clinic for X-ray. X-ray took 10 days to arrive at Doctor's who decided everything looks normal and referred me to NHS podiatry. Got to see someone last Friday who gave me a half hour consultation and prescribed stretching exercises for my calf muscles and achiles tendons and insoles for my shoes.

I have to go back in a month but in the meantime he has encouraged me to take up exercise again. I must warm up first though.

There are a lot of people offering advise and miracle cures on the web but I'd say pay to see a Podiatrist if you can find the money.

Cheshire Cat

Just to counterbalance the tales of doom here. I had this last year, the doctor prescribed stretching exercises which I did fitfully; nothing else. It just faded away over a few months and is completely gone now.

I suspect that part-time boaters may be at some risk of this because people like me, who spend most of their time sitting at a desk, go boating and spend all day standing steering or walking around locking. It feels to me like standing for long periods when you're not used to it is the problem. Vibration from the engine probably doesn't help either.

MP.

Me too! Hell's teeth, how many of us are there on here?

I suspect that part-time boaters may be at some risk of this because people like me, who spend most of their time sitting at a desk, go boating and spend all day standing steering or walking around locking. It feels to me like standing for long periods when you're not used to it is the problem. Vibration from the engine probably doesn't help either.

I've a horrible suspicion this might be true, and I don't want to accept that boating might be contributing to the problem :lol:

David

You have almost certainly got Planta Faciitus, and if you do nothing about it, it will get worse,.

Breifly I will explain, The Planta Facia is a tendon which runs from thae ball of your foot to the heel, and keeps your foot from curling upwards. If this ruptures it will cause pain wherever the rupture occurs, this is usually in the cetre of the foot arch, or where the planta Facia joins the heel. It has various common names including Policeman's heel, and Fallen Arches etc. It is normally a condition suffered by people in their middle years partyicularly those who spend a lot of time on their feet. Jogging is particularly bad for causing it. The most susceptible people are those with either very high foot arches or very flat feet.

Treatment involves supporting the arch with shoe sole inserts (Orthotics), and sensible supportive footwear, and the avoidance of walking on hard surfaces, on no account should sufferers walk bare footed. Because the Planta Faccia will start to heal overnight, it is important to gently flex the feet for several minutes before getting up in the morning, and put your supportive shoes on straight away - no walking to the bathroom in bare feet or flat slippers.

If you go to the Doctor, do not be suprised if he/she has not heard of the condition, or if you are told they can do nothing. You may be reccomended to have a cortesone injection, this does work for a small number of people , but in many instances the pain returns after a few months.

Sorry I have only just read the link, so much of this you already know. But do not ignore it, get some inserts - you may have to try several before you find a pair that work and are comfortable- Belive me if you do nothing it will not go away and if it gets severe you may develop Plantar Faciosis, where the damage becomes almost unrepairable and virtually uncurable.

So Please do something about it. Most people who take rectifying action swiftly do manage to get rid of it. Those who do not, find themselves suffering for years.

Sorry to be the voice of doom but this painful condition is something which is slowly crippling me despite orthotics, a superb chiropractor, painkillers, stretching, and icing. It can become very painful indeed. See someone quickly to sort it out.

D

My father had that - it was diagnosed as Planta Faciitus / and / or a Spur. He was 80 at the time and it really incapacitated him. He was told to wear a sort of spongy sole thing in his shoe with a hole where the pain was - and in a couple of months, it was (and he was) fine. (He now complains about his knees - but he's 87 now and I think that is just wear and tear). But I should see a podiatrist (I can't spell Chiropadist I don' think - the White Wine is writing now.....)

Stickleback

WOW !

I'm constantly amazed by the knowledge of people on this forum.

I first thought, what a ridiculous question for a boat forum, then you come up with chapter, verse - and a cure

Well done guys (& gal)

Alex

:lol: And the breadth and depth of that knowledge too.

:lol: A whopping thanks from us as well. :lol:

John & Jo

This works -took close to 2 months but works. I could not walk first thing in the morning or aafter any period of rest.

You are here: Home>Heel Pain > Heel Pain Excercises

Heel Pain Exercises

1. Achilles tendon and plantar fascia stretch

First thing in the morning, loop a towel, a piece of elastic or a tubigrip

around the ball of your foot and, keeping your knee straight, pull your

toes towards your nose, holding for 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times for each

foot.

2. Wall push-ups or stretches for Achilles tendon

The Achilles tendon comes from the muscles at the back of your thigh and

your calf muscles. These exercises need to be performed first with the

knee straight and then with the knee bent in order to stretch both parts

of the Achilles tendon. Twice a day do the following wall push-ups or

stretches: (a) Face the wall, put both hands on the wall at shoulder

height, and stagger the feet (one foot in front of the other). The front

foot should be approximately 30 cm (12 inches) from the wall. With the

front knee bent and the back knee straight, lean into the stretch (i.e.

towards the wall) until a tightening is felt in the calf of the back leg,

and then ease off. Repeat 10 times. (:lol: Now repeat this exercise but bring

the back foot forward a little so that the back knee is slightly bent.

Repeat the push-ups 10 times.

3. Stair stretches for Achilles tendon and plantar fascia

Holding the stair-rail for support, with legs slightly apart, position the

feet so that both heels are off the end of the step. Lower the heels,

keeping the knees straight, until a tightening is felt in the calf. Hold

this position for 20-60 seconds and then raise the heels back to neutral.

Repeat 6 times, at least twice a day.

4. Dynamic stretches for plantar fascia

This involves rolling the arch of the foot over a tennis ball or a heel

pain massager etc, while either standing (holding the back of a chair for

support) or sitting. Allow the foot and ankle to move in all directions

over the object. This can be done for a few minutes until there is some

discomfort. Repeat this exercise at least twice a day. The discomfort can

be relieved by rolling the foot on a cool drinks can from the fridge.

5. Pen Roll and Alphabet Excerscise

Place a pen on the floor and try to pick the pen up curling all your toes

around the pen. Once you have the pen hold for 5 seconds and repeat. Also

spell out the alphabet with your large toe, repeat 3 times for each foot.

Both exercises help to focus the stretch of the plantar fascia and promote

healing.

WOW !

I'm constantly amazed by the knowledge of people on this forum.

I first thought, what a ridiculous question for a boat forum, then you come up with chapter, verse - and a cure

Well done guys (& gal)

Alex

Yep, almost certainly plantar fasciitis. I've had it for two and half years, and now been off work with it for three months. If it gets a grip it is crippling - I am on crutches for much of the day at the moment. Mine is due to a damaged patella and knee cartilage not allowing me to put my heel down properly. This has caused the achilles tendon to shorten and begin to calcify and thus cause problems on the heel of my foot. Do not be tempted by the offer of cortisone injections, they are limited value, take months to kick in (ho ho!) and can cause more problems than they solve as they are thought to be a contributing factor in causing the plantar muscle to rupture. I have orthotics for my shoes, a foot and leg splint for night-time, eat Ibroprofen by the packet and am trying to lose weight. The physiotherapist has taught me to tape the sole of my foot too which helps enormously in addition to the stretching exercises. I've found if I can alleviate the pain one day then I have a better day the next. If I know I'm just pottering around I just wind tape round the heel and over the instep but two days of this and the pain is back full-time. Mine has gone away in the past, but this current bout is proving very difficult to shift. At the moment, I am looking at the probability that I will be forced to give up teaching, which will break my heart I reckon.

Do try everything suggested as you will find something that works and keep doing the stretching exercises.

Good luck! Jill

PS try this link for information American Family Physicians' site

I have had two bouts of this over the past 15 years both causing pain for months

The cause was described to me as inflamation of the plantar fascia causing a bony growth on the bottom surface of the heel as it heals - hence the name plantar's spur - this bony growth then presses into the tissue on the base of the heel causing pain and more inflamation and more pain and more bony growth

the second time (this year) I self treated because I had learned from my first successful treatment

Solution is to definately do the stretches - religiously I might add

Wear good shoes with arch support or an insole with arch support (visit a quality outdoor clothing shop for those) the crucial thing is the gel pads to place your heels on in BOTH shoes (good outdoor shop again) - these help to absorb the shock load on the heel when walking and ease the pressing of the soft tissue against the spur when standing

Oh and try anti-inflamatory's to get the inflamation under control in the first instance

It may take months to heal (HAH!) but the sooner you begin the better - and if you are like me, having got it under control it may be years before it flares up again

get it sorted as soon as you can - the sooner the better

Yep, almost certainly plantar fasciitis. I've had it for two and half years, and now been off work with it for three months. If it gets a grip it is crippling - I am on crutches for much of the day at the moment. Mine is due to a damaged patella and knee cartilage not allowing me to put my heel down properly. This has caused the achilles tendon to shorten and begin to calcify and thus cause problems on the heel of my foot. Do not be tempted by the offer of cortisone injections, they are limited value, take months to kick in (ho ho!) and can cause more problems than they solve as they are thought to be a contributing factor in causing the plantar muscle to rupture. I have orthotics for my shoes, a foot and leg splint for night-time, eat Ibroprofen by the packet and am trying to lose weight. The physiotherapist has taught me to tape the sole of my foot too which helps enormously in addition to the stretching exercises. I've found if I can alleviate the pain one day then I have a better day the next. If I know I'm just pottering around I just wind tape round the heel and over the instep but two days of this and the pain is back full-time. Mine has gone away in the past, but this current bout is proving very difficult to shift. At the moment, I am looking at the probability that I will be forced to give up teaching, which will break my heart I reckon.

Do try everything suggested as you will find something that works and keep doing the stretching exercises.

Good luck! Jill

PS try this link for information American Family Physicians' site

hugs.

It reminds me of a woman I once met who suffered pain in one foot, it turned out one of her legs was slightly shorter than the other meaning the sor foot had more weight put onto it than the other, but the funniest part of it all was she was actually called Eileen... :lol:

Not the one related to Ben Dover?

• 8 months later...

It was Plantar Faciitus, and the podiatrist I went to had a good look at the geometry of my feet and prescribed some heel lifts - inserts that lifted my heels above my soles by about 8mm. A few weeks later it had eased, and for now has gone completely.

Many thanks to everyone for your helpful replies (see later post for my current ailment!)

GP explained to my neighbour (with a similar problem) that it happens because your feet relax as you sleep, your toes point down allowing the ligaments of the heel to contract.

Then sure as eggs is eggs, you stand up when getting out of bed, quickly stretching the tendons and ligaments and causing a tear at the heel.

So - before you get out of bed, stretch your feet gently and as my GP said to my neighbour , 'write your name in the air with your feet, so exercising them back into normal stretch before you stand' I have been doing it each morning and my feet aren't nearly as inflexible as they had been.

I reckon everyone over the age of 45- 50 should be doing this.

GP explained to my neighbour (with a similar problem) that it happens because your feet relax as you sleep, your toes point down allowing the ligaments of the heel to contract.

Then sure as eggs is eggs, you stand up when getting out of bed, quickly stretching the tendons and ligaments and causing a tear at the heel.

So - before you get out of bed, stretch your feet gently and as my GP said to my neighbour , 'write your name in the air with your feet, so exercising them back into normal stretch before you stand' I have been doing it each morning and my feet aren't nearly as inflexible as they had been.

I reckon everyone over the age of 45- 50 should be doing this.

Yes It's definitely an age thing. I've got it too. It comes and goes depending on whether I remember to do the exercises or not