60/40 / set price / you choose

valrene9600

Featured Posts

I have just purchased fuel from "Bletchley & Argus" on the Grand Union. I was asked what % split I wanted.

Would anyone care to add to the list as it would help us all to choose our supplier.

Also can we just stick to the topic and not go off in all directions.

Just name the supplier and what their terms of sale are.

The following other Grand Union outlets have indicated to me that they will allow any split, (though I have not purchased from either)

Uxbridge Boat Centre

Cow Roast Marina

Addtionally on the forum saying they will do the same

Canal Shop, Whilton Locks

Can I suggest that this thread be moderated so it stays as Reports, rather than risk moving off into another debate on the issue?

Fair comment, but let's be sure to remember this is a matter of law --- not the whim of individual fuel retailers. We should all have a mind to report to HMRC any retailers not complying with the rules. There has to be a suspicion they are working a fiddle if they are not complying.

Mike.

I purchased fuel from Willowbridge Marina (GU near Milton Keynes) just prior to the new regs coming into force and the owner (Richard) indicated to me that he has drawn up all the calculation sheets and will be programming his till for any split. So another good guy. :lol:

Chris

Edited by chris w

Fair comment, but let's be sure to remember this is a matter of law --- not the whim of individual fuel retailers. We should all have a mind to report to HMRC any retailers not complying with the rules. There has to be a suspicion they are working a fiddle if they are not complying.

Mike.

Have you read the response from HMRC, which says that retailers are at liberty to restrict the range of splits they sell, that this is a perfectly legal commercial decision by them, and that if they don't sell the split you want you should buy from somebody else.

Have you read the response from HMRC, which says that retailers are at liberty to restrict the range of splits they sell, that this is a perfectly legal commercial decision by them, and that if they don't sell the split you want you should buy from somebody else.

Quote from original post

Reading as bad as your maths!!!

And yes I know I have now done the same but would be great if we could stick to naming proper marinas.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Quote from original post

Reading as bad as your maths!!!

And yes I know I have now done the same but would be great if we could stick to naming proper marinas.

No, I read perfectly.

Unfortunately, somebody else had added a post that was not only off-topic, but factually wrong. I felt that it should be corrected.

I still don't understand the reason for this? If people on this forum can come up with all range of speadsheets and online calculators which simplify the job of pricing a range of splits, then surely only an incompetant commercial operator can't do the same?

I guess I've just answered my own question!

I visited an ABC marina and was told all their Marinas allow any split you want.

Good, I hope the trend continues and suppliers who aren't willing to give their customers what they want start to realise that people will go elsewhere and they will lose business - not only from lost diesel sales but from customers who no longer stop to browse in their chandleries. This may start to focus the minds of obsinate suppliers.

"I still don't understand the reason for this?"

Please understand - as a tax collector (retailer), if you get VAT wrong, HMRC will rip your head off and spit down your neck (commercially speaking of course) - I mean they will kill your business, they will close you down, really they can and they do! I am in a totally different business to these diesel retailers, but I collect full 17.5% VAT on everything I sell, regardless of what it might be rated at. It is technically wrong, but HMRC are happy to ignore this because there is no possibility of any tax slipping through the net. It is a commercial decision I made many years ago to protect my business, based on my previous experiences of HMRC/VAT. It may occasionally loose me some customers, but I get to stay in business. If I were a diesel retailer, until the dust settles on his very sloppy system, I would be following those retailers who dictate the split.

"I still don't understand the reason for this?"

If I were a diesel retailer, until the dust settles on his very sloppy system, I would be following those retailers who dictate the split.

In that case you don't understand the very simple rules and guidelines for both suppliers and customers from the HMRC on diesel splits and I am not surprised therefore that you got confused in your own business.

Chris

Edited by chris w

I understand them fully (if I didnt how could I have made such tactical decisions on how to approach them), and I am still in business after many many years - which is a very happy combination. Not everyone can say that!

It is important to fight the fights you can win, and avoid the ones you cant! HMRC have astonishing powers. I am David to their Goliath, but unlike the original David, I dont fancy my luck!

There has been a site mentioned before at Diesel; Prices.

Some have commented that it has not been very up to date. For the past few months I have been compiling a weekly update of info gained from forums/blogs/newsgroups etc and emailing this to the site owner.

Would it be worth me dropping Bob (the owner) an email asking if he could add a column stating the type of split the outlet will do? If the site could be linked from here, we could all help to keep it as up to date as possible, so it could become a usefull reference.

Just a thought, it might cut some of the currently endless posts on the diesel situation.