Perch

JV44

Featured Posts

OFF TOPIC ----sorry.

Never understood that ?

People from Great Britain - called " Brits " Big O/K !!

People from Pakistan - called "Pakis", BIG NO NO ??

The term has been used in a derogatory manner, for so long, that it has reached the level of a racist insult.

I have been in places where "English!" is said with equal venom, and is regarded in a similar manner.

I kept my head down and my gob shut.

Have you three really trawled back through more than a weeks posts just to find one that, in your ignorant way can somehow resurrect and interpret as racist.. We can only guess at your motives, I for one can only say I find the whole thing very unattractive.

I didn't trawl back, John. I responded to a post made today.

Went out after big perch last saturday and took 8 over 2lb up to 3lb with lots of 12oz to 1lb and a bit fish,lost a big pike as well,In my haste to launch the boat i forgot my camera but luckily the boat fishing near me was good enough to take a shot of one of the fish [note to self less haste more speed],All the fish were taken in a slack area to live baits

IMG_0041081.jpg

Get out and have a go they are on the munch Steve.

Steve

Nice fish - though was wondering why a lifejacket? does wearing one help???!

Good to hear that you had a good time - happy fishing

Tim

He did say that he was fishing from a boat, and a small boat at that. If he wasn't fishing from the relatively safe confines of a narrowboat, then perhaps it was a sensible precaution.

Whatever, that was an exceptional perch!

Janet

• 3 months later...

carlt eastern europeans eating our fish is fact .and if you want a day trip too see how bad it is go to dover on the pier .what the british throw back because its too small our european pals are taking thus depleting our young stock in years too come.the same thing happens on our canals and lakes and before anyone starts by calling me a racist im a minority of a minority im a white english malayan beat that then hahaha

• 5 months later...
Went out after big perch last saturday and took 8 over 2lb up to 3lb with lots of 12oz to 1lb and a bit fish,lost a big pike as well,In my haste to launch the boat i forgot my camera but luckily the boat fishing near me was good enough to take a shot of one of the fish [note to self less haste more speed],All the fish were taken in a slack area to live baits

IMG_0041081.jpg

Get out and have a go they are on the munch Steve.

Hi Steve it's Nige the guy on the other side of the bank from you that just sold his wide beam & now has a NB...

Sorry to go 1 bigger & all that but this one came from the front of my boat (used the dog as bait)

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/nig...nt=bigperch.jpg[/img]

& what about this monster:

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/nig...nt=DSC00657.jpg[/img]

The pike was in Henley! over 4ft long as it hang off the sides of my 4ft rubber boat & if you look in the other pictures you can see the size of it's head is almost as big as my big fat head!

Pike & Perch were caught on lead heads with small rubber white wiggler tail worms (USA) you can use a lead head & real worm & this is a killer also even for Carp?????

PS

used to eat Perch in the USA all the time & they are the best fish you will ever eat (if you ask me)

Edited by Nige123

carlt eastern europeans eating our fish is fact .and if you want a day trip too see how bad it is go to dover on the pier .what the british throw back because its too small our european pals are taking thus depleting our young stock in years too come.the same thing happens on our canals and lakes and before anyone starts by calling me a racist im a minority of a minority im a white english malayan beat that then hahaha

I spend time fishing, off Southend pier, with people of all nationalities and yes there is a difference in sport fishing and fishing for food (I fish for food but am aware of the size limits).

If every single fisherman, of every nationality, on every beach and pier in the country, took home their undersize fish, it would be an irrelevant number, compared to the undersize (or wrong type) fish that get dumped back, dead, by the trawlermen, around our shores.

Edited to say: Just spotted the date of the post I responded to. My comment is still relevant, though.

Edited by carlt

Sorry John, I think that was my fault.

JV44 quoted your post without using the reply button, so it read, to me as a stand-alone, racist, insult, rather than your ironic response to his less-overt comments about East European habits.

It all got very confusing and, though I did send another report recognising my error, I think it was too late and Graham has done his best to rehash the results of my cock-up.

I believe the accusation that East Europeans are depleting the fish stocks is a knee-jerk reaction based on prejudice and neglects to take into account the changes in water quality, over the years, the Cormorant moving inland because we're destroying it's natural food source, the introduction of the zander and the release and success of mink.

Down here on the Broads it is no knee jerk reaction as I mentioned in a post some time ago. It was reported in the local press down here and on T.V that some Eastern Europeans were heavily fined and had boat, engine, and nets confiscated as a result of them being caught netting the rivers. this was not the only case but hey-ho I guess that's life today.

Down here on the Broads it is no knee jerk reaction as I mentioned in a post some time ago. It was reported in the local press down here and on T.V that some Eastern Europeans were heavily fined and had boat, engine, and nets confiscated as a result of them being caught netting the rivers. this was not the only case but hey-ho I guess that's life today.

Good!

All poachers of all nationalities should be punished.

The English poacher stealing trout from the lord of the manor's river could do with shedding its harmless "Seth Armstrong" image, too, though.

He did say that he was fishing from a boat, and a small boat at that. If he wasn't fishing from the relatively safe confines of a narrowboat, then perhaps it was a sensible precaution.

Whatever, that was an exceptional perch!

Janet

Another exceptional Perch was the little bugger that found his way up my weed filter ( Broads cruisers have a sort of perferated tube). He really took some shifting as his dorsal spines locked him in.

• 1 month later...
Why do fisherman always seem to enjoy posing and grinning over their recently caught wretched creature, usually in a state of distress and close to death out of it's natural environment..

How long did it take to overcome the brute, no doubt you had been locked locked together in intellectual battle for a while.. I don't like to think of people fishing with live bait either, I have been given to believe that practise was illegal, it was when I was a child.

why bother reading a topic titled "PERCH" if only because all you want to do is bitch about your own opinions. :lol:

Edited by The Commodore

why bother reading a topic titled "PERCH" if only because all you want to do is bitch about your own opinions. :lol:

Because he is another one who believes only his own views are right. It doesnt matter that thousands of people spend many weekends fishing happily and legally, they are all wrong.

Because he is another one who believes only his own views are right. It doesnt matter that thousands of people spend many weekends fishing happily and legally, they are all wrong.

Ah, I see.

The fact that more people fish than express the opinion that fishing is cruel means that the latter opinion is wrong and should not be aired.

Groupthink here we come.

Why do people gripe on about fishing and the cruel nature of the sport.I can't see how catching something with a hook and line is anymore or less cruel than eating the cheper cuts of meat from the supermarket,as the fish MAY suffer (if indeed they do) for only a minuet or two where as these animals are suffering all of their short lives just so we can have cheaper food.Some people just need to think before they start moaning about this and that or do they just do it to get a reaction

Why do people gripe on about fishing and the cruel nature of the sport.I can't see how catching something with a hook and line is anymore or less cruel than eating the cheper cuts of meat from the supermarket,as the fish MAY suffer (if indeed they do) for only a minuet or two where as these animals are suffering all of their short lives just so we can have cheaper food.Some people just need to think before they start moaning about this and that or do they just do it to get a reaction

Human beings are biologically designed to be omnivores. The majority of the population eats meat, and we have laws designed to ensure that those animals that we eat are treated humanely, and with the minimum possible amount of suffering.

If we are to eat meat, then it is inevitable that the animals cannot be guaranteed a life with no suffering, but we strike a balance which results in the minimum possible suffering to achieve the necessary end (meat for us to eat).

If we look at fishing for "sport", the necessity isn't there. We aren't fishing for food, we are fishing for entertainment.

Human beings are biologically designed to be omnivores. The majority of the population eats meat, and we have laws designed to ensure that those animals that we eat are treated humanely, and with the minimum possible amount of suffering.

If we are to eat meat, then it is inevitable that the animals cannot be guaranteed a life with no suffering, but we strike a balance which results in the minimum possible suffering to achieve the necessary end (meat for us to eat).

If we look at fishing for "sport", the necessity isn't there. We aren't fishing for food, we are fishing for entertainment.

The animals we eat can be guaranteed a life of no suffering. You just have to pay more for the pleasure of knowing where your food comes from and how it was reared.