Perch

JV44

Featured Posts

Went out after big perch last saturday and took 8 over 2lb up to 3lb with lots of 12oz to 1lb and a bit fish,lost a big pike as well,In my haste to launch the boat i forgot my camera but luckily the boat fishing near me was good enough to take a shot of one of the fish [note to self less haste more speed],All the fish were taken in a slack area to live baits

IMG_0041081.jpg

Get out and have a go they are on the munch Steve.

That's a nice Perch!

The photo appears to make the location of its capture a little obvious though, basics, basics :lol:

Paul

Hi paul yes i know mate but as i said left me camera in the car so beggars cant be and all that,These days there are so many small boats out on the river fishing that you soon get surrounded if you are catching anyway.

The Perch and Pike were going mad and it was mental great sport though Steve.

Why do fisherman always seem to enjoy posing and grinning over their recently caught wretched creature, usually in a state of distress and close to death out of it's natural environment..

How long did it take to overcome the brute, no doubt you had been locked locked together in intellectual battle for a while.. I don't like to think of people fishing with live bait either, I have been given to believe that practise was illegal, it was when I was a child.

Why do fisherman always seem to enjoy posing and grinning over their recently caught wretched creature, usually in a state of distress and close to death out of it's natural environment..

How long did it take to overcome the brute, no doubt you had been locked locked together in intellectual battle for a while.. I don't like to think of people fishing with live bait either, I have been given to believe that practise was illegal, it was when I was a child.

Its called hunting and we have been doing it for over a million years

At least he didn't kill it and he seems to handling very gently. It will be returned to the water - unharmed

The fish for your fish fingers suffered far more.

Alex

Hunting eh.. To me that implies some level of risk to the participant, yes people have been catching animals to feed their families for a million years, to catch animals just for fun is not in any way acceptable to me.. You no doubt find live baiting all good fun too.

Hi There

Definetly if you mean live maggots, but I am not to happy about live fish to be honest.

Although these same fish are eating little fish all day every day.

I do prefer to use a lure.

I and most other fishermen enjoy catching them but ensure that no harm comes to them, especially large specimens.

They have taken so long to grow to this size no one wants damage them.

Alex

Live baiting is a perfectly legal method fact

some club waters ban it but as i was not fishing a club water then it was a legal method,if seeing photos of anglers captures upset you so much then i suggest you dont look at this part of the forum as i would hate to think that my post upset you :lol: .

Lots of boaters fish get over it and yes i did enjoy grinning and posing it was a cracking fish that was retrurned non the worst for its ordeal Steve.

Luv big stripeys.

Float or leger?

Single or treble?

Paternoster or running?

Oh and what size shoes do you take? :lol:

Nice fish by the way.

They were taken on float fished baits right next to the boat and running paternoster rig next to a feature .

Taken with those double back to back hooks

Few fish look as impresive as a big stripey ,I just love catching them,There was a Kingfisher sat to the side of me splashing in every now and again after the bleak that everything else was munching on magic sight but as i said left the camera in the car doh!! steve.

Cracking fish Steve. I've yet to beat my PB stripey of 2lb 14oz, but I'll keep on trying!

Incidentally, fellow anglers may like to read more about it here.

Hope you don't mind me posting the link Steve, but it was a good read!

Janet

Cracking fish Steve. I've yet to beat my PB stripey of 2lb 14oz, but I'll keep on trying!

Incidentally, fellow anglers may like to read more about it here.

Hope you don't mind me posting the link Steve, but it was a good read!

Janet

No worries Janet and 2lb 14oz is still a monster Perch ,Think it was Dick Walker who said no fish looks as big as a Perch and he was not wrong as every time i get a big one i try to guess the wieght before putting it on the scales and i am always thinking that the scales are wrong as they always look much bigger than they are to me Steve.

The Perch in the OP looked to me like a really nice bit of dinner, not quite sure why it would be going back in the river? :lol:

Because they take a few years to get to this size and our East European friends are eating enough for everybody ,I fish for sport but realise that some may fish for the pot and a few doing so isnt a problem but the numbers now doing so is !.

Also fish of this size will be the breeding stock for future generations of Perch so not a good idea to increase pressure on them Steve.

Because they take a few years to get to this size and our East European friends are eating enough for everybody ,I fish for sport but realise that some may fish for the pot and a few doing so isnt a problem but the numbers now doing so is !.

Also fish of this size will be the breeding stock for future generations of Perch so not a good idea to increase pressure on them Steve.

Ah, it's the East European Immigrants at the bottom of all this, that makes me feel much better.

Edited by NB Alnwick

................. to catch animals just for fun is not in any way acceptable to me..

Oh, John, sometimes I wish we could all revert to the days of innocence!

When I was 9 years old my idea of a great day out in the summer holidays was to ride 6 miles on my bike (including down a humungous hill near Bletchingly in the North Downs) equipped with a sandwich box, simple fishing gear and a raincoat, and hang worms on hooks into the lake at Earlswood all day, and occasionally actually catch a bleak, minnow, stickleback or even a roach.

I don't remember anyone questioning the process. It was something all boys just did.

(and of course people looked after each other, so no-one was concerned that the little lad was away from home with no pennies in his pocket and no way of calling home if things went wrong. Yes, there were occasions when I got a puncture and had to push my bike all the way home including back up that hill).

hell ............. now you've made me feel guilty about what I did more than half a century ago ... :lol:

Edited because JV44 hasn't learnt to quote, properly, yet

Because they take a few years to get to this size and our East European friends are eating enough for everybody

Are the cormorants now "off the hook", so to speak.

Edited by NB Alnwick
Reference to deleted post removed.

Live baiting is a perfectly legal method fact

some club waters ban it but as i was not fishing a club water then it was a legal method,if seeing photos of anglers captures upset you so much then i suggest you dont look at this part of the forum as i would hate to think that my post upset you :lol: .

Lots of boaters fish get over it and yes i did enjoy grinning and posing it was a cracking fish that was retrurned non the worst for its ordeal Steve.

"I suggest you dont look at this part of the forum as i would hate to think that my post upset you" .

Please accept my sincere appologies JV44, I had not realised that you had those editorial powers on the forum, perhaps if you would PM me when there is a post on the forum which may offend my delicate sensitivities.. Yes you do seem to have friends in high high places as I have had one of my posts on the topic deleted for daring to use an abbreviated term of nationality.

Yes you do seem to have friends in high high places as I have had one of my posts on the topic deleted for daring to use an abbreviated term of nationality.

Sorry John, I think that was my fault.

JV44 quoted your post without using the reply button, so it read, to me as a stand-alone, racist, insult, rather than your ironic response to his less-overt comments about East European habits.

It all got very confusing and, though I did send another report recognising my error, I think it was too late and Graham has done his best to rehash the results of my cock-up.

I believe the accusation that East Europeans are depleting the fish stocks is a knee-jerk reaction based on prejudice and neglects to take into account the changes in water quality, over the years, the Cormorant moving inland because we're destroying it's natural food source, the introduction of the zander and the release and success of mink.