The Downfall

NB Teila

Featured Posts

I`ve been reading with a heavy heart at all the ways that have been discussed by boaters in getting more money for BW, CC`s, Wide beam, EOG, licence increases, etc. That it seems it`s a fore-gone conculsion, that no matter how many `mistakes` are made, money wasted, excuses made, spin put out,bad management that nothing is said about the `people`(not the corporate face) who are bringing the downfall of the waterways too us all. Who are they accountable too, the goverment gives the grants, yes, but for HOW they spend it? Seems that as long as the spin is right they can spend on what ever is deemed the best for them, NOT the wateways. How are their bonus worked out, in my eyes they should be paying in, not taking out!!

They should not be allowed to get away with it , there should be angry responses to BW, questions asked , answers demanded, about why they are letting the waterways dissolve before our very eyes. Each time we are not satisfied with their answer, then get angry again until, they get it right. Each time BW have a get together with boaters they must really rub their hands with glee at the little small disputes that need sorting out, when all that they should be hearing all the time is, get the waterways FIXED. After that is done then we can sort out the little disputes that really need sorting.

Don`t go the way of the spin about money shortage, if BW had got their act together, not cocked up with bollards,out sourcing consultations, getting `people` on the towpaths, pods for working boats/transits for the same thing, spying web sites, to name a few. Then the short fall of moneys would`nt be an issue. An increase in licence fees would be gladly paid for, for the up keep of the fixed waterways, not I`m afraid if said waterways are falling apart with bad management.

We know hard times are coming, we all should be fighting the same battle, the waterways is the battle field, it`s survival is the reason for fighting, the enemy is anyone who tries to bring about it`s downfall. In-fighting between boaters is`nt the way to go, change is needed and if we all stick together on just one thing, getting the waterways fixed, it will happen.

It`s just a rant at how I feel,

Don`t feel any better for it though.

I`ve been reading with a heavy heart at all the ways that have been discussed by boaters in getting more money for BW, CC`s, Wide beam, EOG, licence increases, etc. That it seems it`s a fore-gone conculsion, that no matter how many `mistakes` are made, money wasted, excuses made, spin put out,bad management that nothing is said about the `people`(not the corporate face) who are bringing the downfall of the waterways too us all. Who are they accountable too, the goverment gives the grants, yes, but for HOW they spend it? Seems that as long as the spin is right they can spend on what ever is deemed the best for them, NOT the wateways. How are their bonus worked out, in my eyes they should be paying in, not taking out!!

They should not be allowed to get away with it , there should be angry responses to BW, questions asked , answers demanded, about why they are letting the waterways dissolve before our very eyes. Each time we are not satisfied with their answer, then get angry again until, they get it right. Each time BW have a get together with boaters they must really rub their hands with glee at the little small disputes that need sorting out, when all that they should be hearing all the time is, get the waterways FIXED. After that is done then we can sort out the little disputes that really need sorting.

Don`t go the way of the spin about money shortage, if BW had got their act together, not cocked up with bollards,out sourcing consultations, getting `people` on the towpaths, pods for working boats/transits for the same thing, spying web sites, to name a few. Then the short fall of moneys would`nt be an issue. An increase in licence fees would be gladly paid for, for the up keep of the fixed waterways, not I`m afraid if said waterways are falling apart with bad management.

We know hard times are coming, we all should be fighting the same battle, the waterways is the battle field, it`s survival is the reason for fighting, the enemy is anyone who tries to bring about it`s downfall. In-fighting between boaters is`nt the way to go, change is needed and if we all stick together on just one thing, getting the waterways fixed, it will happen.

I suspect your views are held by many but too few people question or complain. Those of us who do are met with silence or misinformation. Whilst British Waterways have a policy of openness and accountability, in truth they are never open and avoid being held accountable.

It is in the public interest that we know how directors bonuses are set. I suspect they are at the root of what is wrong with British Waterways.

I suspect your views are held by many but too few people question or complain. Those of us who do are met with silence or misinformation. Whilst British Waterways have a policy of openness and accountability, in truth they are never open and avoid being held accountable.

It is in the public interest that we know how directors bonuses are set. I suspect they are at the root of what is wrong with British Waterways.

Don't complain to BW complain to the people who make the rules. The Government. There is a Parliamentary waterways group write to the chairman.

Sue

I agree with all that's been said here. Everyone is obsessed by the "funding shortfall" but why should BW get more money when they waste a lot of what they have?

Sueb - that's a good point too, though BW aren't entirely blameless. Do you have any contact details for the Chair of the Parliamentary Waterways Group?

What a negative viewpoint! I don't see the waterways as a battlefield at all. I see no evidence of the system "dissolving". BW don't always get things right neither are they always wrong as many people on this forum seem to think. There will always be things that need fixing on the system no matter how much money is invested and there will always be things which some people regard as an unnecessary expense. This is the nature of a large organisation. Many people refuse to see anything which happens as positive. For instance on the Caldon in spring this year a couple of trees blew down and blocked the cut. BW had the blockage cleared within a few hours and this on a Sunday - excellent service. The system is largely navigable during the cruising season and BW are to be congratulated for keeping it open. The problem is that the "BW bashers" are more vociferous than those of us who think that, on the whole, a reasonable job is being done given the financial restraints.

This summer I have cruised for many miles with only minor irritations and hold ups. This is not indicative of a system heading for collapse as you seem to think.

Edited by AlanH

What a negative viewpoint! I don't see the waterways as a battlefield at all. I see no evidence of the system "dissolving". BW don't always get things right neither are they always wrong as many people on this forum seem to think. There will always be things that need fixing on the system no matter how much money is invested and there will always be things which some people regard as an unnecessary expense. This is the nature of a large organisation. Many people refuse to see anything which happens as positive. For instance on the Caldon in spring this year a couple of trees blew down and blocked the cut. BW had the blockage cleared within a few hours and this on a Sunday - excellent service. The system is largely navigable during the cruising season and BW are to be congratulated for keeping it open. The problem is that the "BW bashers" are more vociferous than those of us who think that, on the whole, a reasonable job is being done given the financial restraints.

This summer I have cruised for many miles with only minor irritations and hold ups. This is not indicative of a system heading for collapse as you seem to think.

At last, the voice of reason! Of course the waterways are not in perfect condition and of course BW (like any large organisation) is far from "perfect" but the first thing I noticed after buying my boat a few years ago was how much better condition the system is in than it was when I first started hiring boats 35 years ago. BWs Directors and senior managers are also certainly much better paid than most boaters but as public sector employees they also almost certainly earn far less than they would do if they worked in some part of the private sector such as, er......, banking!

Jim

Maybe its time to block the Thames with boats... storm the house from the riverside and make a fuss .. One or two odd letters to some grey suit will not do any good ,just end up in the waste bin

I have been a biker for the last 40/odd years and atteded many events aimed at at change , It all seemed pointless at the time despite the just cause's But looking back I think the action did have an effect and although we did not change the world we did stop the rot . Maye be now not all bikers letters end up in the waste bin So when do we block the ports? or do we just take it and keep complaining to our selves, ?

Phew I thought this was just a place for a chin-wag Only been on the site for a few week but already a "REB" .. just the way I like it

Rooster

This end of the Oxford has seen little more than a strimmer for some years now. Long lengths of the bank have collapsed into the canal. Submerged trees and overgrowth are a big problem. Not a negative viewpoint just fact.

This end of the Oxford has seen little more than a strimmer for some years now. Long lengths of the bank have collapsed into the canal. Submerged trees and overgrowth are a big problem. Not a negative viewpoint just fact.

OI! some years... I put a lawn mower down there about 4 years ago. It looks beautiful. I was overstaying on a linear mooring site at the time so I did some hedge trimming and mowed the grass.

The collapsed wall at Gurnett is being repaired as is the leak in the viaduct at Red Bull. The vandalised toilets at Marple are being refurbished. The bank at the lift bridge near Disley has been rebuilt. Not a positive viewpoint, just fact.

There will never be enough resources to get a perfect system but on the whole I don't think the system is "dissolving" or that BW should be regarded as the enemy.

Edited by AlanH

The collapsed wall at Gurnett is being repaired as is the leak in the viaduct at Red Bull. The vandalised toilets at Marple are being refurbished. The bank at the lift bridge near Disley has been rebuilt. Not a positive viewpoint, just fact.

There will never be enough resources to get a perfect system but on the whole I don't think the system is "dissolving" or that BW should be regarded as the enemy.

Having visited other waterways, albeit not many, I have noticed that the Oxford doesn't get as much TLC, but it is obvious that some waterways do, and others dont. The towpath on many parts of the Oxford has deteriorated so much in the last four years I wonder whether England itself might fall in the cut.

You don't think the £36 million profit BW posted wouldn't have gone a long way towards a better system. No one wants or expects a perfect system but the towpath falling into the cut due to want of maintaining is inexcusable.

I quite agree, Alan. Sometimes BW do a good job, and they rarely get any praise for it. The ground troops on the Macc are a good bunch as well, in my experience: friendly, helpful, cheery wave etc.

No. I wasn't legless at the time, either.

You seem to have misunderstood where I think the blame lies, the hands on workers do a excellent job even though they are hindered most of the time by mis-management. The main point is that BW management is not doing what their main job is, which is the maintaince and up-keep of the waterways. You may have had a trouble free cruise but I`m sure that there was`nt a stretch of waterway that did`nt need some sort of repair. If as is now it`s a little repair then leaving it till it NEEDS fixing then becomes a lot more expensive. The thing is if BW did make it clear that the majority of the money they recieve was spent on the maintaince and up-keep then there would be a lot more positive viewpoints.

The problem is that the "BW bashers" are more vociferous than those of us who think that, on the whole, a reasonable job is being done given the financial restraints.

They only get `Bashed` because their agenda is totally different to the majority of boaters who invest/pay in them. Their finacial restraints is not the argument, it`s how they spend what they get !!!