Report Unlicensed Boats!

MartinClark

Featured Posts

You're walking down the road and suddenly there's a group of youths walking towards you, all with their hoods up on a warm sunny day. Nervous? Why? Because they are more likely to be a threat than a man in a business suit. They may be on their way to help little old ladies with their shopping, but you've already made a character judgement about them. And if you haven't, you're either very careless about your own safety, or just plain stupid.

You calling me stupid? I would be at least as frightened of the man in the business suit, especially if he'd had a good liquid lunch. Used to meet plenty of them on the train down from London Bridge and they were far more intimidating, as well as revolting, than a gang of spotty herberts trying to look harder than they are.

.......Kids have thrown stones at boats since boats have existed I reckon. We copied the Pirate Club ( my partner skippers for them) and simply don hard hats and a golf umbrella should this happen. ......

:lol: Is it still operating? We used to help there sometimes on Saturdays in the 1960's.

It used to be run by a larger than life character, Lord St David, or am I thinking of another project?

Edited by David Schweizer

I was just thinking, if you handed any of your books to me, would I know from the cover what was inside?

Hypatheci.....hyperthick.....hyper.... imaginary, you handing me the books that is.

It is usual to open a book to find out what is inside. If one can tell from the outside, there is no point having an inside.

It is usual to open a book to find out what is inside. If one can tell from the outside, there is no point having an inside.

Huh?

I always find that the outside of a book provides a fairly good indication of what's inside... chick lit novel/Lister engine manual/gorefest/local government textbook. There is of course every point having an inside to provide the actual content.

Books, however, are different from people.

Is there a scheme where people can pay there license one month at a time like the tv license?If you are on minum wage £800 pounds is over a months wage after deductions.

Yes but you couldn't afford it on 60.50 per week (abut 95 for a couple) jobseeker's; a prospect a good few people have got to look forward to. I to some extent agree with "if you can't afford it..." but when you could afford it, and were nice to all around you it don't seem right.

Maybe if BW took notice of people's future capability to pay and waived siezing for a year or two, or 'til things started picking up that'd be a better option, however since KPMG got involved that seems unlikely.

Yes but you couldn't afford it on 60.50 per week (abut 95 for a couple) jobseeker's; a prospect a good few people have got to look forward to. I to some extent agree with "if you can't afford it..." but when you could afford it, and were nice to all around you it don't seem right.

Maybe if BW took notice of people's future capability to pay and waived siezing for a year or two, or 'til things started picking up that'd be a better option, however since KPMG got involved that seems unlikely.

agreed i do not get that just my stamp payed.When the millions of unemployed starts rising people may start to consider this.I herd that during a recession peoples attitude towards benefits change for the better,probably because they have close friends affected.

Going back to the original question? Should you report a fellow boater on hard times? Should you report an unlicensed boat?.

Well answer me this , if you was to see a motor vehicle with no road tax displayed and knowing that an untaxed car carries NO insurance because within the insurance documents issued it states roughly that your vehicle must be road worthy for the insurance to be valid (drivers licence,road tax, and M.O.T = road worthy), and a bit later you see said car cause damage to another and drive away WOULD YOU REPORT IT.

What I am trying to put over is if a vehicle (of any type) is suppose to have a licence to use the road(of any type) and insurance and worthiness certificate then all is OK, if it does not have these items then get it off the road. All roads are congested, tarmac and water, parking is also getting congested and more boats are being built every year so where do you put them ?? if everywhere you look there are vehicles that simply should not be there. Get them off the water and off the road to make it a safer place to be ! ! !

Well answer me this , if you was to see a motor vehicle with no road tax displayed and knowing that an untaxed car carries NO insurance because within the insurance documents issued it states roughly that your vehicle must be road worthy for the insurance to be valid (drivers licence,road tax, and M.O.T = road worthy), and a bit later you see said car cause damage to another and drive away WOULD YOU REPORT IT.

If I saw an untaxed vehicle, I wouldn't report it.

If I saw a vehicle damage another I would offer my services as a witness and report the incident, as accurately as I could, leaving the tax status, of any vehicle involved, to more interested parties.

Edited by carlt

So carlt you are saying that if that vehicle was yours then you would not mention to anybody that it should not be on the road with no tax or insurance.

Huh?

I don't understand the question.

If you mean, if it was my vehicle, damaged by an untaxed vehicle then I would obviously ask to see the driver's documents.

If he has none then I would report him. Harm has been done and, if it is my vehicle damaged then it becomes my business.

I answered this question at the beginning of this thread.

Would you mention to your insurance company or to the police that the vehicle that damaged yours had no road tax displayed or would you let them find out for themselves??

I would let them find out for themselves. The piece of paper in the window is irrelevant to the accident.

Personally I think an insurance disc (like they have in France) would be preferable. At least it would be relevant to other road users.

Edited to say: If it drove away I very much doubt that I would have noticed the existence, opr otherwise, of a tax disc.

Edited by carlt

Carlt, the reason I'm incensed is my Audi A6 avant was seriously damaged by a untaxed vehicle that should not have been on the road and MY INSURANCE has doubled due to my claim. The driver concerned buggered off and could not be found, and the last owner sold it without tax to someone in a pub !

So now I report every single car I see without a tax disc and will also report any boat when I get on the water myself.

And doing it on line will just make it easier.

Edited by tinca steve

Your insurance will not payout if your vehicle is untaxed as it should not be on the road!

Mine will! I have sorned vehicles that, if stolen, are covered (third party only) by my insurance.

My insurance also covers my NCB, if struck by an uninsured vehicle (no mention is made, of its tax status).

Edited by carlt

Sorry carl got a bit mixed up there . What I meant to say was their insurance would not pay out as their vehicle was not road legal , so you would have to make a claim via your own insurance, hence my insurance raised because they cannot reclaim losses.

Also insurance would be invalid if no M.O.T , road tax or if licence was invalid or for any other reason they can think of not to pay out.

Edited by tinca steve