winter footwear

davidR

Featured Posts

<Snip>

Yes, but any decent Walking Boots these days are Goretex (or sdimilar) lined. Any which are not are probobly not worthy of being called Walking Boots, merely boots.

<Snip>

Good waterproof boots were around for a long time before Gore tex was invented, I still use my 27 year old leather boots and they are bone dry whilst my year old Gore tex ones have already failed!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Most gorgeous autumn day today but as we approach winter for the first time with a NB I wondered what yo wear to keep your feet warm whilst at the tiller.

Try thick seamens socks or newspaper.....failing that get your partner to lay down at your feet and use them as a footwarmer :lol:

DON'T tell me you're not in love with them like I am! It CAN'T be true! They're GORGEOUS!

I'd love to see people's faces as I sailed past wearing those as I steered the boat! ;-)

If only I could afford them... dream.... wish... clouds... rainbows... fluffy bunnies...

Kay

x

Hi,

I don't wish to hijack this posting, but what footwear do you wear to walk along the rain wet gunnel's? I have several pair of Timberland's shoes/boots and they are lethal on wet surfaces, I was wearing a pair of T/L shoes the on Sunday, walked along the gunnel to jump off the front and yes! instant invisible banana skins were strewn everywhere! Needless to say SWMBO nearly had a fit!

Rob

In my experience the most important thing is a good supply of warm dry socks and hot Bovril to keep the upper half warm on those cold foggy days when the left leg is being roasted by the BMC stove . . .

I was just remembering the lovely taste of hot bovril back in my dead animal eating days, to discover thru this thread that until recently I could have been drinking the stuff!!

Mine is a veggie boat, and it wouldn't know what a mung bean looks like! Who needs dodgy 70's pulses when there is Quorn, tofu, Linda McCartney, pasta, rice, couscous.............

i recently bought a pair of these

Danner's Boots

in tk max for less than half their normal price, so they should sort me out for winter.

TK Maxx is a great place to get proper winter footwear - US companies clear all their deadstock to TK to be sold over here. I got some Merrell boots in there, the uppers are sheepskin (like Uggs) but the sole is a far more practical Vibram hiking boot sole - best of both worlds - warm upper and sturdy non slip bottom.

If you look on the winter section of zappos.com there are lots of excellent cold weather boots as well.

Hi,

I don't wish to hijack this posting, but what footwear do you wear to walk along the rain wet gunnel's? I have several pair of Timberland's shoes/boots and they are lethal on wet surfaces, I was wearing a pair of T/L shoes the on Sunday, walked along the gunnel to jump off the front and yes! instant invisible banana skins were strewn everywhere! Needless to say SWMBO nearly had a fit!

Rob

Ahh I'd be best placed to answer this one, coz I've designed yachting footwear in the past. The best non-slip for boating is a siped sole, like you get on deck shoes, it has the wavy 'cuts' in the bottom. Try to avoid eva bottoms (like Ugg boot soles) and anything with enclosed circular bits (they act like hovercrafts as they trap water) or long strips of rubber in the outsole that go from front to back (they act like skis)

Here I did a search for siped outsoles on Zappos for you. :lol:Siped outsoles