winter footwear

davidR

Featured Posts

Baffin Technologies Outback Boots $119.00 if you've got contacts over the pond or £116.00 if you haven't.

Keep your feet warm down to -60c by which time the water won't be wobbly any more.

I wear the Baffin ski boots for fishing and they are the dog's danglies - but no good on the boat.

I'll be ordering mine shortly.

two pairs of socks does it for me

Yes, that is what we used to do before thermal socks were available, but you need to make sure you get boots half a size bigger than your normal shoe size to accomodate the extra thickness,

I wear my Brasher walking boots, gortex lined so waterproof plus decent socks.

Yes, but any decent Walking Boots these days are Goretex (or sdimilar) lined. Any which are not are probobly not worthy of being called Walking Boots, merely boots.

Two pairs of socks and good Wellies does it for me

I once fell in wearing wellies. Amazing how heavy a pair of wellies full of water are, I had to be pulled out even though I was only in the water up to my knees. I have never worn wellies on a boat since that day.

Edited by David Schweizer

I find that modern boots get too hot, stood next to the stove.

The Timberlands are warm enough for the outside, 100% waterproof but don't get sweaty, stood in the backcabin.

Clicky

I have never tried Timberland boots - my old boots were purchased from Milletts in Rugby in 1967 in readiness for a sponsored walk to Edge Hill and back - I did the walk and, until we bought the boat, I doubt if I had used them for more than a few odd occasions so they are still as good as new and they only cost me thirty bob. They go nicely with the Milletts donkey jacket of similar vintage.

In my experience the most important thing is a good supply of warm dry socks and hot Bovril to keep the upper half warm on those cold foggy days when the left leg is being roasted by the BMC stove . . .

In my experience the most important thing is a good supply of warm dry socks and hot Bovril to keep the upper half warm on those cold foggy days when the left leg is being roasted by the BMC stove . . .

Do I sense the possibility of another debate about whether the new meat-free Bovril is a patch on the old beefy stuff ?

Do I sense the possibility of another debate about whether the new meat-free Bovril is a patch on the old beefy stuff ?

Not really. Bovril went back to proper meat after the EU lifted its export ban, in 2006.

What annoyed me is that it was only a few months ago that I learnt this, so I could have lifted my own personal boycott over a year sooner.

The lack of publicity may have annoyed some vegetarians even more, though.

Not really. Bovril went back to proper meat after the EU lifted its export ban, in 2006.

I had no idea - I stand corrected!

Edited to say.....

We are actually a "veggie" family, but go near neither Bovril nor mung bean.

It does piss us off when a supplier choses to change a product previously OK for vegetarians to one that is not, with no visible notification on the packaging. A good example would be yoghurts from certain manufactureres, where it was probably the "omega 3" change that first rendered them non veggie.

Sorry, :lol: , I know.

And yes, (back on topic), we do wear leather boots, so we are not "that" vegetarian..... (Can I say that, now Carrie has left us ?).

Edited by alan_fincher

I had no idea - I stand corrected!

Edited to say.....

We are actually a "veggie" family, but go near neither Bovril nor mung bean.

It does piss us off when a supplier choses to change a product previously OK for vegetarians to one that is not, with no visible notification on the packaging. A good example would be yoghurts from certain manufactureres, where it was probably the "omega 3" change that first rendered them non veggie.

Sorry, :lol: , I know.

And yes, (back on topic), we do wear leather boots, so we are not "that" vegetarian..... (Can I say that, now Carrie has left us ?).

Still :lol: But Yoghurt is a Milk by product - even less Veggie.

Edited by David Schweizer