Jam 'ole 2008

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Rather than resurrect this old thread I thought I would start a new one to ask about this.

I read in the HNBOC newsletter that there is to be a Jam 'ole re-run this year. I've emailed the contact given in the newsletter but have had no reply, so thought I would ask here, if anyone knows...

What is the scope for getting involved? Does anyone let relative novices on their boats? More realistically, what scope is there for following on foot? Are there any particularly good (or bad) places to station oneself to see the action? Is anyone on here going to be participating?

Any information very gratefully received.

Sarah

I THINK you've missed the 2008 one, it was back in January... http://inlandwaterways.piczo.com/jamolerun...;linkvar=000044

I don't know if there'll be one for 2009... try emailing the address on that page for more info?

Let us know what you find, I'm also interested :lol:

Oh no you haven't!!

It is planned for the 18th October 2008. Email Tom on the link Liam gave you Tom to get confirmation. Or email Phil Prettyman Chairman of the HNBOC who is taking Warbler so he should know what's going on.

And follwing on foot? I'm sure walking/running ahead with a windlass would be much more welcome!

Paul H

Hi,

Looks as though it will be as good as previous years. Could you all remember to shut at least one gate when you have finished with the lock please - I followed your boats one year and as a single boater it was interesting to have to keep shutting both gates before using the lock.

That aside have a good time.

Albi.

On one of my first ever trips in my boat, I was passed by the Jam'Olers. I had no idea who they were or what they were doing, but what a spectacle, I was amazed! One of the high points of all my time narrowboating!

It is all very well seeing preserved boats, even old boats still working by selling coal and gas, but to see them being really 'worked' was an absolute joy. I did hear some negative comment afterwards that they were pushing hard, perhaps ignoring other boaters, leaving gates open etc. but this was the stuff of the working boats. I totally applaud these guys for preserving a living history. Of course, some knocker will barrel in now and say they are doing it all wrong so it is invalid, but I am not interested, it is close enough for me. Hopefully I will try to get up to Bulls Bridge, or even the Jam'Ole itself (blue bin by the factory wall) to catch a glimpse. Good luck to them, I am really looking forward to it!

jole1.jpg

jole2.jpg

jole3.jpg

jole4.jpg

I remember the originals well and knew all the crews, all three pairs pased our moorings every week. We knew the Brays better than the Whitlocks and Collins's, as they used to moor opposite us every most Saturday or Sunday evening. If they were not going to the Cinema in Uxbridge, they often moored in front of us on our moorings.

However, in all those years I never heard any of them refer to the journey as the Jam 'ole run. Now maybe I just didn't listen or understand what they were saying, or maybe this is another bit of invented Canal history. Does anyone have any conclusive evidence that either the Blue Line crews or anyone else at the time used this phrase to describe the journey. I meant to ask Joan Whitlock when I met her easrlier this year in Braunston, but we got so involved in other recollections that it slipped my mind.

Edited by David Schweizer

How long does it go on for? Who's actually going... does anybody need a hand, I have my own windlass ! :lol:

I think they are starting from Braunston Marina, popping up to Atherstone and then heading back south.

I'm not sure of the stops, but bassed on past years probably first night at the top of Stoke Bruerne Flight.

then down the south end, they normally tie up at the bottom of Marsworth Flight in time for last orders, then next night at Rickmansworth, then have an easy day down to Bulls Bridge.

It depends how early they start, how busy it is, if there are many slow coaches about that won't let them past.

OK so now i've looked at the IWA site and seen the schedule so they are not stopping at the usual pubs then...

Simon

Bristol & Argo (not doing it)

edit as i spell rong

edit again having followed the link to IWA

Edited by bristol & argo

Couldn't find the info on the IWA site.

Could you copy it to this page ?

Ta

Some details here including a contact email address :- http://home.freeuk.com/braunston/Braunston/Cnews.htm

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi Folks,

Just to confirm things, here is this years schedule:

Saturday 18th - Depart Braunston 09.00 to the sound of the church bells. Arrive at Atherstone, turn and moor up for the night. Pub: Maid of the Mill

Sunday 19th - Depart 04.30. Tie up just south of Weedon at bridge 26. Pub: The Narrowboat.

Monday 20th – Depart 05.00. Tie up in Marsworth, Bridge 130, just below Marsworth flight. Pub: The Red Lion

Tuesday 21st – Depart 05.00. Tie up Batchworth, below Batchworth Lock, Bridge 173. Pub: The White Bear

Wednesday 22nd – Depart 07.00. Gather at Tesco’s opposite Bulls Bridge for supplies. Then, in convoy pull round to the Jam Ole Site and Moor up. Flowers can be placed at the site of the entrance to the basin. Then proceed to Willowtree Marina for night.

Thursday 23rd – Depart 04.30. Tie up below Marsworth flight, Bridge 132. Pub: The White Lion.

Friday 24th – Depart 05.00. Tie up at top of Stoke Bruerne flight. Pub: The Boat Inn

Saturday 25th – Depart 06.00. Tie up Braunston Marina. Pub: The Plough

If you want to help with locks (or just watch the fun), we will be at the following locks/places:

Hilmorton Locks: 11am (Saturday), 12:30pm (Sunday)

Braunston Locks: 15:30 (1st Sunday), Midafternoon (2nd Saturday)

Buckby: 17:00 (1st Sunday), afternoon (2nd Saturday)

Stoke Bruerne: 8:00am (Monday), late (Friday)

Soulbury Three: 3:00pm (Monday), 9am (Friday)

Marsworth: 5am (Tuesday), late (Thursday)

Winkwell: Midday (Tuesday), 2:30pm (Thursday)

Rickmansworth: 6pm (Tuesday), 10am (Thursday)

Cowley: 11am (Wednesday), 6am (Thursday)

Jam Ole: 2pm (Wednesday)

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

• 2 weeks later...

So, is anyone on here participating or tagging along? We are hoping to get the train, on Tuesday, towards Hemel and try to cross paths along that stretch. The problem is, we would get to Hemel about 1230 by which time, if those timings above still hold, the boats will have passed. So we would be looking at getting off the train further down at Apsley or Kings Langley, but I don't know how far the station is from the canal at those points or how to get to it. Can anyone help or offer any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sarah

Stations at Tring, Berkhamsted, Hemel Hempstead, Apley & Kings Langley are all easy walking distance from the cut.

(A few hundred yards maximum in most cases, I'd have thought, without actually dragging a map out).

It's only by Watford that the Grand Union and the Euston railway line have parted company.

Apsley & Kings Langley are far more minor, and likely to be served by far fewer trains, probably meaning a change at one of the more important stops.

Now do I get the old tub out, and potter along slowly single handing in front of them? :lol:

Alan

Hi sarah,

I'd be very tempted so as not to miss any action to get the bikes out, and drive down, then 'you cant fail' to cross them somewhere, what you dont want is to spend time and dosh gettin to Hemel to just miss the spectacle !!

Or even hire bikes for the day,,, whatever,

martin ( it wont be right though, unless theyre pairs , motor n butty )

OK this is cutting it a bit fine because we are dependent on cheap tickets that mean we can't leave home until ten, but if we got to Apsley at 1233/Kings Langley at 1229 do those in the know think that would work?

Does anyone know how many boats are participating? I never did get a reply from Tom at HNBOC.

I see the point about bikes but as I have to go back into London in the evening (hopefully I'm going to be becoming the marketing officer for the Camden Canals and Narrowboat Association, so I can't miss that - I got to steer Tarporley on Saturday, I was in heaven) that's not really a goer.

edited after rethink - mmm, yes, I think perhaps we should drive up.

Edited by WarriorWoman

Sarah,

It's hard to say how fast they will be able to go.

The schedule above has them leaving Marsworth, (bottom of flight) at 05:00, and wiuth destination as Rickmansworth.

CanalPlanAC, depending on how you set your preferences says something like 13 hours, meaning arrival in Ricky around 18:00

It says 9 hours (roughly) to Kings Langley, so they probably will not be passing through there until 14:00 (ish), so you should catch them easily.

Apsley is more like 8 hours, so passing maybe 13:00. That's tighter, so if you go for that option, you really need to have someone else you can call to know whether they are north or south of that point.

However much is the canal is viewable from the train. so there is every chance you may see some of them before having to make a decision about where to get of.

Of course if they really cane it, they could pass ahead of these times. I don't know how many boats are involved, and there is a physical time limit on turning many of the locks, a lot of which no longer have gate paddles, and take a while to fill.

I may even take a look myself, but do hope they behave themselves, as rightly or wrongly some previous years have attracted bad press, which is a shame, as it should be just a bit of fun.

Alan

Does anyone know how many boats are participating? I never did get a reply from Tom at HNBOC.

Hi,

Quite a few boats have dropped out of the Jam 'Ole run this year, below is a list of the seven boats attending the run

Little Woolwich motor CORONA

Modern boat SHOESTRING

Large Northwich STANTON (possibly)

C&C motor SWALLOW

Middle Northwich THEA

Large Northwich TOWCESTER

Small Northwich WARBLER

Kind Regards

Matt

Hi,

Quite a few boats have dropped out of the Jam 'Ole run this year, below is a list of the seven boats attending the run

Little Woolwich motor CORONA

Modern boat SHOESTRING

Large Northwich STANTON (possibly)

C&C motor SWALLOW

Middle Northwich THEA

Large Northwich TOWCESTER

Small Northwich WARBLER

Kind Regards

Matt

Where are the butties? I want to see pairs!

Where are the butties? I want to see pairs!

Yes,

If that's it, it's a bit of a shame, isn't it?

I'm sure a line of motors working their way down will still be an impressive sight, but in all honesty not too close to my memories of the boats as they came through.

(OK, before any wise guy tells us, I know that Stanton was worked as a single motor by the Collins, after Belmont was retired.)

I would just like to say that I am very proud of what Tom has achieved in organising the Jam Ole for 2008. I'm his mum and know that he has put in a lot of effort in arranging what hopes to be a very successful trip. I think if you bear in mind he only turned 17 in September this year it is some achievement!! He has a huge passion for working boats and has taken great pride in organising this years Jam Ole.

I apologise to anyone who hasn't received a reply from Tom in the lead up to the run but as well as organising this he has sat his GCSE's and started a full time job working with his Dad...I know he already has plans to organise another run in 2010 which he wants to be the biggest and best ever.

I will try and contact him each day and add updates onto this site to inform you how they are getting along :lol:

Sarah Stewart (a proud mum) :lol: