portland basin

gaggle

Featured Posts

I have no connection with WCBS.

And, John Orentas, some comment please?

Not sure that anyone wants any more comments from me, 76 posts on a topic that is not a complex one, but it is one I know just a little about it, I have known the area for a long time and I live only a matter of twenty minutes away.. What we do not need on this type of post is a 'Rabble Rouser' with no knowledge whatsoever of the subject sitting in the middle attempting to wind everyone up over it..

This is not a class issue or even a pro or anti wooden boat one, but it is a total absurdity for a small group of know-alls to claim that 'Image' is not important, millions have been spent on this area by the local councils and others yet still the nearby population regard it as a trouble spot and a place to be avoided, and those are the very people who have footed the bill..

And at the centre of it all, a collection of derelict barely floating boats which are an eyesore to locals and passers by alike and living on them in third world slum conditions a motley collection of very unattractive people, they don't even go through the motions of restoring or even preserving the boats that they have been given custody of.. The matter of Chris Leah and his historic boat Lilith is a total red herring, he may visit occasionally but I have never seen him there and I am not convinced that he would be flattered by his name being used so freely to justify what is going on.

Not sure that anyone wants any more comments from me, 76 posts on a topic that is not a complex one, but it is one I know just a little about it, I have known the area for a long time and I live only a matter of twenty minutes away.. What we do not need on this type of post is a 'Rabble Rouser' with no knowledge whatsoever of the subject sitting in the middle attempting to wind everyone up over it..

This is not a class issue or even a pro or anti wooden boat one, but it is a total absurdity for a small group of know-alls to claim that 'Image' is not important, millions have been spent on this area by the local councils and others yet still the nearby population regard it as a trouble spot and a place to be avoided, and those are the very people who have footed the bill..

And at the centre of it all, a collection of derelict barely floating boats which are an eyesore to locals and passers by alike and living on them in third world slum conditions a motley collection of very unattractive people, they don't even go through the motions of restoring or even preserving the boats that they have been given custody of.. The matter of Chris Leah and his historic boat Lilith is a total red herring, he may visit occasionally but I have never seen him there and I am not convinced that he would be flattered by his name being used so freely to justify what is going on.

You have simply repeated the blatant untruths again.

Right, I am sitting in the middle now. I'm not a rabble rouser with no knowledge whatsoever of the subject. I am a local. I moor 2 miles away, and live about the same distance away. I cruise down there regularly, and am at the museum every couple of weeks picking stepdaughter up from work.

I simply do not recognise the picture that you paint

You assert that the locals find it an eyesore, yet there have been several posts from people who are far more local than you contradicting this, and none supporting your assertion.

You make some extremely unpleasant personal remarks about the people there, which frankly say more about you than they say about the people at Portland Basin

You claim that Chris Leah "may visit occasionally", despite people who know the area telling you that he is there regularly. It is rare indeed that I go past without finding Chris there. If he isn't there, he's probably out on the market raising funds for the society.

Your initial remarks were out of order, and your refusal to accept that, coupled with repeating the same untruths really isn't on.

even if the assertions in the 2nd paragraph above were true, which we have heard from several reputable sources that they are not, you have still not made any connection between the two despite being told by people with far better local knowledge than you that there isn't one.

I have highlighted the assertions that are contradicted by people in this thread for which you have failed to produce any supporting evidence.

And we are up against the laws of physics again here, i fail to see how a boat can be 'barely floating' surely it either does float or it does not.

I had up until now considered you to be an honourable man, please John do the honourable thing; apologies and contribute financially to the restoration of these boats.

or is it also your contention that they should not be saved?

I have said my last words on this matter, I am sure that other members are as bored with as I am..

I don't need any lessons from you as to what is 'honourable', I am however just slightly intrigued why someone who moors and probably lives on the Kennet & Avon canal should take such interest and have such an in depth knowledge of this interminable and very local matter.

Do you merely seek to ape these people, do you see yourself with an adz over your shoulder, a red hankie around your neck, hands horny with honest toil and a cheerie boatbuilders song in your heart.. Well you may be surprised that this situation and life in general is not like that.

I have said my last words on this matter, I am sure that other members are as bored with as I am..

I don't need any lessons from you as to what is 'honourable', I am however just slightly intrigued why someone who moors and probably lives on the Kennet & Avon canal should take such interest and have such an in depth knowledge of this interminable and very local matter.

Do you merely seek to ape these people, do you see yourself with an adz over your shoulder, a red hankie around your neck, hands horny with honest toil and a cheerie boatbuilders song in your heart.. Well you may be surprised that this situation and life in general is not like that.

You say that but Chris Pink and Mayalld just agreed on something, thats the point.

:lol:

It is interesting that you choose to argue the point only with Chris (against whom you use the "not local" argument, but you don't want to address the self same arguments from locals)

How are you sure that others are bored? Have you asked them?

I for one am very interested to learn whether you intend to continue digging yourself a hole, and not at all bored.

I don't need any lessons from you as to what is 'honourable'

I think maybe you do.

I am however just slightly intrigued why someone who moors and probably lives on the Kennet & Avon canal should take such interest and have such an in depth knowledge of this interminable and very local matter.

I would have thought that these wooden boats were part of our heritage and should be the concern of all of whatever locality. I am on the Kennet and Avon at the moment but I would be very glad to have such a resource of knowledge local to wherever I am.

I think you're a little out of date, John, most wooden boat builders use a chainsaw and power plane these days and the hankie is certainly not PPE. Red is not my colour anyway.

But as a musician i would be interested to learn the boatbuilder's songs from you, cheery or not. or this another irrelevant-in-the-modern-age piece of 'eritage better buried?

I am a WCBS volunteer. You can generally find me and other volunteers working on the boats on Wednesday's and Friday's. The above comment is ill-informed to say the least. During the summer (or what passes for summer nowadays) we have completed a number of vital tasks on "Southam". This includes relacing all the floor bearers and decking and extensive work on the roof. Our biggest hindrance is the weather as we do not have any shelter from the elements and so we are unable to use power tools in the rain. Roll on the completion of the Heritage Boatyard in Stalybridge where we will have a workshop.

I don't consider myself to be "very unattractive" although I am no oil painting!Perhaps John would like to pay us a visit on Friday to confirm or otherwise!

No one actually "lives" on the boats. What we do have is the occasional "boat sitter" who spends the odd night or so on board.

The activities of the WCBS are wide ranging and include the monthly re-cycling trips; the Charity Shop and Market Stall activities and the boat restoration work at both Portland Basin and the Heritage Boatyard. Chris is involved in all of these activities and has to allocate his time on a "needs" basis. Therefore, we don't see an awful lot of him at PB but he is generally around at some time or another during the day.

Yawn...

Can we please bring the topic back on track, otherwise the topic shall be closed as arguing between yourselves isn't very productive

It's very entertaining, actually, and interesting. I'm an outsider to it (other than that I like tatty old boats better than shiny new ones and passed by there the year before last and thought, oh, that looks interesting, what a shame it's raining so hard I can't stop and have a better look), but the arguments from most of the 'pro-WCBS' people are, in this thread, an object lesson in how to make a case calmly and convincingly.

Yawn...

Can we please bring the topic back on track, otherwise the topic shall be closed as arguing between yourselves isn't very productive

this i just dont understand , it is a discussion on a site called canal wolrd DISCUSSIONS.

Please leave it be....I'm finding it both interesting and informative, hearing differing views on this subject. I don't see that this is a thread that requires moderator intervention at the moment.

We've been past the place in question several times, and it's interesting to hear just what's going on with the boats there. First impressions aren't good, but now knowing about the background, perhaps we'll think differently in the future.

Janet

If the boats aren't yours and the moorings aren't yours then it's none of your business what they do with them or how they keep them.

On the question of taste and attractive boats, I draw your attention to a boater who thought a huge, badly painted black cat, painted on his rear bulkhead, was aesthetically pleasing. There is no accounting for taste.

To each his own.....

I will try not to be funny but....

I live in the area and pass it on my push bike regular.

The guy who runs the boat collecting rubbish dumped in the canal is doing good.

Im not sure who he is but hes always around Portland Basin and on every occasion i have seen him i find him to be a miserable person.Not exactly friendly unlike others he dont even bother sayingng hello despite wearing that daft hat. Must have a dry sense of humour i guess.

The old boats should be lifted out of the water to make way for moorings and stuck in the museum not left on the water.

As for the marina there are some nice people living there.

Im afraid im with John as like myself he sees the facts before him.

As for setting loose a boat that is out of order they could have at least moved it leaving a note.

Not exactly something done by someone who is supposed to represent canal heritage is it.

I live in the area. I know three of the people on the boats to say hi to. I've only talked to the guy in the hat. He's had a bit of depression and his wife is ill. Perhaps we should have a bit of patience with him when he doesn't look too good. Whatever's wrong with him it doesn't stop him from doing things.

The worst thing you can do with a wooden boat is lift it out of the water. It will dry out and you won't have anything left.

I love sitting in my window looking at the wooden boats. I'd rather have them than the modern ones.

I have said my last words on this matter

Am I missing something here? John Orentas dosen't appear to have posted anything more on this topic for some time yet people still feel the need to respond as if he is still in the ring.

The topic developed into an interesting debate, with several new members joining in, to express alternative opinions and interpretations. That is what this forum is about and it is not an excuse for either side of the debate to resort to personal insults.

Well I'm going to quote Gibbo...

Orentas you're a know nothing!

Edited because I got told off for speaking my mind.

Is quoting norty?

I saw you're original message Smelly and it wasn't that bad. In fact it was nothing compared with what he's called me and my friends over the past year. Why are you 'told off' and he can say what he likes. Is there something even smellier than you going on?

I've read through the whole of this topic now. I think it is safe to say that the following has been established:

1) People have different views on the basin - fair enough, each to their own.

2) There are 2 different kinds of people, the volunteers and the drunks.

3) John hasn't responded to this topic for a couple of days, lets let the the heat simmer down shall we?

4) Moderators do need to watch this topic, and will intervene where necessary.

Let's leave the personal stuff. Any more constructive additions to this debate?

I've read through the whole of this topic now. I think it is safe to say that the following has been established:

1) People have different views on the basin - fair enough, each to their own.

2) There are 2 different kinds of people, the volunteers and the drunks.

3) John hasn't responded to this topic for a couple of days, lets let the the heat simmer down shall we?

4) Moderators do need to watch this topic, and will intervene where necessary.

Let's leave the personal stuff. Any more constructive additions to this debate?

Fair enough. However, I'd like to point out that we've been over all this before and it's rather wearing to have to explain yourself over and over again. I would suggest that moderators intervene sooner and wish they had done last year when we were grossly insulted in the first place.

perhaps some of the LOCAL PEOPLE can shoot round there in the morning and take some up to date photo,s of the boats being discussed and post them here so we can all see the state of repair at the moment.

if the basin does give the impression of deriliction with the wooden boats and scrap metal and old bric a brac and the likes then it is hardly suprising that the area attracts some people that are less than welcome , if these people are congregating round the basin because it looks uncared for then it should be of concern for any boaters who may pass that way.

it does not matter one way ot the other if the boats there are wooden or not , if metal boats were there piled high with pallets,old bread trays and scrap metal they would still give out the message , who cares.