Near Miss In The Stoke Bruerne Flight.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I promise this is a genuine post, despite the coincidences to the strong views expressed from both sides in a recent thread.

We have just worked up the Stoke Bruerne flight. By summer standards it wasn't that busy, with no real queuing.

At the second lock down from the top we had a very lengthy wait for two boats we were assured were coming down (eventually!).

Finally two boats arrived, one a seasoned single hander in a replica boat, and the other a family on a hire boat.

Initially we allowed ourselves to be mesmerised by the hire boaters, who had wrapped ropes around bollards, that appeared in danger of hanging them as the lock , when I became aware that the boat was far too far back.

It "cilled", and the front was going down alarmingly, with both bottom paddles long since fully wound. As steerer, I had only come to the lock-side because of an extended delay, but fortunately had picked up a windlass. So I was able to get bottom paddles down quickly, nobody else having noticed what was happening.

By then the boat was well nose down, and not showing a lot of side at the front.

Fortunately the boat was re-floated OK, and much to my amazement, the steering still seemed to work. It's position was such that it would definitely have been supported on the skeg, rather than either the rudder blade, or the base-plate.

We tried to refuse a bottle of wine from the very grateful hirers, but they were completely insistant. :lol:

The lock had the new notices warning about the cill, attached to the top gates, (as did all in the Stoke flight).

When I spoke to the steerer he said he knew about cills, but didn't think they stuck out as far. He was on it by at least two feet, and the white painted markers were much more prominent than at some locks.

Although I could post pictures of the boat still grounded, and in process of being gently re-floated, I will not, as I do not wish to make life difficult for the unfortunate hirers.

We are absolutely certain that had we not been there, this would have been a sinking.

Alan

(Current cruise location : a very blissful Blisworth - opposite forum member's boat Syncopaton)

Well done for saving the day! Obviously the only answer to this problem is... BIGGER NOTICES! :lol:

Yes and well done from me too - a sobering reminder to all that to take "the eye off the road for a moment" can easily result in disaster a few moments later... :lol:

Nick

...a sobering reminder to all that to take "the eye off the road for a moment" can easily result in disaster a few moments later...

I know the feeling in a slightly different situation two days ago as we were coming up the Wigan flight in double width locks two-handed. I was trying to speed things up by doing the paddles one side while my wife did the paddles the other side. The boat, while tied to a bollard by the centre rope, got swung about by the turbulence and started being pulled forward by the swell. I went back to pull back on the rope but I couldn't prevent the front fender catching on the lock gate. I yelled to my wife to drop the paddles her side as quickly as she could as I dropped my side. However, I don't think she appreciated the possible consequences as much as I did until she saw water flooding into the well deck through the scuppers. Meanwhile I had run down to the other end to open a bottom paddle.

Fortunately no harm done - but definately a case of more haste less speed. We've taken alot more care of keeping the boat away from the gates when we are both on the lock side. And today I've replace the two shackle pins holding the front fenders on with plastic tie wraps which I hope will provide the "weak link" such that in a future occurence they would snap and release the boat. A lesson learned I think!!! :lol: //Mike

Hi Alan.

Sounds like a bottle of wine was small recompense given the possible disaster you averted.

Despite the obvious 'stay away from the cill' could you put together a sort of action plan of what to do and in what order if I found myself or someone else in this situation.

I note you got the bottom paddles down first.

What did you do then? Just let the water in to re-float or?

After reading that some of the other members have had instances I'd like a little guidance.

Nb Alwnick had a problem with the front fender getting caught and I was reading a blog earlier were the lock filled from the side and at some time the boat had got pushed to the opposite side and something caught and caused the boat to tip quite violently so these occurences do happen fairly often it seems.

Any kind of guidance would be most helpful and as there are a few other newbies on the site they may be interested as well.

Thanks

Alan and Mike, I appreciate your postings. Reading about these two incidents certainly concentrates the mind!

Stewey

Despite the obvious 'stay away from the cill' could you put together a sort of action plan of what to do and in what order if I found myself or someone else in this situation.

That would be great

Any kind of guidance would be most helpful and as there are a few other newbies on the site they may be interested as well.

Me for a start!

I note you got the bottom paddles down first.

What did you do then? Just let the water in to re-float or?

Yes,

In this case of rear end of boat "cilled" whilst descending lock, the priority is to stop the front going any lower.

So obviously stop emptying the lock, so bottom paddles down fast, as quickly as it can be safely achieved.

Our preference would then have been to refloat slowly, by gentle use of ground paddles at the top end. Despite suggesting this, the single hander they were sharing with decided to whack them straight up. I felt the turbulence created increased the risk, but it obviously turned out OK.

I genuinely think, despite the scare, that the hirers didn't realise how close they came to a sinking.

I'm not sure I have a pre-planned strategy for every possible unexpected lock event, (bow fender caught, hung on obstruction on side, etc., etc).

Just do whatever is necessary to stop things worsening, (usually this means get paddles down), then, once stabilised, work out what needs to happen next.

Alan & family, (having thankfully arrived at Braunston with no new dramas since Blisworth)

May I add a further point - about mats of reeds.

Whilst cruising the Caldon earlier this year a clump of reeds was pushed into the lock by the bows unseen by anyone and rolled down the side between the boat and lock side. when the paddles were opened (going down) the reeds wedged the boat at about one third of the length. The water was within an inch of flooding the back deck by the time we dropped the paddles. Thank goodness the crew were on the ball when I started frantically shouting and blowing the horn.

5th

Well Done Alan: a virtual pint is in order

:lol:

Everyone though, especially newbies, regardless of signs, warnings, etc the best thing to do is to avoid getting into this mess in the first place. Whoever is on the paddles should stay with the paddle ready to drop it immediately should anything untoward happen, and be watching the boat.

And I'd agree that the best way out once the situation is stabilised is to gently raise one paddle half way to refill the lock: as the water level rises the boat may rock and jam, or slip off the cill or whatever. If your trying to rescue a boat that has become trapped going up hill you may need more urgency though!

And another pint for Alan

Yes,

In this case of rear end of boat "cilled" whilst descending lock, the priority is to stop the front going any lower.

So obviously stop emptying the lock, so bottom paddles down fast, as quickly as it can be safely achieved.

Our preference would then have been to refloat slowly, by gentle use of ground paddles at the top end. Despite suggesting this, the single hander they were sharing with decided to whack them straight up. I felt the turbulence created increased the risk, but it obviously turned out OK.

I genuinely think, despite the scare, that the hirers didn't realise how close they came to a sinking.

I'm not sure I have a pre-planned strategy for every possible unexpected lock event, (bow fender caught, hung on obstruction on side, etc., etc).

Just do whatever is necessary to stop things worsening, (usually this means get paddles down), then, once stabilised, work out what needs to happen next.

Alan & family, (having thankfully arrived at Braunston with no new dramas since Blisworth)

It seems that the all important thing is to get the bottom paddles down as fast as possible and then as you say work out what's best to get the boat back to the correct level.

Thanks for the advice.

ps

Now all I've got to worry about is stealth boats in tunnels! :lol:

I always wonder about the wisdom of dropping paddles without any support, and think Alan's "as quickly and safely as possible" comment is well placed.

Recently a crew on a camping boat severely damaged the paddles on Farmers Bridge no 2 having dropped them, it emptied the pound quite quickly and had that have happened with Alan's hirers they'd have been in even more serious trouble and the boat would have foundered.

Plus many moons ago I took the tip of my index finger off having dropped a paddle on no15 at Marple for an old hogged wooden boat that was wedged in the chamber. I didn't even know I'd done it until someone said "what have you done to your finger"; I lifted it up and the end, nail and all, fell off, left dangling by a sinew. Still don't know for sure how I managed it but reckon it must have been between the pawl and cog.

And another pint! :lol:

Well Done Alan: a virtual pint is in order

Everyone though, especially newbies, regardless of signs, warnings, etc the best thing to do is to avoid getting into this mess in the first place. Whoever is on the paddles should stay with the paddle ready to drop it immediately should anything untoward happen, and be watching the boat.

And I'd agree that the best way out once the situation is stabilised is to gently raise one paddle half way to refill the lock: as the water level rises the boat may rock and jam, or slip off the cill or whatever. If your trying to rescue a boat that has become trapped going up hill you may need more urgency though!

And another pint for Alan

I`m from Yorkshire so it is with difficulty that I too award Alan a pint. This after checking the meaning of "virtual." Well done. Elsewhere I`ve said a lot about boating skills - so I`ll say it here too. The answer is knowledge through proper training. Boating can be dangerous - so why do we let total novices and even experienced boaters who just never learn loose about the place. If you are about to strike an obstacle in a car you do an emergency stop and you must prove that you are able to do so before you can get a license. You also need a working knowledge of the Highway Code, an understanding of gearchanging and steering , demonstrate sufficient observation etc etc. On a boat - zilch. It is no-one heres fault if they don`t know how to behave in various dangerous boating circumstances - as things are you only learn there is a potential hazard when it bites you. Then you learn bloody quick or else.It`s the fault of those in authority who deem it a satisfactory situation , hire boat operators who don`t give adequate instruction ( and yes of course there are those who do ), those who think they don`t NEED instruction and idiots who haven`t got the imagination to see when absolute concentration is necessary.

We all need to help as best we can before the H&S eejits at BW blame it all on the canal . When they do that - well ,we get three useless and potentially dangerous bollards by every lock for a start.What next ?

Phil

Ok... also have to put my hand up to having slightly cilled it at Stoke Bruene (but guess it can be done anywhere!)

2nd weekend we had the boat - coming south - into a full lock on a sunny day only around 50 people watching..

I was at the stern and SWMBO opened the paddles in normal fashion.. i was attempting to hold the boat a couple of feet from the front to stop cacthing the front fender..at 70 ft misjudged the rear clearance.. when she drifted back gently and start to sit on the cill... I did realise it was about to happen - but in the time available couldnt move her forward enough - a quick shout and we sorted with only red faces and not much drama... and a slight bow down curtsey to swmbo as I put it... I now pay a lot more attention to the pospition and on gates where we wont hand the fender leave her in gear etc..or use the centre rope to hold on a running belay (friction hitch over a suitabley positioned bollard) and once past the cill hope back on board...

only let her drift a fair way across a double lock once without a rope... as you only do it once to know its a sod to deal with in a dignified manner... more beers offered in prayer that night!!.. (solution - open a paddle on one side for a couple mins and wait for the water flow to nudge her more to one side, ... get rope, shut paddle, carry one...

I noticed when going up some locks today. The new cill notices face you and say - 'Keep boat forward of cill marker'. On some locks this is an invitation for disaster, either catching the front on the gates or filling the front with water from the leaking gates.

Sue

I noticed when going up some locks today. The new cill notices face you and say - 'Keep boat forward of cill marker'. On some locks this is an invitation for disaster, either catching the front on the gates or filling the front with water from the leaking gates.

Sue

I don`t understand why people are so averse these days to having the nose of the boat touching the top gate . Unless a boat is designed with no knowledge of all it`s functions it should ride down the gate quite naturally - provided again that the front fender has been intelligently mounted. The lock gate itself , and the face of the cill , are designed to accommodate this. Remember , the boats originally fitted the locks - so provision had to be made , and technique designed, for the stem to be touching the gate. Beyond that , you must have a person by the top gate - who else is going to open the paddles - and a part of that person`s responsibility is to be sure the boat isn`t hanging on the gate.All it takes is a gentle push even if the boat is in gear - which mine would be. Then if the boat DOES hang up , which it wouldn`t , the same person is on hand to immediately close the paddles. Don`t wander about taking pictures and admiring the scenery , or stand and gossip when working a lock. Take the job seriously and CONCENTRATE.

Phil

The lock gate itself , and the face of the cill , are designed to accommodate this. Remember , the boats originally fitted the locks - so provision had to be made , and technique designed, for the stem to be touching the gate. Beyond that , you must have a person by the top gate - who else is going to open the paddles - and a part of that person`s responsibility is to be sure the boat isn`t hanging on the gate. All it takes is a gentle push even if the boat is in gear - which mine would be. Then if the boat DOES hang up , which it wouldn`t , the same person is on hand to immediately close the paddles. Don`t wander about taking pictures and admiring the scenery , or stand and gossip when working a lock. Take the job seriously and CONCENTRATE.

The voice of common sense, reason and experience, very well put Phil.

Debate closed (?)

Sadly there are still folk vehemently opposed to the practice of having your boat in gear, in a lock so the debate, I'm sure, will drag on and on.

Those folk should keep their nose out of what I do with MY boat in a lock, and do it their way with THEIR boat!

I want in with the grumbling. I have always been told not to have fenders down when going through locks. The other day a woman specifically put her fenders down to go throught a lock and was then supprised when the fender got caught on the ladder when she came out. She seemed quite supprised when the bango tight rope snapped like a gun firing.

Can some one clarify the fender up (on the roof etc) or down (in the water) opinions

Tim

Sadly there are still folk vehemently opposed to the practice of having your boat in gear, in a lock so the debate, I'm sure, will drag on and on.

Well a combination of Viscount St David, author of the Watney's book of Inland Waterways (or somesuch), the best book on boat handling and inland waterways etiquette I've ever come across, Phil Speight and Post #13 would convince me.

I want in with the grumbling. I have always been told not to have fenders down when going through locks. The other day a woman specifically put her fenders down to go throught a lock and was then supprised when the fender got caught on the ladder when she came out. She seemed quite supprised when the bango tight rope snapped like a gun firing.

Can some one clarify the fender up (on the roof etc) or down (in the water) opinions

Tim

I never have fenders out, when underway.

I drop fenders when mooring up but not for locks.

The only fenders in use, on my boat, when underway are the tipcat and button fenders, protecting the rudder.

I never have fenders out, when underway.

I drop fenders when mooring up but not for locks.

The only fenders in use, on my boat, when underway are the tipcat and button fenders, protecting the rudder.

Jolly good i can feel slightly more smug at the look she gave me a as my unfendered boat sat next to her in the lock.

Tim

Confession time;

I forgot to raise a tyre on a dumb narrow boat I was bowhauling through a lock a while back and successfully jammed myself and another boat against the side walls.

I had to leap up the ladder and instruct the lock crew (not mine) in emergency procedures who were in a hurry but inadequately trained, one for instance not realising the use of the pawl.

So yes it is advised to raise side-fenders in a lock, especially in those that are a tight fit.

....and everywhere else too - the clue is in the name.

Tim

Certainly.

Except when mooring, fenders belong in the locker, lest some misguided individual should try to use them.

Confession time;

I forgot to raise a tyre on a dumb boat I was bowhauling through a lock a while back and successfully jammed myself and another boat against the side walls.

I had to leap up the ladder and instruct the lock crew (not mine) in emergency procedures who were in a hurry but inadequately trained, one for instance not realising the use of the pawl.

So yes it is advised to raise side-fenders in a lock, especially in those that are a tight fit.

....and everywhere else too - the clue is in the name.