Cruising confidence - how to get it (and keep it) as a newbie

tws

Featured Posts

Hello to all :lol:

As the title says, really, all sorts of hints, tips and advice needed on how to develop cruising confidence when new to the waterways, and how not to lose it over time spent between cruises.

To introduce myself (briefly) I'm new to life afloat and very much enjoying the peace and quiet of my new routine.

The first few weeks have been full of learning and new experiences, by far the newest of which being my first cruise in my new abode to my "home" (marina) mooring.

Lovely as it is where I am, like others I'm rapidly becoming less enchanted with marina life and looking forward to planning either a few weeks of cruising or taking the plunge altogether and finding that highly elusive on line mooring, bidding goodbye to the marina for good.

Question is, how best to convince myself I have any kind of cruising competance... I won't be single handed, but with a crew of friends/family similarly lacking in experience. I fear the longer I stay put the more I'll put myself off getting out and about, and forget about all the good bits!

I did invest in the one day RYA helmsmans course earlier in the summer, and it did boost my confidence a lot. Any other pointers gratefully received!

The best advice I can give is don't hurry. Thats the most important thing. Soon as you try to hurry, it stops being fun. I don't think it matters if your family and friends have no experience. As long as they know the most important things, such as what a cill is and why you must keep away from it, they can be a great help.

I reckon the best possible thing is to get lots of practice - preferably find someone experienced that you get on well with, who is a good and patient teacher, and (as with learning to drive a car) not a close relative - who can either give you practice on their boat or can accompany you on yours, in a variety of weather conditions until you have built up enough confidence that it's become second nature.

Don't expect to become perfect straight away. After over 40 years I'm still in awe of how feeble my efforts are when compared to the professional boatmen. So don't let minor mistakes put you off. If you are still floating at the end of each day, then you've done OK

The three P's... Practice Practice Practice.

It'll come to you over time, no need to rush into things. The more time you spend playing with your boat the more you'll get used to it and the more you'll understand it when cruising along.

You could try the book "A Boaters guide to Boating" by Chris Deuchar. Quite cheap really and some very useful info.

As Lady M says, take it slow and after a few days away from the marina you'll have developed more confidence than you realised you could in such a short time. Ironically that's also the time to beware of over-confidence, but when things happen and you feel yourself starting to panic, at least try to make it look like you're not panicking. Eventually you'll even convince yourself!

On a more practical note, on your travels try going somewhere quiet and practice a "holding station" - stop the boat in the middle of the canal and see if you can just keep it in the same spot using gentle application of forward & reverse as well as the tiller to keep the bow where you want it. If there's any wind this will be more difficult. Along with reversing in a straight line this is one of the most difficult manouvres and it's a useful thing to be able to do if you're waiting for a lock for example and there's no room to moor up.

If you're not too confident with locks try to get someone experienced to take you through your first one - both uphill & downhill.

Hi

All of the above and remember any 'mistakes' are part of the learning curve. :lol:

If you do not make mistakes (better known as 'I meant to do that, just practising my skills') you will not learn, just take it steady, if you get into difficulty stop, asses your situation and decide what to do, if the first attempt does not solve the problem try something else.

You may already have this The Boaters Handbook from the Environment Agency (PDF download)

It will give you the basic but is not a substitute for getting out there and enjoying yourself.

It is more frightening, to worry about boating, than doing.

Happy boating.

I agree with the other sentiments. Take your time, enjoy the experience, but just be on your guard when coming to bends, bridges, operating locks, and once you have the basics conquered with lots of practice you will be much more confident.

Most of all, it is not a test. As others have said and we are all varying in experience, you never stop learning, but it should always be fun.

I won't be single handed, but with a crew of friends/family similarly lacking in experience.

Don't let them distract you - choose the most competent to be your 'first mate' and as captain lay down the law about who can do what when.

I'm thinking locks and paddles here, untrained helpers can be a bit of a hindrance if you are not too sure yourself.

Make sure they give you time to work everything through and don't go off on their own initiative - the older male crew are probably the ones to watch here.

I think the best way is probably a baptism of fire! Just go for it and when it goes wrong, laugh!

We're picking our boat up in 2 weeks (yay!) and will immediately begin a month-long cruise, including bits of the tidal Thames! I can't wait! We're not complete novices, and the other half is a cox, with very good boat-handling skills, but with just the two of us onboard as opposed to us helping out with experienced friends, its going to be interesting!

To echo all the previous posts, (1) lots of practice, (2) taking it slowly, and (3) not minding when it all goes to ratchet!

In locks, make sure everyone knows that the person on the R-send is in charge, and don't let them draw paddles as if they were in a transatlantic yacht race. Take it steadily, and if anything goes wrong, drop all paddles to stop water movement, then assess the situation.

But it'll be fun!

Don't listen to people who try and make a simple thing complicated!!

The pointy end is to show you the direction you should travel in.

The stick thing at the back that swings to the left or right is to help you move the pointy bit left or right.

The other stick thing that goes forward and backwards is to help you go forward at different speeds or just yank it backwards if you want to stop.

Once you have mastered those simple bits the rest falls into place.

dont forget your sense of humour. Just have fun, and if you get it wrong, apologise and giggle at yourself.

I have travelled with a stunningly incompetent crew and have found the following helpful

1. Do not rush

2. Step NOT jump off the boat

3. coil up the ropes when you are not using them

4. a human is more important than the boat so save yourself rather than 17tonnes of steel

5. Don't fend ANYTHING off with your feet or hands OR head

do everything slowly, there is no rush at all.

A sense of humour really helps too.

I keep hearing about this sense of humour on the cut - but it is not always there. I am also quite new to boating and do not get out on the cut much because of work at the moment. The first time I took the boat out with my friend, I took my sons to show them the 'fun'. We had a fab day - sunshine, swans, ducks grass snakes, wonderful for my urban sons. On returning to my berth in a marina - in a tight spot, my neighbour charged out ranting and raving like a mad thing, said if you hit my boat you'll pay for the damage blah, blah, blah. Frightened me to death - in fact I have not been out since except with the wonderful Tony who took my boys on their handling course. I offered abject apologies for making his boat go up and down a bit - did NOT hit his boat. His response was how would you like me to come round to your house and make it go up and down, and F*** off. He has since gone and I have lost all confidence. I was not even steering at the time. I thought he was going to offer to help! I will have to try again. Not easy for a single woman...................where is that dating link? Good luck.

I would have ticked him off for being bad mannered, and probably giggled at my incompetence (which I all I ever showed!). He would have also come out to be apologising frantically.

If you have a sense of humour it is easier to brush off nasty mishaps.

Being a single female doesn't make it worse or better.

I keep hearing about this sense of humour on the cut - but it is not always there. I am also quite new to boating and do not get out on the cut much because of work at the moment. The first time I took the boat out with my friend, I took my sons to show them the 'fun'. We had a fab day - sunshine, swans, ducks grass snakes, wonderful for my urban sons. On returning to my berth in a marina - in a tight spot, my neighbour charged out ranting and raving like a mad thing, said if you hit my boat you'll pay for the damage blah, blah, blah. Frightened me to death - in fact I have not been out since except with the wonderful Tony who took my boys on their handling course. I offered abject apologies for making his boat go up and down a bit - did NOT hit his boat. His response was how would you like me to come round to your house and make it go up and down, and F*** off. He has since gone and I have lost all confidence. I was not even steering at the time. I thought he was going to offer to help! I will have to try again. Not easy for a single woman...................where is that dating link? Good luck.

You should have told him that was no way to speak to a lady.

I supose you could have countered with "If you dont like bobing up and down you could try putting it on a hard standing. Bobing up and down is what boats do!"

The geezer sounds like an A-hole.

You should have told him that was no way to speak to a lady.

I supose you could have countered with "If you dont like bobing up and down you could try putting it on a hard standing. Bobing up and down is what boats do!"

I thought about telling him to go and live in a caravan in a field - but thought he was going to hit me! I also thought bobbing up and down was what boats did. I like that bit...................are we back to that dating thread?

Don't let them distract you - choose the most competent to be your 'first mate' and as captain lay down the law about who can do what when.

I'm thinking locks and paddles here, untrained helpers can be a bit of a hindrance if you are not too sure yourself.

Make sure they give you time to work everything through and don't go off on their own initiative - the older male crew are probably the ones to watch here.

If one of my crew is rubbish at boaty jobs, then they are put on dog duty or tea duty. At the first lock we explain whats required. For instance, only once you've recieved a thumbs up sign from the helmsman should you close/open the gates or drop/raise paddles.

It didn't stop my partners brother crashing the boat into the side really really hard on the last trip they did together (he was looking at a dog on the towpath, behind the boat).