cats on boats

lizzydoodrop

Featured Posts

I have lived on the boat now for 2 years I used to have a cat on the boat but he didn't like the engine noise or any noise come to think of it. He was 15 years old when he moved onto the boat and sadly died at new year. I am thinking of having another cat but wondered if cats were compatable with boats or do they all not like noise

I have lived on the boat now for 2 years I used to have a cat on the boat but he didn't like the engine noise or any noise come to think of it. He was 15 years old when he moved onto the boat and sadly died at new year. I am thinking of having another cat but wondered if cats were compatable with boats or do they all not like noise

I have seen loads of people with cats on boats and the cats are happy.

Taste just like chicken.

ok Coat

Hi Lizzy and welcome.

There are many boats with cats, that liveaboard, but you have to be prepared to wait for the cat to return, when it wishes to, so that you can move the boat. :lol:

Hi Lizzy and welcome.

There are many boats with cats, that liveaboard, but you have to be prepared to wait for the cat to return, when it wishes to, so that you can move the boat. :lol:

My cat seems happy.

D

Tried to post pic of happy cat but failed. What am i doing wrong.

Lizzy . . . .the probable reason why your last cat didn't really like the sound of your boat was that at the age of 15 he had already enjoyed a full life (presumably without the sound of a boat!) . . and objected to the change . .

I suggest that if you contact The Cats Protection League Cats they will be able to advise you, and they have a fabulous selection of cats and Kittens seeking new homes . . . . (possibly even floating ones)

Edited by Grace & Favour

We have lived on board with our two cats and two dogs since february this year, the cats love it especially our little Daisy who is the boss and also a prodigious hunter, so far we have not had to wait at all for the cats, they get into a routine and tend to go to bed when we cruise. Daisy is 6 years old and our other Cat is 17 years old. :lol:

We liveaboard with 2 cats & I was quite concerned at first as to how they would adapt ( they are both 5yrs old) but they love it! I was advised to dip their feet in so they would know it was wet, which we did & to date they haven't fallen in. But just in case I keep a landing net on the roof!

When we first cruised they hid under the sofa but now are quite used to it & Poppy likes to look out at the passing scenery.

I agree with Grace & Favour that your cat probably just didn't like the change - A younger cat will probably be fine. Good luck!

We have lived on board with our two cats and two dogs since february this year, the cats love it especially our little Daisy who is the boss and also a prodigious hunter, so far we have not had to wait at all for the cats, they get into a routine and tend to go to bed when we cruise. Daisy is 6 years old and our other Cat is 17 years old. :lol:

hunter of what exactly ? not birds i hope.

i cant understand why cat owners act as if the cats are cuter because they keep bringing other creatures they have killed back home.

if i let a dog out and it kept bringing dead cats home cat loving people would not accept that dogs and cats fight and would complain and say the dog owner needs arresting.

dirty filthy and sly is how i see cats and if i catch the cats that are digging my veg seedling up when they come to soil in my garden , they wont be leaving on foot.

i cant understand why cat owners act as if the cats are cuter because they keep bringing other creatures they have killed back home.

if i let a dog out and it kept bringing dead cats home cat loving people would not accept that dogs and cats fight and would complain and say the dog owner needs arresting.

dirty filthy and sly is how i see cats and if i catch the cats that are digging my veg seedling up when they come to soil in my garden , they wont be leaving on foot.

I was thinking of getting a cat too but was unsure if they would be fine, but i found this to be really useful http://www.mike-stevens.co.uk/aboutme/cats/faq.htm

great tips like always feeding at about 8 Am (you can get feeding bowls that open on a timer) so the cat will return in the morning so no hanging around if want to move the boat etc ...

I was thinking of getting a cat too but was unsure if they would be fine, but i found this to be really useful http://www.mike-stevens.co.uk/aboutme/cats/faq.htm

great tips like always feeding at about 8 Am (you can get feeding bowls that open on a timer) so the cat will return in the morning so no hanging around if want to move the boat etc ...

Does it mention all the times Mike had to wait for his cats to return? He spent rather a long time at Stoke Bruerne I recall.

Sue

gcwindsr.jpg

The above is an expert on the subject and having been consulted on this most important question, he has responded with the following question:

"Having studied the often neurotic behaviour of humans (especially when the dominant male is trying to give incomprehensible instructions to the equally dominant female), I would suggest that a more pertinent question is: are they (humans) compatable with boats and do they all make a lot of noise?"

Graham,

I'm trying to work out which castle that is in the background. Is the flag flying at full mast a clue - and is GC the cat that went to look at the queen?

Cheers

Cath

Graham,

I'm trying to work out which castle that is in the background. Is the flag flying at full mast a clue - and is GC the cat that went to look at the queen?

Cheers

Cath

Oh come on!

It's Windsor innit!

Words fail me.

Hi

We brought 2 adult cats onto our barge 6 yrs ago - the male doesn't like the engine or any disruption he even knows the sound of the ignition keys and runs for cover when we tinkle them. The female however loves life on the water and cruising running up and down the roof of the barge when moving. I think if you bring a kitten on board then it would adjust easily having nothing to compare it with and maybe another kitten for company. We installed a cat flap which meant we didn't need a cat tray and they have independence to go off whenever they fancy.

With our cats I think it's down to their personalities - he likes the easy life with no disruptions and she is the total opposite, but they're having a good life

Have fun

cheers

Barossa

I have two very happy cats (see my profile pic for proof!) Genghis is 15 years old and Rasputin is 13 years old, I moved aboard full time in January this year and have had no problems with them, they even took to using a litter tray, something they hadn't done since kittens. The only noise they've never liked is the sound of the vacuum cleaner!

The only issue I have with some cats is that they tend to poo away from their own abode and poo near yours and one dear little kitty decided to leave me nice fat muddy footprints all over the sides and a nice bit of scratched paintwork, but other than that I've never had a problem with them, and have seen lots of happy cats flaked out on a boat roof enjoying the sun and a nap.

Our cat is fine but he's been on the boat since he was just a kitten.

Except he has a terrible attitude.

On Saturday we were going on a trip and I got the boats bow about 2 meters from the bank, cats head pops out of Cratch Cover, I thought "he's not going to jump", he waits till we were going past another boat, jumps off and dissappears into the woods where he likes to play with his friend FRED another Kitten.

2 hours later I gave up trying to coax him out with food and making a fool of myself and we went and did our chores, came back, said cat comes running towards us as we were in the lock near the mooring meaowing, then suddenly comes to his senses, stops meaowing and looks at me like "oh you're back then" and goes back to playing with Fred.

Arghghgh

We have two new kittens (Heidi couldnt decide which to pick so we ended up with both.....soft touch or what). Anyway, so far they have been having a ball on the boat, they tend to alternate between sleep and play/fighting every few hours and they are very active at night when we can hear they chasing around whenever we wake up. They have their second injections on Friday so after that will be allowed out. So far so good but I'll let you know more in a week or two !

Cats do have this rather selfish attitude that everybody else should fit in with their needs.

'GC' (short for 'Ginger Cat') is quite independent and we would never dream of pretending that we own him. He sometimes gets off the boat at 'interesting places' and, when he does, we just have to wait until he comes back - which, so far, he always has. A typical example was on the way back from the Saul Festival - I stopped at the chandlery at Fenny Compton to get some gas and he hopped off and disappeared into the bushes. I had already tied up, so after sorting the gas, cooking myself some lunch and doing the washing up, I was starting to get concerned - then just as I was beginning to think about going to look for him he casually sauntered back, jumped aboard and looked up at me as if to say "OK, we can go on to the next place now!"

Cats can be vicious predators but a well fed cat will rarely kill and eat his prey. Many years ago, we fitted 'GC' with a collar which has a small bell attached. This gives an adequate warning of his presence to wild birds and he has long since given up chasing them. He even leaves alone those that appear to be relatively helpless like some baby moorhens that we inadvertently disturbed at Stockton Locks. He does, however, still hunt and catch mice which can be a nuisance because he brings them back aboard and presents them to us alive and uninjured! It is then down to me to catch them and return them to the wild.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just noticed this and thought I'd speak of our experiences, there's a handy tip in here as well.

My cats are a bit nervy when we're cruising, they weren't on my last boat that had a veritable behemoth of an engine in it, but when we first bought Sudan bits of trim kept falling off when we were moving and it rattled them a bit. These days we start moving and they'll resignedly get up and assume their crash positions under the bed.

Alb really didn't like tunnels at first (there weren't any in our cruising range on't last boat) and went mental whenever it went suddenly dark, but some valerian root and a kind of staged exposure programme sorted that one out.

We've got a cat flap, it's the third one we're on now as our rather wilful tom cat has realised that, given enough punishment a piece of flimsy plastic will break, and he's right.

We do find a one way sytem, basically a piece of wood screwed across the outside of the flap is really helpful as once they're in they're in. You can buy flaps with a rotating lock, but that lasted about 20 minutes when Alb set his mind to it.

Our home mooring is city centre and very open so they're not too keen on going out and use the litter tray when at home base, but we're out rural a lot and they never use it then.

If they're a bit nervy I'd recommend some Valerian root, ideally the capsules, as they love it but it zonks them out, so giving a more err... "pleasurable" experience.

They are both well fed but prefer mouse or rat instead. Gertrude once got the intestines of a rat caught in the cat flap and dragged it half way down the boat before the guts ran out. I was left reeling them back in with a pencil, not nice.

I suggest that if you contact The Cats Protection League Cats they will be able to advise you, and they have a fabulous selection of cats and Kittens seeking new homes . . . . (possibly even floating ones)

My my, what will they think of next, bouyant Cats :lol: