LOCKING FILLER CAP

wotnot

Featured Posts

Many people have the smaller-size (1.5") filler, which needs the hole to be enlarged to take a locking replacement, but my boat like many others has a larger size (2") filler. I bought a locking unit which is supposed to screw into the existing filler cap threads, and found the opposite problem that it was too small.

I hadn't realised that there are 3 standard sizes. Fillers for the larger (2") hose come in two varieties; the older (4 fixing holes) has a larger filler cap than the more recent (3 fixing holes) variety. If you have one of the old-style 2" fillers, the lockable fillers that are being sold as a direct replacement will fit the main hole but will require you to drill and tap new fixing holes. Or if like me you buy one of the screw-in ones that uses (and covers) the existing fixing screws, then its security would be slightly compromised by not having the extra strength that comes from screwing it into the filler-cap threads.

To overcome this problem, I mixed up some some Plastic Metal, and liberally coated both threads with it. Then when the new insert was fixed in place, the Plastic Metal hardened like a thread adaptor and sealed the centre of the whole unit securely in place. In conjunction with the four deck-fixing screws, the unit is now reasonably secure - at least against the casual thief who would hopefully prefer to move along to the next boat that doesn't have a secure filler.

I know it's bad form to reply to your own posts, but thought I'd re-quote this as it is the Fuelock that I have fitted, and I believe it is still true that none of the avaialable sizes will fit the older-style large-diameter 4-hole narrowboat fillers directly. Measure carefully!!

I know it's bad form to reply to your own posts, but thought I'd re-quote this as it is the Fuelock that I have fitted, and I believe it is still true that none of the avaialable sizes will fit the older-style large-diameter 4-hole narrowboat fillers directly. Measure carefully!!

There could be a 2" version of Fuelock in the future if the demand exists.

If you were after a 2inch filler locking cap this may be of interest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCKING-FUEL-FILLERS...A1%7C240%3A1318

Just fitted one of the 1 1/4" "Fuelock" locking fillers as mentiond in this thread, very easy but I have reservations about the device. Before fitting I thought the internal diameter looked a little small, would the filler hose fit, yes it will. Would the cap fit in the spillage deflector, it did on my boat but may not on others. Will it keep the water out, time will tell. I thought plastic may be a little flimsy, metal would be better but having said that it would be a b****r to break in to. To screw in and tighten the cap (and undo) it is necessary to use the flap that covers the lock to provide purchase to do this, I wonder how long it will be before it breaks off. With care it should be OK but to keep water out it seems to need to be screwed down quite tight. A couple of purchase points could have been molded in to make sure this never happened.

John

Just fitted one of the 1 1/4" "Fuelock" locking fillers as mentiond in this thread, very easy but I have reservations about the device. Before fitting I thought the internal diameter looked a little small, would the filler hose fit, yes it will. Would the cap fit in the spillage deflector, it did on my boat but may not on others. Will it keep the water out, time will tell. I thought plastic may be a little flimsy, metal would be better but having said that it would be a b****r to break in to. To screw in and tighten the cap (and undo) it is necessary to use the flap that covers the lock to provide purchase to do this, I wonder how long it will be before it breaks off. With care it should be OK but to keep water out it seems to need to be screwed down quite tight. A couple of purchase points could have been molded in to make sure this never happened.

John

I have just recently fitted one of the 1 1/4" fuelock caps myself. It seems to do the job and was easy to fit. I had the same concerns over the diameter of the locking cap against the fuel spill deflector but I had a quarter inch to spare. I don't seem to be having the same issue screwing down and undoing the locking cap. It does seem quite water tight and to my view better than the old cap which if the seal was caught could let in water. After rain I lifted the spring cap over the lock and inside it was dry. Time will tell if water gets in any other way but from what I have observed so far I doubt it. I shall in the spring siphon a small amount off the bottom of the tank to see if I have got any water in over the winter.

I shall in the spring siphon a small amount off the bottom of the tank to see if I have got any water in over the winter.

Make sure you keep a finger over the syphon tube as you lower it to the bottom of the tank or else you will not be sampling the bottom layer.

Chris

John

It looks to me as if the lock itself could easily fill with water. I covered the key-entry with vaseline as a precaution.

Because the thread on my filler was too big, and I had to fill the gap with plastic padding to create a secure fixing, I took the opportunity to make sure everywhere was well covered in silicone sealant as well.

Make sure you keep a finger over the syphon tube as you lower it to the bottom of the tank or else you will not be sampling the bottom layer.

Chris

True, although I don't do it "pipette" style but truly siphon an amount through a small tube into a clear bottle so I can see if there is any layering or emulsification. The tube I use is narrow clear plastic pipe with something like an internal diameter of 5mm or less. That way you get a small flow and don't disturb any layering in the tank. The tubing is the sort you find on fish tank air systems. I attach the pipe to a stick also so that it can be held at the bottom of the tank precisely. It takes a while to fill a 1/2 or 1 litre bottle but it's a good way of making sure you are not mixing things up in the tank. If you are patient it's a good way of clearing most of the water (if you find some) out of the tank without draining the whole contents. I have used this method many times on standing tanks in garages or heating systems.

I have purchased a 'smaller' Fuelock after buying and returning the larger version. Not fitted it yet but hoping very much that it doesnt cause any water problems.

When I tried to fit the larger version I had to remove the existing brass cap and there seemed to be quite strong sealant around it (which I have been worried about whether I have disturbed).

What type of sealant is best to be used?

• 3 weeks later...
We now have stocks of the new 1 1/4" Fuelock for those who found the original wouldn't fit.

http://www.fuelock.canalboatbits.co.uk

a_home-diesel1.jpg

sizing.jpg

Sizing Guide

Fuelock now comes in two sizes. The original 1 ½" BSP size to fit threads with an internal diameter of 45mm – 46mm and NEW Fuelock Mini to fit 1 ¼" BSP fillers. That's an internal thread diameter of 40-42mm.

Both sizes come in diesel, petrol and water variants – all labelled to comply with Boat Safety Schemes.

Broadly, the 1 ½" BSP pipe size is more commonly found on motor cruisers whilst the 1 ¼" is popular on narrowboats and some sailing vessels. However, few things are standard on boats and the surest way to get the right fit is to measure the thread on each of the tanks to which you want to fit Fuelock.

clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifHere's how to measure:

1 - Unscrew filler cap, just as if you were about to refill the tank

2 - Measure across the internal thread of the aperture

3 - If the measurement is 45-46mm, you need the original 1 ½" BSP Fuelock

4 - If the diameter measures 40-42mm, please order new Fuelock Mini (1 ¼" BSP)

5 - Don't forget to measure the fillers on each tank, including water. Manufacturers have been known to fit different

Have just purchased the 1 ½" BSP Fuelock and it screws into my (3 hole fixing) brass flush deck filler just fine, but there is another aspect which needs to be met too - namely the depth of 1 ½" section of the original deck filler before it steps in to the smaller diameter pipe that then continues down into the tank. My depth at the 1 ½" diameter is only about 18mm and It appears this needs to be at least 22mm to enable the key of the locking cap to be turned to the locked position.

Gary, I assume the brass deck fitting sold by canalboat bits has this depth. Would you be able to let me know this and what PCD the 3 holes are so I can check if it matches my 3 hole fitting??

Many thanks

Mick

I hoped to start a new thread but couldn't see what buttons to press :lol:

We are looking for a locking device where the fuel filler is also the thing you put a mooring rope round (brain not in gear, can't remember the name) . The filler cap screws on the top of this hollow post (which is about 6 inches long) so nothing which requires a deck fitting or which will foul a rope can be used.

Any ideas folks?

haggis.

We are looking for a locking device where the fuel filler is also the thing you put a mooring rope round (brain not in gear, can't remember the name) . The filler cap screws on the top of this hollow post (which is about 6 inches long) so nothing which requires a deck fitting or which will foul a rope can be used.

Any ideas folks?

haggis.

Middx & Herts boat yard have put a very neat fitting over our raised screw cap.

Sue

Any ideas folks?

haggis.

Are you confused with the tank vent mooring bollard?

Any ideas folks?

haggis.

I think wrapping a rope around your fuel filler tube would render any lip, or barrier, stopping diesel polluting the cut, useless.

The risk of spillage, whilst filling your tank, soaking into your ropes, forming a very effective wick, would make the idea a bit foolhardy, too.

I think wrapping a rope around your fuel filler tube would render any lip, or barrier, stopping diesel polluting the cut, useless.

The risk of spillage, whilst filling your tank, soaking into your ropes, forming a very effective wick, would make the idea a bit foolhardy, too.

and from Mike Are you confused with the tank vent mooring bollard?

No, I am not confused by the fuel tank vent - it is through the mooring bollard on the other side of the stern. Our filler is a longish metal tube which protrudes above the stern. The tube has a clip on cap (like a car radiater) on top. Remove the cap, put the fuel nozzle into the tube (it goes in quite far) and fill with fuel. When the fuel cuts out when tank is full, the fuel is below the neck of the tube. Normally, when refuellling, there will be no ropes on that bollard and the one on the other side (the breather bollard) will be in use.

haggis

Sue, any chance of you sending us a photo of the device? Did they make it or can you buy such a thing anywhere?

Thanks, haggis.

Sorry I can't supply a photo but it is basically a piece of metal with two right angled bends in it which fits over the top of the cap and is secured to the upright on both sides. It is obviously removable and wouldn't stop a determined thief with the right tools. Hopefully it will act as a deterent.

Sue

and from Mike Are you confused with the tank vent mooring bollard?

No, I am not confused by the fuel tank vent - it is through the mooring bollard on the other side of the stern. Our filler is a longish metal tube which protrudes above the stern. The tube has a clip on cap (like a car radiater) on top. Remove the cap, put the fuel nozzle into the tube (it goes in quite far) and fill with fuel. When the fuel cuts out when tank is full, the fuel is below the neck of the tube. Normally, when refuellling, there will be no ropes on that bollard and the one on the other side (the breather bollard) will be in use.

haggis

I wouldn't tie up on a fuel filler under any circumstances, even a hairline crack in the welding could have serious implications and prove to be expensive to repair.

I wouldn't tie up on a fuel filler under any circumstances, even a hairline crack in the welding could have serious implications and prove to be expensive to repair.

As far as I am aware, this arrangement is/was quite common on trad stern boats. The pipe is far from flimsy and has obvioulsy been suffiently robust to withstand over 20 years of being used as a mooring bollard. It is hard to say whether the device is a mooring bollard which just happens to be the fuel filler or that it is the fuel filler which just happens to be a mooring bollard. There are no other mooring points at the stern and we are therefore using something which was built for the purpose. Sorry if my previous post gave the impression that the device was not intended to be used for mooring.

haggis.

There was at one time a regulation that the fuel tank breather had to be 4 inches above the level of the fuel, placing the breather on the mooring bollard which was drilled appropriately was an ingenious way to get around that silly rule, no problem of course for cruisers as their's could be positioned somewhere on the handrail.

If a mooring bollard falls off as a result of the mild force a mooring rope places on it then that is a separate problem, just bad workmanship and should be addressed on that level.

Edited by John Orentas

• 1 year later...
Well thanks to help with searches I found this old thread about locking fuel caps, I laboriously read through all 9 pages and am none the wiser :lol: I see Midland Chandlers have the Fuellock locking fuel cap with rather flimsy looking keys,

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/searchre...ng%20fuel%20cap

is there anything better now?

There are others available and indeed Midland did have a small selection of rather good looking shiny ones when i was looking for a locking fuel cap.

But the ones they had, had three fixing holes where I had four.

Midland, at that time, a few weeks ago, did not have the Fuellock available, and indeed, I had to try very hard to get one at all!

I was told that it had something to do with the fuelock company not producing anymore!

To be honest, if someone wants your fuel, their going to have it, but the Fuelock will make the casual fuel thief think twice.

Nipper

There are others available and indeed Midland did have a small selection of rather good looking shiny ones when i was looking for a locking fuel cap.

But the ones they had, had three fixing holes where I had four.

Midland, at that time, a few weeks ago, did not have the Fuellock available, and indeed, I had to try very hard to get one at all!

I was told that it had something to do with the fuelock company not producing anymore!

To be honest, if someone wants your fuel, their going to have it, but the Fuelock will make the casual fuel thief think twice.

Nipper

Fuelocks are no longer being produced but if you call them on 01422 825437 they may have some stock left.

Previous thread

• 5 years later...