We've done it!

FadeToScarlet

Featured Posts

Well, Amy (Black Ibis on here) and I have finally taken the plunge. After spamming up Canal World for the last few months, learning a lot from friends online and reallife about boat-owning, we've finally made our liveaboard dream a reality. We viewed the boat and knew that it was just right for us and now the offer has (subject to survey) been accepted.

The last few weeks have been stressful, but we've struck lucky. We were examing the market for months, with every viable boat in our price range on a spreadsheet, and we were getting upset as our favourites were sold, but elated as we found new possibilities. The advertising of "Just Maggie II" in Canal Boat gave us a kick up the Uxter plate, so to speak, and we moved the schedule forward. We started seriously looking at boats, having casually seen a lot over the past year, last weekend. The third boat we saw was just right- almost in Goldilocks style! We got the offer in and, now, it's been accepted.

We're over the moon, frankly. I've been trying to write my dissertation this afternoon and just drifting back to the boat. Amy says that her work in London has suffered. I think we've both been away in the lovely dark-wood saloon in front of the roaring Squirrel stove, or on the HUGE well-deck drinking cocktails, or on the top step with the doors shut behind, tiller in one hand and mug of tea in the other!

So, a success story. I'm tempted to write it out in more detail and see if WW will have it for their "Me and my Boat".

Either way, we said we would do it back in our very first post; we just have!

The details of the boat:

79117_1.jpg

6' foredeck with quality cratch cover. Ideal for summer entertaining or winter storage. The foredeck leads to the saloon via unique curved and split doors.

The saloon is equipped with a free-standing settee that converts to a double bed if required. Heated by a Morso Squirrel solid fuel stove that also feeds a rear radiator via a back-boiler. Seating is also available over a storage locker with folding dining table.

The Galley is fitted with integral hob, oven and grill. Ample storage and work surface for all occasions with a 12v fridge and all the usual equipment.

The Shower room is built as a wet-room with instant gas heater and porta-potti toilet.

To the rear of this is a fixed double bed that ingeniously lifts to reveal an office / computer workstation and wardrobe.

Finally before exiting the cabin there is the engine room with storage below the deck level and also to the port side.

Split rear doors then lead to the stern deck.

Engine is a 1.8 BMC that has only done 300 hours since a professional rebuild.

Hopefully we'll see people when we go cruising....

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Well, Amy (Black Ibis on here) and I have finally taken the plunge. After spamming up Canal World for the last few months, learning a lot from friends online and reallife about boat-owning, we've finally made our liveaboard dream a reality. We viewed the boat and knew that it was just right for us and now the offer has (subject to survey) been accepted.

The last few weeks have been stressful, but we've struck lucky. We were examing the market for months, with every viable boat in our price range on a spreadsheet, and we were getting upset as our favourites were sold, but elated as we found new possibilities. The advertising of "Just Maggie II" in Canal Boat gave us a kick up the Uxter plate, so to speak, and we moved the schedule forward. We started seriously looking at boats, having casually seen a lot over the past year, last weekend. The third boat we saw was just right- almost in Goldilocks style! We got the offer in and, now, it's been accepted.

We're over the moon, frankly. I've been trying to write my dissertation this afternoon and just drifting back to the boat. Amy says that her work in London has suffered. I think we've both been away in the lovely dark-wood saloon in front of the roaring Squirrel stove, or on the HUGE well-deck drinking cocktails, or on the top step with the doors shut behind, tiller in one hand and mug of tea in the other!

So, a success story. I'm tempted to write it out in more detail and see if WW will have it for their "Me and my Boat".

Either way, we said we would do it back in our very first post; we just have!

The details of the boat:

79117_1.jpg

6' foredeck with quality cratch cover. Ideal for summer entertaining or winter storage. The foredeck leads to the saloon via unique curved and split doors.

The saloon is equipped with a free-standing settee that converts to a double bed if required. Heated by a Morso Squirrel solid fuel stove that also feeds a rear radiator via a back-boiler. Seating is also available over a storage locker with folding dining table.

The Galley is fitted with integral hob, oven and grill. Ample storage and work surface for all occasions with a 12v fridge and all the usual equipment.

The Shower room is built as a wet-room with instant gas heater and porta-potti toilet.

To the rear of this is a fixed double bed that ingeniously lifts to reveal an office / computer workstation and wardrobe.

Finally before exiting the cabin there is the engine room with storage below the deck level and also to the port side.

Split rear doors then lead to the stern deck.

Engine is a 1.8 BMC that has only done 300 hours since a professional rebuild.

well done have fun

Well, Amy (Black Ibis on here) and I have finally taken the plunge.

Congrats. Looks like a nice boat. Hope to see you around when you make it to the flat, Eastern bits. Have you sorted a mooring?

Cheers,

MP.

Congrats. Looks like a nice boat. Hope to see you around when you make it to the flat, Eastern bits. Have you sorted a mooring?

Cheers,

MP.

erm, sort of. Upware seems promising, but currently my big worry is finding the damn money! Just had a loan application rejected... pants! But IF we can somehow scrape together a deposit, perhaps a marine mortgage from RSL or somewhere is the way forward. It'll sort out somehow. Either way, I'm bloody happy.

erm, sort of. Upware seems promising, but currently my big worry is finding the damn money! Just had a loan application rejected... pants! But IF we can somehow scrape together a deposit, perhaps a marine mortgage from RSL or somewhere is the way forward. It'll sort out somehow. Either way, I'm bloody happy.

Couldn't get a loan but RSL said 'yes' to us. Downside it's a lot more complicated than buying a house, yup. You'll need a full survey, with valuation of the vessel, you'll need a mooring, you'll need to submit all your mooring paperwork and contract to them, list goes on and on. Upside is, they'll make sure that you won't be buying a bucket!

From the "up" of yesterday, there's already a down- finding the damn money! Looks like its going to be scraping together for a marine mortgage deposit. Not ideal at all, but due to the credit crunch this might be the only way.

I suppose it's a microcosm of buying a boat- elation one minute, dejection (but perseverance) the next.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone; don't worry, we'll do it.

...and it looks like we are; wheedled some money out of parents for moorings and deposit. It really has been a complete contrast over the past two days- tenterhooks then elation, and depression today. Now we need to sort out mooring and marine mortgage.

By the bye, Living afloat is just so unusual and against the norm that banks just don't get it; being unconventional has its downsides, even when it's completely sensible! Bleurch. On with the paperwork.....

Try not to worry about it all the time. Really hard I know but i nearly drove myself nuts with worry when we were waiting for calls from the bank. Try to find things to take your mind off it.

Congrats anyway, i'm so stupidly happy with my new home. You'll love it.

Try not to worry about it all the time. Really hard I know but i nearly drove myself nuts with worry when we were waiting for calls from the bank. Try to find things to take your mind off it.

Congrats anyway, i'm so stupidly happy with my new home. You'll love it.

I'm just getting the paperwork together (took a day off work to do it, but i'm so mentally unstable that i'd be useless anyway). Hopefully there will be a decision from Collidge&Partners by Friday! eeeee Then we just have to scrape together another £1800 for a ridiculously expensive mooring that we only need for paperwork. *grumble* BUT we're getting there. I think.

Mortgage application has been received by Collidge and Partners. They are going to call me back later on today when they have made a decision. I am trembling with fear!

Edited by Black Ibis

Mortgage application has been received by Collidge and Partners. They are going to call me back later on today when they have made a decision. I am trembling with fear!

Fingers are crossed for you

Chris

Yes but are you happy with the 15% interest rate they are charging!

Not really, but it was that or nothing. Barclays don't do marine mortgages under £37k, and the credit crunch and our youth and student &recent grad statusses meant no personal loans.

Still, it's cheaper than rent!

BEER for those boaters

Cider for me (Old Rosie) and probably a G&T or some kind of ladycocktail for SWMBO, I think!