LIVERPOOL BOATS?

kayak

Featured Posts

Afternoon all.

Just a quick one. I was talking to a chap in Kegworth (on the soar) at the weekend and he tells me that he's "heard" that Liverpool boats have layed some workers off. Does anyone know if this is true (rather than just hearing rumours)? Is there anyone out there who has a boat in build with them at the moment?

Cheers chaps (and chapess's)

Kayak.

Hi tomska, thanks for you reply.

I am finding this quite worrying. My boat is also due next month. Did your friend get a full refund?

Kayak.

Yes, they got their down-payment back in full. They had ordered through the New Boat Co.

I should get on the blower if I were you.

Afternoon all.

Just a quick one. I was talking to a chap in Kegworth (on the soar) at the weekend and he tells me that he's "heard" that Liverpool boats have layed some workers off. Does anyone know if this is true (rather than just hearing rumours)? Is there anyone out there who has a boat in build with them at the moment?

Cheers chaps (and chapess's)

Kayak.

as I said Feb 28th, in Topic "WARNING"

Rumor has it as a bit more than just downsizing, over 80 laid off leaving only 8 staff to "tidy up" with the gaffer leaving to run his new marina?

this from a friend, one of the poor unfortunates laid off

Just got off the phone.

They confirmed that they are downsizing and are going to produce fewer boats. Im glad we are only having a shell and engine! I have been promised that i have nothing to worry about!

If i learn of anything else that may be of use to others i will post later.

Thanks all for you comments.

They had ordered through the New Boat Co.

I understood that the New Boat Co had decided to concentrate on the upper end of the market with their Polish boats, and had dropped the Liverpool built ones. This, of course, could well be the reason Liverpool is downsizing.

Wow here we go again Liverpool Boat Company in trouble have laid off some staff.

Ford Motor company in trouble have laid off some staff and sold Land Rover and Jaguar.

Coca Cola in trouble laid off some staff.

Rolls Royce Engines in trouble laid off 2,000 last month better cancel my plane.

Guess what there is a down turn in the economy and when this happens a lot of companies re visit there forcasts and more often than not this means staff reductions.

Wow here we go again Liverpool Boat Company in trouble have laid off some staff.

Ford Motor company in trouble have laid off some staff and sold Land Rover and Jaguar.

Rolls Royce Engines in trouble laid off 2,000 last month better cancel my plane.

Guess what there is a down turn in the economy and when this happens a lot of companies re visit there forcasts and more often than not this means staff reductions.

i've been lucky, they say I can still have my plane as it's in the fit out stage now. Just the final stage payment to go..

:lol::)

Yeah and many small business's like my own, I've laid of 3 staff in the past 3 months and in the removals business, house prices falling too, and by a lot more than the government and media have stated. Other business's locally are also laying off staff, and reducing hours. If anyone out there thinks we'll avoid recession, think again. You'll also note that prices are shooting up rapidly too mainly essentials, fuel food etc. The Liverpool Boat Company downsizing :lol: not through choice and a desire to go upmarket, I can assure you. These type of companies make more money selling finance for their boats than they do producing them, that's why they are cheap, and it certainly shows in the quality.

Yeah and many small business's like my own, I've laid of 3 staff in the past 3 months and in the removals business, house prices falling too, and by a lot more than the government and media have stated. Other business's locally are also laying off staff, and reducing hours. If anyone out there thinks we'll avoid recession, think again. You'll also note that prices are shooting up rapidly too mainly essentials, fuel food etc. The Liverpool Boat Company downsizing :lol: not through choice and a desire to go upmarket, I can assure you. These type of companies make more money selling finance for their boats than they do producing them, that's why they are cheap, and it certainly shows in the quality.

whoooa.... is that someone critisising a boat builder, Ive been told you cannot do that on here?

I understood that the New Boat Co had decided to concentrate on the upper end of the market with their Polish boats, and had dropped the Liverpool built ones. This, of course, could well be the reason Liverpool is downsizing.

I mentioned the reason on here a month ago - this is from a conversation with the GM of NBC. The guy who owns LB wants to downsize as he is getting close to retirement and only wants to produce a handful of boats a year from now on. At the same time, NBC decided to take this opportunity to break free from LB and concentrate on their up-market Aqualine range. So the change was timely for both companies. Ergo NBC will no longer be selling their "Sandpiper" range. If you check the NBC site you will see there are no LB produced boats advertised anymore.

Chris

whoooa.... is that someone critisising a boat builder, Ive been told you cannot do that on here?

Really, didn't know that :) why can't you criticise a boat builder.

Although from just reading cris w post I may have been a bit harsh and incorrect with regard to the downsizing of LB, apologies if so :lol:

These type of companies make more money selling finance for their boats than they do producing them, that's why they are cheap, and it certainly shows in the quality.

I disagree. From what I have seen Liverpool Boat shells are as good or better than the offerings from many supposed mid-range builders.

I disagree. From what I have seen Liverpool Boat shells are as good or better than the offerings from many supposed mid-range builders.

I disagree too. Yes, there are better/nicer Nb's than Liverpool shells, but at a cost. I know many owners of Liverpool shells new and old, and they are fine.

I must admit I might have mixed up LB with some of these newer companies that sprung up several years ago operating on the same lines as these car supermarkets.

We did a lot of research before ordering a hull, then travelling hundreds of miles visiting boatyards. To be honest it's damned hard to find a decent boat builder that will construct a boat correctly and to an acceptable quality. Some of the rubbish about is astonishing, I've seen boats where the internal battoning is screwed from the outside of the upper shell, as having no proper steel reinforcement in the upper structure. The amount of boats where the rubbing strakes are welded on the top, but only tack welded below and filled with sealer. The quality of steel, how many people ask for their steel certificates and know that the certificate for that steel has actually been used on your boat. Generally shabby welding. I've turned up at boat yards unannounced and seen welding under going on un bevelled joints. spotted non fire proof spray foam cannisters in several boat yards. Spray foam supposedly applied hardly 5mm thick in many places. Operatives roller painting outer hulls covered in heat scale. Base plates only welded on the top side. And on top of that poor design, very basic flat steel doors and hatches, rippling shells, I could go on and on Lol

Basically it's a minefield, and boat builders only have to stick to a few simple rules to get it passed. Unlike building a house where specifications have to be to a quality laid down by law. So when choosing a boat builder you need to be armed with welding knowledge first, as well as many of the finite stuff that can easily be covered up with sealer and tar. And you need to visit your builder regularily whilst under construction, even turn up unannounced occasionally, it keeps them on their toes.

Things to lookout for choosing your builder.

Visit boat yards without appointment, they rarly turn you away. late morning to Lunch time is good.

If you're not shown around within an hour and asked to make an appointment to to view the workshop another time be wary, but do view. be wary of block bookings for viewing, this is a sales gimmic IMO

If you do get to look around a boat yard, check out the quality of tools being used, especially in the fitting out areas. Craftsmen won't use chaep tools. Check out for larger machinery also. Large bench saws planers, sanders. if it looks like a diy workshop, then that's probably what it is.

General tidiness, untidy workshops can denote untidy work ethic. IE dirty loos in a pub, what''s the kitchen like? Workshops should be tidy at least, dirt and grime is unavoidable in these environments though.

Try to speak to any other customers that may be around, get a contact No. from them, if they've had a bad experience with the builder they probably wont say about it on site with the builder around.

If there's any boats finished or nearly finished, have a really good look around it, take your time. Thumbnail under rubbing strakes will detect if they've been welded or sealed with sealer.

Ask the builder for 5 customers details you can contact for a recommendation.

Ask the boat builder for his most recent steel certificates.

Know what you want, full build or sailaway etc, give the same requirements to each builder to get a fair price comparison.

If you're dealing with a salesman record the conversation :lol:

Research the company, previous bankrupcy etc

Visit lots of boat builders before making your choice.

Boatbuilders are a wierd bunch from my experience. Those who slag off other boat builders, are generally worse themselves :)

A builder who sticks to his original price is generally fair.

A builder who drops his price dramatically beware of.

The above is compiled from my experiences in purchasing a boat.

I disagree too. Yes, there are better/nicer Nb's than Liverpool shells, but at a cost. I know many owners of Liverpool shells new and old, and they are fine.

Wouldn't like to be working a lock from one of those roundy roundy coach roofs in the wet or ice.

I don't think they're very good boats, but they are probably very cost-effective bedsits.

"Wouldn't like to be working a lock from one of those roundy roundy coach roofs in the wet or ice"

It is strange that you say that - I have a 'curved' liverpool roof and even in a deluge water cannot gather on it, so it is always dry. So I guess there is no opportunity for ice to form on it either. It could be argued they are less prone to that problem than a flatter roof.

Wouldn't like to be working a lock from one of those roundy roundy coach roofs in the wet or ice.

I don't think they're very good boats, but they are probably very cost-effective bedsits.

Well my LB hull (via NBC) has an antislip (gritted) coating all over it as well as on the gunwhales which came as standard. When I first showed my new boat to the people in my marina, they were all amazed at how nice it was. They had all heard the anti-LB rumours. One guy said that he had never been envious of a boat till he went on mine.

Chris

It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me :D

Well with LB's days of mass production gone then at least it will help increase the feeding frenzy at Crick this year! :lol:

I think they have probably made the right business decision but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some one who doesn't make quite so good business decisions might step in to fill what they see to be a new vacant gap. :)