GUCCCo Butty Atalanta

Liam

Featured Posts

Just found this on Fleabay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Narrowboat-canal-boa...1QQcmdZViewItem

I remember about 5 years ago, it used to be paired with "Star" if I remember rightly, and was based at Saltesford on the T&M. They were both offered for sale either as a pair of single boats at Harral Brokerage.

Can anybody confirm the name of the motor and what happened to it?

Just found this on Fleabay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Narrowboat-canal-boa...1QQcmdZViewItem

I remember about 5 years ago, it used to be paired with "Star" if I remember rightly, and was based at Saltesford on the T&M. They were both offered for sale either as a pair of single boats at Harral Brokerage.

Star is owned by a friend of mine and I believe it is moored at Stretton under Fosse.

Tim

Thanks Tim, do you know if Star was once paired with Atalanta? I remember them being advertised for a very good price.

Stort, thank you, you have just reminded me to do the write up for the Easter weekend!

Unless I am hallucinating (which is entirely possible) Atalanta has spent many years with Thaxted at the Warwickshire Flyboat Company before Ro and Sue upped and offed to Australia a couple of years back. I'd been wondering what had happened to her so it was nice to see the link

Thanks

Delirium

Interesting that "the hull thickness is around 10mm".

It must have expanded since it was built, then :rolleyes:

Maybe it's had a 10mm steel bottom welded in, but the original sides won't be anywhere near that.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Obviously not the same boat, but there's another one on Ebay now...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/71ft-narrowboat-butt...1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the way her condition is described as 'used'!

BTW is there anyone around who has contact with Roland (ex Thaxted and Atalanta)? We used to work together. I had two former working boats at the time and you can imagine how good it was to go to a new job and find someone ELSE who loved old boats!

• 2 months later...

I like to introduce myself as the new owner of the Atalanta :lol: -I am presently trying to get her towed to Rugby! I think £34,000 is not a bargain but not unreasonable either-u are paying for pure history-Do u know what an American would pay for such a vessell? These vessels should be part of the national trust! I mean it has everything on it and I have a permanent mooring-I have seen other boats MUCH higher than that-wait till I work on her-it will be like the Dover(I hope!)

Hi Boatbot welcome to the forums... and congratulations on having a lovely boat.

Please don't go and ruin it by trying to copy Dovery (In my opinion of course).

I like to introduce myself as the new owner of the Atalanta :lol: -I am presently trying to get her towed to Rugby! I think £34,000 is not a bargain but not unreasonable either-u are paying for pure history-Do u know what an American would pay for such a vessell? These vessels should be part of the national trust! I mean it has everything on it and I have a permanent mooring-I have seen other boats MUCH higher than that-wait till I work on her-it will be like the Dover(I hope!)

ARGHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry that ws very unprofessional of me, what I meant to say was

Another complete abortion of a rebuild of an historic boat

And before anybody says anything YES Baldock is converted but at least ( I hope what lLise and I have or will do to her will enhance her. I am sorry if my comment offend Boatbot but I feel that Dover was one the most tacky conversions I have ever seen

Chris

( Just my opinion and if the mods feel they need to you can remove this post on the grounds of taste and or tact )

Hi Boatbot welcome to the forums... and congratulations on having a lovely boat.

Please don't go and ruin it by trying to copy Dovery (In my opinion of course).

Thankyou-So u think its good? I am pleased at that-I feel its an amazing craft. I cant believe the motor boat is at Stretton as I broke down there last year and I know Rose narrowboats VERY well-

I wont ruin it! No I wont-I am an artist, so I evaluate such decisions carefully!! U are very welcome to come and have a look-U might be able to give some advise! I want to restore it to as close to its beginnings as I can (might not be able to do the elm bottom boy I would like to!!) I will be at Willow Wren-cheers

wait till I work on her-it will be like the Dover(I hope!)

Please don't...(Like Liam, just my opinion :lol: ). She looks very nice as she is (though your top plank is far too wide).

Welcome, btw.

(might not be able to do the elm bottom boy I would like to!!) I will be at Willow Wren-cheers

Wooden bottoms are far easier to maintain than metal. One man, a caulking hammer and iron and a bale of oakum.

None of that hot metal and flashing lights malarkey!

And before anybody says anything YES Baldock is converted but at least ( I hope what lLise and I have or will do to her will enhance her. I am sorry if my comment offend Boatbot but I feel that Dover was one the most tacky conversions I have ever seen

Chris

( Just my opinion and if the mods feel they need to you can remove this post on the grounds of taste and or tact )

No, not at all-I know what u mean! -The Dover is abit, how can I say-umm "staged"-the work on it hasn't really understood where the vessell has come from. U need to have a balance with the historical and the minimal-In other words it needs to reflect the past and all that has gone before(including WW2-amazing) and then place it in the 21st century-that is because, we inturn, will be the "historic" to someone who has it in the future lets say in 2078! We are just custodians(spelling?) to pass on. Its difficult and requires a fine eye and an understanding-gee everyone is so into it-I better do a good job!!! :lol:

Please don't...(Like Liam, just my opinion :lol: ). She looks very nice as she is (though your top plank is far too wide).

Welcome, btw.

Wooden bottoms are far easier to maintain than metal. One man, a caulking hammer and iron and a bale of oakum.

None of that hot metal and flashing lights malarkey!

I diddn't think it! I thought it was a nightmare! But how much would it cost?

No, not at all-I know what u mean! -The Dover is abit, how can I say-umm "staged"-the work on it hasn't really understood where the vessell has come from. U need to have a balance with the historical and the minimal-In other words it needs to reflect the past and all that has gone before(including WW2-amazing) and then place it in the 21st century-that is because, we inturn, will be the "historic" to someone who has it in the future lets say in 2078! We are just custodians(spelling?) to pass on. Its difficult and requires a fine eye and an understanding-gee everyone is so into it-I better do a good job!!! :lol:

I diddn't think it! I thought it was a nightmare! But how much would it cost?

It depends what condition they're in. What did the survey say?

If they're nice and thick, with no real leaks then theyre best left alone. If the seams leak then caulking them is simple enough.

They're dead easy to replace, just big slabs of wood (usually tropical, these days, as elm is tricky to get) bolted on.

If you do the job yourself, it costs the price of the materials plus dock time. If you pay someone to do it it depends on who it is you're paying (From £15 to well over £40 per hour).

The expensive folk will probably get their Charlie Monkey to do the job, anyway.

It depends what condition they're in. What did the survey say?

If they're nice and thick, with no real leaks then theyre best left alone. If the seams leak then caulking them is simple enough.

They're dead easy to replace, just big slabs of wood (usually tropical, these days, as elm is tricky to get) bolted on.

If you do the job yourself, it costs the price of the materials plus dock time. If you pay someone to do it it depends on who it is you're paying (From £15 to well over £40 per hour).

The expensive folk will probably get their Charlie Monkey to do the job, anyway.

Surveyed in October-just abit of rivoting-new anodes-No-the elm is gone-its all metal bottom now-I was thinking if u wanted to do total restore-it could be done-it would be a huge job but costs dont appear not that bad.

Surveyed in October-just abit of rivoting-new anodes-No-the elm is gone-its all metal bottom now-I was thinking if u wanted to do total restore-it could be done-it would be a huge job but costs dont appear not that bad.

I really wouldn't bother going back to wooden bottoms. You'd struggle to get elm so the materials wouldn't be original, anyway.

I really wouldn't bother going back to wooden bottoms. You'd struggle to get elm so the materials wouldn't be original, anyway.

I know one or two people have done this, but it's really a bit extreme.

Elm used to be a cheap timber, readily available, but now more or less extinct in the large widths needed.

There's also the Keelson and all the bolts to factor in.

Tim

But how much would it cost?

We got a good deal on the timber - and that alone was roughly £4k for a tropical bottom.

then you need a kelson - probably at least £600.

then you need some bolts - possibly £1500 there is alot!

simon.

I know one or two people have done this, but it's really a bit extreme.

Even the Working Boats Project with vast amounts of Heritage Lottery money to spend on the fastidious reconstruction of Little Northwich butty, 'Leo', 10 years back , settled for a steel bottom.

Chris

Agree entirely but all the tacky bits are removeable, the permanent stuff is good and proper.

I dont think it was the Star? SEE:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:UwMef...cd=11&gl=uk