GUCCCo Butty Atalanta

Liam

Featured Posts

The boats were up for sale via Harral Brokerage 8 or 9 years ago, either as a pair, or to be sold on their own.

The butty went fairly quickly I seem to be remember, with the motor not long behind.

This was only in 1999 and/or possibly 2000, not in the working days.

I can't remember the motors name but it was definately a Star class.

Not sure if this is helpful or not and maybe Roland sold her but I'm pretty sure he still owned Atalanta at that time and his Motor was Thaxted. He owned them for many years and they were moored up at the Warwickshire Flyboat Co. The last time I saw Roland was 2000 -ish and I'd have noticed if he'd said he sold Atalanta. Roland and I worked together from 1992 and he already had the boats then

bw

Delirium

I like to introduce myself as the new owner of the Atalanta :lol: -I am presently trying to get her towed to Rugby! I think £34,000 is not a bargain but not unreasonable either-u are paying for pure history-Do u know what an American would pay for such a vessell? These vessels should be part of the national trust! I mean it has everything on it and I have a permanent mooring-I have seen other boats MUCH higher than that-wait till I work on her-it will be like the Dover(I hope!)

Oh God I hope it`s better than that! Wonderful steelwork I know but - well I don`t know . Some of the "feel" ain`t there. Ignore me !

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Not sure if this is helpful or not and maybe Roland sold her but I'm pretty sure he still owned Atalanta at that time and his Motor was Thaxted. He owned them for many years and they were moored up at the Warwickshire Flyboat Co. The last time I saw Roland was 2000 -ish and I'd have noticed if he'd said he sold Atalanta. Roland and I worked together from 1992 and he already had the boats then

bw

Delirium

Great-well if u see him I woul dlike to have a chat at some time!

Great-well if u see him I woul dlike to have a chat at some time!

So would I! Unfortunately they moved to Australia a few years back. I'll point him in your direction should I ever hear from him. Good luck with Atalanta, she is a lovely boat. I know Roland and his wife loved the boats and took good care of her

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
So would I! Unfortunately they moved to Australia

Regards

Yes we did, and you can run but not hide. I owned Atalanta from 1983 to 1996 and was responsible for ,most the huge amount of rebuilding she had. When we rebuilt over a year in 1991 we had the choice , sell as was a knackered fat butty with rotten timber bottom 7 ft 5 wide and withrotten footings, to a towpath dosser, sell to the we are going to cut it motorise it, and put a tin lid on it, or rebuild in a fashion where she would survive another 50 years by which time she would be rare enough to escape the cut / motor improve bridgade. We are pleased this has happened. You have to remember at this time there was cash on the canal and the ive got a bigger inverter/gardiner bridgade were prowling for anything shapely and cheap.

Selling my baby, and then my other baby Thaxted was hard , hours of grinding cutting caulking and sweat went into the boats atalanta before the top went on had 20 galls of waxoil on the new and blasted steelwork I was high for days, my hands are ruined from grinding and wire wheeling. Sue still feels upset 12 years later. When we moved to australia it was almost to have a life away from 25 years on the cut to see an alternative, and to escape the tyrany that has overtaken with signs marina's ,m anglers and rules- infact the overcrowding and hassle of life afloat.

We are returning to the uk for the second time without a boat in a month we sold the Mecca a year after we got here, if you drop me your details I can come to the boat guess where we are going... Rugby!

Yes we did, and you can run but not hide. I owned Atalanta from 1983 to 1996 and was responsible for ,most the huge amount of rebuilding she had. When we rebuilt over a year in 1991 we had the choice , sell as was a knackered fat butty with rotten timber bottom 7 ft 5 wide and withrotten footings, to a towpath dosser, sell to the we are going to cut it motorise it, and put a tin lid on it, or rebuild in a fashion where she would survive another 50 years by which time she would be rare enough to escape the cut / motor improve bridgade. We are pleased this has happened. You have to remember at this time there was cash on the canal and the ive got a bigger inverter/gardiner bridgade were prowling for anything shapely and cheap.

Selling my baby, and then my other baby Thaxted was hard , hours of grinding cutting caulking and sweat went into the boats atalanta before the top went on had 20 galls of waxoil on the new and blasted steelwork I was high for days, my hands are ruined from grinding and wire wheeling. Sue still feels upset 12 years later. When we moved to australia it was almost to have a life away from 25 years on the cut to see an alternative, and to escape the tyrany that has overtaken with signs marina's ,m anglers and rules- infact the overcrowding and hassle of life afloat.

We are returning to the uk for the second time without a boat in a month we sold the Mecca a year after we got here, if you drop me your details I can come to the boat guess where we are going... Rugby!

Mmm... yes Rugby is lovely at this time of year! I was looking for the lovely Thaxted at Braunston this weekend and the nearest I got was seeing her can on Planet. I see you are doing REALLY well at staying away from the cut, am v impressed. Will figure out how to send you a message outside of this forum and remind you how glad you are to be away from the NHS

- H

• 2 weeks later...

I am at Rugby now! I am rebuilding the Eulum as best I can-Its not easy-its quite rotten in places-I am looking at photos-can anyone post photos of butty eulums if u have them-most appreciated! Actually I Live in Australia too! How strange! Where abouts are u in Australia? I am at Rugby wharf.

I am looking at photos-can anyone post photos of butty eulums if u have them-most appreciated!

If you can get down to Trowbridge you can measure mine - Star class butty ellum in reasonable nick. Or i can take some measurements for you, send me a message.

I'm not posting any pictures before I've painted it!

If you can get down to Trowbridge you can measure mine - Star class butty ellum in reasonable nick. Or i can take some measurements for you, send me a message.

I'm not posting any pictures before I've painted it!

anything u ve got!

I am at Rugby now! I am rebuilding the Eulum as best I can-Its not easy-its quite rotten in places-I am looking at photos-can anyone post photos of butty eulums if u have them-most appreciated! Actually I Live in Australia too! How strange! Where abouts are u in Australia? I am at Rugby wharf.

There is a picture of the lovely butty 'elum on Raymond in my Gallery. Made from Oak timber with an Ash Tiller. Good Luck.

Edited by Max Sinclair