Narrow boat 'SPADE'

magnetman

Featured Posts

The motor narrow boat 'Spade' at Cosgrove has always interested me, with its Nurser's-type 'snake' guards. Anyone know anything about it?

If it's the Spade I'm thinking of, it is a motor conversion of a Midlands and Coast butty, later absorbed in to Fellows Morton and Clayton.

Its an iron boat and I would think the "snake guards" are a later decorative addition.

Paul H

Yes i think its that one, i've managed to find it on AMModels' excellent boat list (John Crichton 1928). I'm interested in who did the motor conversion as its really done very well.

Well according to Jim Shead who knows everything, Taylors of Chester - these days owned by David Jones. He doesn't do that many narrow boats but has a good eye for trad boats of all kinds.

Paul H

• 3 years later...

I must admit that the register feature always puts me off.

People have asked my opinion of boats on this site, but accepted that I'm not going to register with it, so i actually can't help them.

I think the broker would do better not to require this, and may be losing interest as a result of that requirement.

I think the broker would do better not to require this, and may be losing interest as a result of that requirement.

I've been registered for years and have never received spam from them or any carefully selected companies, either.

They don't have my real name, phone number or inside leg measurement, just an email address.

He is no longer "attracted to" the forum ?

He's on the bank, but close by a river (a subterranean one), and doubtless still selling his attractive items - http://www.maxigrab.co.uk/

Derek

PS:

Registering to view sales is rather like paying to enter a car boot sale, in this case an email address is farmed and whilst I don't doubt the integrity (supported by Carl's comment) I simply won't go there. If you have goods for sale - show them. Perhaps Mr. Bassett would like to comment.

I find it odd that whilst there are 'over' 43 images available to view through registration why bother - when there is adequate information in text to make anyone decide whether to view or not from that alone. Just a bit odd.

Edited by Derek R.

With many of these sites you only need to register if you want to seethe additional pics.I to have never received phone calls or spam from this site.I consider spam and adverts as a evil that keeps many site free of cheaper than they might be.Having said that i have the ring of trust on my browser which does indicate the untrustworthy sites.

While I generally agree with you, I have registered and it isn't an intrusive process. One thing I do like about boatshed is that there are always loads of pictures. Probably far to many but it makes a change from most sites where you get 2-3 pictures at most.