Chesterfield Canal

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

We're wondering about including the Chesterfield Canal in our wandering itinerary this year, but we wouldn't be able to get there until early July. What would be the state of the weed around then? Would the canal be passable or would we be better to wait until the following spring?

I recently spoke with someone who'd been up/down the Chesterfield, and apart from all the locks, and a lack of moorings around West Stockwith, it was fine.

The marina at Stockwith has a couple of visitors moorings, but I'm told that just outside the locks on the canal side, you can moor up and walk back to the clubhouse. If you ring up the marina, I believe you can book a berth.

But don't hold me to that, you know how stuff changes!!!

Edited to add: If you go to Google Maps, and put West Stockwith in, you can zoom in to the marina and see where to moor!!

Edited by BigRoj

We're wondering about including the Chesterfield Canal in our wandering itinerary this year, but we wouldn't be able to get there until early July. What would be the state of the weed around then? Would the canal be passable or would we be better to wait until the following spring?

I would have thought if you were looking for good weed you would be better considering the Rochdale.........

Not that I would know but that is what I have heard :stop:

We did the Chesterfield last year in June. It was slow going due to weed in one section only, but nothing to worry about.

We had no problem mooring in West Stockwith basin, both going up and coming down, nor did we think the locks were partictulary onerous.

I really liked the Chesterfield, very pretty, quiet and lots of places to stop. Would recommend it.

Derek

Edited by Derek Porteous

Thanks people, looks like it may be a possibility. We went up to Worksop 14 years ago and I can't remember much about it apart from (1) my daughter getting very friendly with the chef at one of the pubs and trying to creep back on board without being heard in the small hours of the morning and (2) the dreaded weed that built up on the prop like a ball of candyfloss and stopped us from going anywhere very fast. The only to make progress was to let it build up and keep opening the throttle until there was so much weed that the engine couldn't cope, then pulling it off and travelling another 200 yards.

An extra lock-wheeler would certainly be welcome Dave.

Boy and man have fished the Chesterfield and went up to Retford 2 years ago yes its pretty and very quiet but we were on the bottom a lot of the time and anything over tickover will atract weed, June /July when the sun is strong the weed grows in abundance because the canal is so shallow. Talk is about a new basin project at Chesterfield and maybe linking the canal to the river Rother then into the south yorks navigation thereby making a circular route, hope it dosent put you off too much but please dont be in a hurry if you decide you want to do it, one last word of warning getting into West Stockwith is an experiance not to be missed a tip call Sue up the lock keeper and take her advise before trying to gain entry into the lock also when ure on your finals watch Sue,s commands she will stand on the wall and direct you when to turn into the lock.

Can't say anything about weeds on the Chesterfield Canal.

But we are currently scrub bashing around Renishaw and there are some pretty big trees there, if that helps. :stop:

I could watch st170dwl lock wheeling for you. Work fascinates me, I could watch it all day long.

Boy and man have fished the Chesterfield and went up to Retford 2 years ago yes its pretty and very quiet but we were on the bottom a lot of the time and anything over tickover will atract weed, June /July when the sun is strong the weed grows in abundance because the canal is so shallow. Talk is about a new basin project at Chesterfield and maybe linking the canal to the river Rother then into the south yorks navigation thereby making a circular route, hope it dosent put you off too much but please dont be in a hurry if you decide you want to do it, one last word of warning getting into West Stockwith is an experiance not to be missed a tip call Sue up the lock keeper and take her advise before trying to gain entry into the lock also when ure on your finals watch Sue,s commands she will stand on the wall and direct you when to turn into the lock.

Thanks Bouy.

Last time I seem to remember that being at tickover didn't work, we still got the same amount of weed on the prop but we just didn't go anywhere either. But there are many types of weed, it may be a different one that prevails now so I'll try tickover first (we won't be in any hurry)

When we went through Stockwith before, we waited on the wall just upstream of the lock until it was ready, then slipped slowly back along the wall and used the downstream corner as a pivot - which seemed to work OK. But we've got VHF radio and mobile phones these days so hopefully talking to the lock keeper will be easier.

Unlike when we tried to enter Keadby in our previous boat, the lock-keeper kept pointing directions which I tried to follow until giving up and ignoring them; it turned out he was pointing the direction he wanted me to push the tiller and not (as I had assumed) the direction he wanted me to steer the boat. What didn't help then was that as I tried to enter the lock from what was by then a really difficult direction, the engine decided to overheat and seize up just as I engaged reverse gear; it was really quite a big bump!

ooer my neck of the woods! The Chesterfield is beautiful - a little weedy but not too bad although we've not boated it (yet). If you stop at West Stockwith try the pub The Waterfront - do very nice meals and usually have a guest ale or two as well - nice people -nice friendly pub. The pub at Drakesholes is a bit posher but nice for a pint or two. We often pop down there of a summer weekend evening, walk the dogs for while and have a pint before going home.

I have just returned from felling trees down at the Renishaw part of the Chesterfield Canal and I asked the question about weed. Apparently about 8-9 years ago they got a weed cutter and there hasn't been a problem since. My source said that when it was sunny prior to this boat movement came to a complete standstill.

I have just returned from felling trees down at the Renishaw part of the Chesterfield Canal and I asked the question about weed. Apparently about 8-9 years ago they got a weed cutter and there hasn't been a problem since. My source said that when it was sunny prior to this boat movement came to a complete standstill.

Excellent news, thank you. I've now definitely added the Chesterfield to this year's itinerary

ooer my neck of the woods! The Chesterfield is beautiful - a little weedy but not too bad although we've not boated it (yet). If you stop at West Stockwith try the pub The Waterfront - do very nice meals and usually have a guest ale or two as well - nice people -nice friendly pub. The pub at Drakesholes is a bit posher but nice for a pint or two. We often pop down there of a summer weekend evening, walk the dogs for while and have a pint before going home.

The Waterfront is a great pub, lovely meals and great beer! But, I have to recommend the White Hart further down the road, less than 5 minute walk, first pub before the village, as last year they had just started their own brewery and their beer is fantastic! :stop: They're also better for a quick, cheap pub lunch whereas the Waterfront has lovely evening meal type food (if you get my meaning)

The weed was no problem when we went either Allan, and the lady lock keeper is a sweetheart too! Very helpful. The only problem we had in the basin was the constant side wind, makes mooring up in the visitor moorings quite interesting! But it's all part of the fun isn't it? B)

This is about the worst weed we encountered, this was in August 2006

2ywwql1.jpg

I have loads more piccies if your interested Allan.

The Waterfront is a great pub, lovely meals and great beer! But, I have to recommend the White Hart further down the road, less than 5 minute walk, first pub before the village, as last year they had just started their own brewery and their beer is fantastic! :stop: They're also better for a quick, cheap pub lunch whereas the Waterfront has lovely evening meal type food (if you get my meaning)

The weed was no problem when we went either Allan, and the lady lock keeper is a sweetheart too! Very helpful. The only problem we had in the basin was the constant side wind, makes mooring up in the visitor moorings quite interesting! But it's all part of the fun isn't it? B)

This is about the worst weed we encountered, this was in August 2006

2ywwql1.jpg

I have loads more piccies if your interested Allan.

Please send in more pics i have fished this particular stretch many times and it holds some loverly big chub, have also seen it in the 1950,s when it was weeded up hardly any water in and un navigable its the next lock upstream after forest lock.

I was stuck on the Chesterfield for six weeks last summer due to floods and other factors, and went up and down it twice. The Retford and Worksop Boat Club at Clayworth were very welcoming ( l left the boat there twice for a few days), and the pub in the village excellent (the first one you come to - can't remember the name). The first section from West Stockwith to Drakeholes is a little shallow, but I was OK with a draft of just over 2ft. There was very little problem with weed. Excellent quiet moorings at Forest Locks. Pity about Worksop - could do with being moved a few miles east, out of the way of the canal. The main problem is timing your arrival at West Stockwith to get in - it can be a little fraught if the tide is running much.

Mac

Great pictures. Can't wait to go there now.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it....mind you I'm biased - I moor there!!

The weed wasn't much of a problem last year. There was a section between Retford and Forest Locks where it became a bit tiresome in late July/August but not really a big problem.

As previously mentionned the mooring at Forest Locks is beautiful.

Hope to see you when you visit

Chris

• 9 months later...

No fixed planned yet, but it has been mooted that emilyanne could venture onto the chesterfield canal this summer so im doing a bit of footwork on possable routes.

Did you make it in the end Allan?

Estimated transit time up the canal and back?

Daniel

No fixed planned yet, but it has been mooted that emilyanne could venture onto the chesterfield canal this summer so im doing a bit of footwork on possable routes.

Daniel

Daniel

West Stockwith to the top at Norwood and back can be done in a week.

Chris

Yes we made it quite easily. Pictures and report are here.

We actually spent 10 days on the canal, but could have made it there and back in a week quite easily. It was simply beautiful and well worth the trip. There were no problems with weed. One problem you will almost certainly have with E-A is that you will find it impossible to moor at anywhere other than the recognised mooring spots and the lock moorings, because the edges are very shallow everywhere else.

Getting in at West Stockwith is interesting if the current is running strongly!

Edited because I didn't look at dates! :lol:

It's a good job you said that as I was just about to post also, without checking the dates!

What I was going to say is delay your visit until after this years IWA at Kiveton, all of the visiting boaters should clear the weed up for you! :lol: