Toilet waste tanks - fittings again!

Featured Posts

Try Immodium, couple of those and all your problems will be solved. For the record they're an anti dirarea medication.

When you stop taking it's not like the bottom falls out of your world, more like the world falls out of your bottom.

K

2 hours ago, MrshappyH said:

Our wardrobe.  Not willing to risk the smells tbh and just want everything contained in one room ! 

If there are no connections to the tank in there then how could any smells get out. My tank is 2ft in the toilet and 2 foot in the galley with the stove sitting on top of it. An important point I found was making sure the pan is sealed to the top of the tank, on our share boat it wasn't. 

48 minutes ago, kevinl said:

Try Immodium, couple of those and all your problems will be solved. For the record they're an anti dirarea medication.

When you stop taking it's not like the bottom falls out of your world, more like the world falls out of your bottom.

K

You're a rare un for sure. Hope you get the satisfaction you crave 🤗

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If there are no connections to the tank in there then how could any smells get out. My tank is 2ft in the toilet and 2 foot in the galley with the stove sitting on top of it. An important point I found was making sure the pan is sealed to the top of the tank, on our share boat it wasn't. 

I think we've solved it with the wedge. Going to check with Lee of Lee San tomorrow. Whilst it's true what you say I'd rather it all be in one place incase if random leaks etc and holes and pipes leaking etc. realise it's highly unlikely with plastic. Is this super tank with filter worth it ? We're going for total aerobic + quickener. Is one air vent at gunnel enough ? Where Else would we put them?  Got the previous comments re size matching outlet 38mm. 

39 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

(A sometime teacher of maths writes..)

Cuboid?

The Borg are a spacefaring race, and their primary interstellar transport and combat vessel is known as a "Borg Cube" due to its shape. A cube was first seen during the Borg's introduction in the Next Generation episode "Q Who", which established the vessel as vastly exceeding the capability of the Enterprise .

See related image detail. Seven Of Nine Hairstyle - Best Haircut 2020

Image result for did the borg live in a cube

Edited by Alan de Enfield

So I have read about multiple vents being required..the more you have the more air to feed the bacteria ..the less smell.  ... It's all new to me so anyone got more than one let me know. Somebody was saying something about computer fans but for life of me can't work out where it would go!

18 minutes ago, MrshappyH said:

Somebody was saying something about computer fans but for life of me can't work out where it would go!

Two vents at opposite ends of the tank. And with a fan fitted in one of the vent pipes oriented to suck air from the tank and blow it to outside so fresh air is sucked in through the other vent, and the tank pressure is slightly below cabin pressure, to minimise smells coming up through the toilet bowl.

A bilge blower fan is better than a computer fan as it can more easily be connected to the vent pipes.

18 minutes ago, MrshappyH said:

Wow thank you for that info . 

As you are no longer having a dump through it doesn't really matter as apart from the vent its a fully sealed system. I had a friend who had two vents fitted, one each side of the boat, the stink coming from the down wind side of the boat was terrible, corking one up fixed it.

Ok .. starting to get a headache with all this. .. did this person use chems or just aerobic bacteria do you know ? I've read one of the problems of tanks smelling is not enough  air feeding the bacteria..   we are determined to crack this and be pleasant smelling 😊

3 minutes ago, MrshappyH said:

Ok .. starting to get a headache with all this. .. did this person use chems or just aerobic bacteria do you know ? I've read one of the problems of tanks smelling is not enough  air feeding the bacteria..   we are determined to crack this and be pleasant smelling 😊

But if everyone is saying it won't smell with a macerator and one vent is enough then I will make it so 

We are planning to use Ridgid pipes where possible to minimize smell 

1 hour ago, MrshappyH said:

We are planning to use Ridgid pipes where possible to minimize smell 

Just took a pump out system out of a boat to install a cassette type toilet. The pump out used rigid pipe and right angles both in and out. Looking inside the rigid pipe the internal diameter had decreased by over half with build up of encrusted solids on the internal wall of the pipe.. 

Just now, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Just took a pump out system out of a boat to install a cassette type toilet. The pump out used rigid pipe and right angles both in and out. Looking inside the rigid pipe the internal diameter had decreased by over half with build up of encrusted solids on the internal wall of the pipe.. 

That's good to know 👍

I see frequent mentions of "not using chemicals".   I am not sure I would class Odorlos as a "chemical" in the sense most people mean when they say chemicals.

The treatment is a blend of enzymes, friendly bacteria and surfactants (compounds that lower the surface tension of the liquid) which help to break down waste and tissue. Odourlos (Odorlos) is 100% organic, biodegradable and suitable for any black water tank system and chemically sensitive people.

27 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I see frequent mentions of "not using chemicals".   I am not sure I would class Odorlos as a "chemical" in the sense most people mean when they say chemicals.

The treatment is a blend of enzymes, friendly bacteria and surfactants (compounds that lower the surface tension of the liquid) which help to break down waste and tissue. Odourlos (Odorlos) is 100% organic, biodegradable and suitable for any black water tank system and chemically sensitive people.

So I read you're not meant to mix enzymes with the aerobic bacteria (obv there will be some in there) but if you're going for the numbers of total aerobicness 😆.  It was just a Google search that told me that. Apparently the conditions for enzymes are different? And the two don't mix. We aren't doing enzymes anyway as it's way harder to get the balance right apparently.. sigh if only I could opt for a compost. We've got 3 friends with composts on their boats.. 

30 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Ok though your point is noted. I have been advised that they aren't suitable however ?! 🤷‍♀️

10 minutes ago, MrshappyH said:

So I read you're not meant to mix enzymes with the aerobic bacteria (obv there will be some in there) but if you're going for the numbers of total aerobicness 😆.  It was just a Google search that told me that. Apparently the conditions for enzymes are different? And the two don't mix. We aren't doing enzymes anyway as it's way harder to get the balance right apparently.. sigh if only I could opt for a compost. We've got 3 friends with composts on their boats.. 

Ok though your point is noted. I have been advised that they aren't suitable however ?! 🤷‍♀️

I assume you can't opt for a composting toilet as you have nowhere to finish the composting.   If you had it would be no problem Peterboat manages well with a composting toilet.