Booking Liverpool Link Passage: Am I missing something?

JRT

Featured Posts

I an trying to book a Liverpool link passage and a berth in Salhouse Dock for mid-June this year. Trouble is, according to the CRT Booking Information it is booked solid for at least a year from the end of this month! Surely this cannot be right?  Any insight would be gratefully received 🙂

1 minute ago, JRT said:

I an trying to book a Liverpool link passage and a berth in Salhouse Dock for mid-June this year. Trouble is, according to the CRT Booking Information it is booked solid for at least a year from the end of this month! Surely this cannot be right?  Any insight would be gratefully received 🙂

Well I have met 3 boats just this week who are going, so it may be busy. I would suggest you ring them tomorrow morning

2 hours ago, JRT said:

Brilliant. Thanks. That worked. The CRT site is not very clear/helpful/intuitive or maybe I'm just a bit thick!

We are going into Liverpool next week and the bit that I found was hard to understand was the Bridgewater booking.  My guess is the framework is not really designed for that type of booking, andit took me a bit of time to get my head around how it worked.

I thought I'd like to have a few days on the Bridgewater, but it seems I need to pay for a boat safety tyoe Certificate, as well as a payment to use the water, is this so, I thought there was some reciprocal agreement?

Edited by LadyG

No, its not true. You will have a BSS which covers you for the bridgewater. At least a day before you go onto the Bridgewater, go to your bit (ie log in) of the C & RT web site and go to book your passage (or similar) and it will tell you the rules for C&RT boats using the bridgewater. 

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I thought I'd like to have a few days on the Bridgewater, but it seems I need to pay for a boat safety tyoe Certificate, as well as a payment to use the water, is this so, I thought there was some reciprocal agreement?

Are you thinking of the Manchester Ship Canal?

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You are confusing the Bridgewater canal with the Manchester Ship canal.  You do not need anything for the Bridgewater you just book you visit on the usual CRT bootkong site.  You get 7 days for and outward journey plus an optional additional 3 days for a return journey within 28 days from the first day of the out bound journey.  The wording used does not make sense if you example you are using it like we just did for tansit from T&M to the Leeds Liverpool, but that is how it works.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You get 7 days for and outward journey plus an optional additional 3 days for a return journey within 28 days from the first day of the out bound journey.  The wording used does not make sense if you example you are using it like we just did for tansit from T&M to the Leeds Liverpool, but that is how it works.

So are you not returning within 28 days? If you are you'll need to use the 3-day bit to get back as you can't make 2 separate bookings in any 28 day period.

If you're going across the Mersey, across the Ribble or up Wigan flight you won't need to bother booking the Bridgewater passage.

Of course if you're spending more than a month this side of Leigh it doesn't matter anyway, it's a separate journey booking for the Bridgewater.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So are you not returning within 28 days? If you are you'll need to use the 3-day bit to get back as you can't make 2 separate bookings in any 28 day period.

If you're going across the Mersey, across the Ribble or up Wigan flight you won't need to bother booking the Bridgewater passage.

Of course if you're spending more than a month this side of Leigh it doesn't matter anyway, it's a separate journey booking for the Bridgewater.

In our case it will be 30 days from the start of the outbound to the return, so it would not let us do it as one booking.  So when we return I will make a new booking.  It was a combination of 28 days and not a month, and the fact that the clock starts when you enter start the Bridgwater outbound 7 days, that had me confused to start with, as I was thinking our 30 days would count as one trip but it does not.

Edited by john6767
  • Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Aha, yes, i am indeed, lol.

The Manchester Ship Canal is a completely different thing regarding rules etc. I don't think you can go on it "for a few days" you can only use it to transit between Manchester, Ellesmere Port and the Weaver. I dont know all the rules now but perhaps someone could point you in the right direction. 

Edited by haggis

18 minutes ago, john6767 said:

In our case it will be 30 days from the start of the outbound to the return, so it would not let us do it as one booking.  So when we return I will make a new booking.  It was a combination of 28 days and not a month, and the fact that the clock starts when you enter start the Bridgwater outbound 7 days, that had me confused to start with, as I was thinking our 30 days would count as one trip but it does not.

Fair enough.  The one that's caught me out before is that you can't book passage for the same day, so if you suddenly decide you want to go onto the Bridgewater today you have to wait until tomorrow.  Or ring CRT and grumble at them! 😁

16 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Would anyone know/care if you booked for tomorrow and went today?  I think you would at least be trying to adher to the spirit of the agreement if not the exact letter. 

I've wondered about that!  I usually remember to book a day in advance but I have forgotten occasionally and have gone onto the Bridgewater anyway. I survived to tell the tale 🙂 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I've wondered about that!  I usually remember to book a day in advance but I have forgotten occasionally and have gone onto the Bridgewater anyway. I survived to tell the tale 🙂 

I forgot to book the Bridgewater last year and nobody arrested me, even though we stayed overnight on it twice... 🙂

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

Would anyone know/care if you booked for tomorrow and went today?  I think you would at least be trying to adher to the spirit of the agreement if not the exact letter. 

doubt it, but at least on the way out you get 7 days, so there is no harm in booking it early, and it only takes 2 days from Preston Brook to Leigh for example, so for example book it when you get to Middlewich for the next day and you will be good.

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have never worried about booking, the boats off the Bridgewater don't seem to bother when and how long they are on the C&RT waters in my observations.

I have known one to get a ticket

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have never worried about booking, the boats off the Bridgewater don't seem to bother when and how long they are on the C&RT waters in my observations.

I have known one to get a ticket